Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 60 Tigers vs. Red Sox June 9, 2017

the AL team average BA is .252 and the Tigers are at .253 so your 75% is accurate. I was talking about good - great players having a 30% success rate

Unfortunately are great hitters aren't hitting like great hitters. I know people will disagree with me on this but the hitting, imo, has played it's role on a .500 season. Not as much but it has. Fortunately others are hitting well: JD, and Alice and Upton, and Iggy is coming around.

Wonder where we'd be if Nick hit like last season, if Kinsler did, or Miggy etc. It's funny home runs are fine so far but Miggy and Victor are way below what they had last season...

Home Offense 2nd

Away Offense 12th

vs LHP 3rd

vs LHP as LH 15th

vs LHP as RH 2nd

vs RHP 8th

vs RHP as LH 5th

vs RHP as RH 10th

No Shift 8th

Traditional Shift 1st

Non-Traditional 5th

Bases Empty 8th

Men On 3rd

w/RISP 5th

1-3 Innings = 1st

4-6 Innings = 10th

7-9 Innings = 15th

vs Power Pitchers = 15th

vs Average = 6th

vs Groundball = 4th

And for the record, Comerica increases a team/player's BAVG. It is a horrible stat to use when comparing teams, as well as overall stats. Home park biases, one way or the other influence it. Hardly a season goes by the COL isn't ranked in the top 3 in offense. What does that exactly say?

Again, I stated that obviously relief pitching is a problem. But no one is getting on the offense for not adding onto the run total or coming back when down. When is the last come from behind win? HOU had 14 come from behind wins by May 8th.

Home Offense 2nd

Away Offense 12th

vs LHP 3rd

vs LHP as LH 15th

vs LHP as RH 2nd

vs RHP 8th

vs RHP as LH 5th

vs RHP as RH 10th

No Shift 8th

Traditional Shift 1st

Non-Traditional 5th

Bases Empty 8th

Men On 3rd

w/RISP 5th

1-3 Innings = 1st

4-6 Innings = 10th

7-9 Innings = 15th

vs Power Pitchers = 15th

vs Average = 6th

vs Groundball = 4th

And for the record, Comerica increases a team/player's BAVG. It is a horrible stat to use when comparing teams, as well as overall stats. Home park biases, one way or the other influence it. Hardly a season goes by the COL isn't ranked in the top 3 in offense. What does that exactly say?

Again, I stated that obviously relief pitching is a problem. But no one is getting on the offense for not adding onto the run total or coming back when down. When is the last come from behind win? HOU had 14 come from behind wins by May 8th.

no matter how you look at it, the Pitching is more to blame than the offense.

no matter how you look at it, the Pitching is more to blame than the offense.

Do you just ignore my assertions just to be confrontational? I have said relief pitching has been the problem. It has been a problem for years.

The contention is that the offense, after the first 3 innings and especially on the road, is problematic as well. There is no consistency with this offense. None. Arguing over whether it is the leaking roof or the non-functional furnace that keeps your house on the market is quite the argument.

Or maybe you have an unrealistic standard for an MLB offense

No I have eyes. I see many players hitting like shit compared to their career numbers, or even last year numbers.. I think what Reb posted is a good point, they're much lower on the road.. So for half the season we know they're the 12th best.. Sub .700 OPS on the road this season.. Not good.

Do you just ignore my assertions just to be confrontational? I have said relief pitching has been the problem. It has been a problem for years.

The contention is that the offense, after the first 3 innings and especially on the road, is problematic as well. There is no consistency with this offense. None. Arguing over whether it is the leaking roof or the non-functional furnace that keeps your house on the market is quite the argument.

no, I just feel that all offenses are going to be more inconsistent due to the failure rate of batters. I really don't care too much if they score 5 in the first or 5 in the 7th. They still scored 5 runs.

As far as your non functional furnace or leaky roof. I would compare the Tigers offense to an older roof that needs new shingles and the pitching to a serious foundation problem.

offense ranked 4th
team pitching ranked 14th

no, I just feel that all offenses are going to be more inconsistent due to the failure rate of batters. I really don't care too much if they score 5 in the first or 5 in the 7th. They still scored 5 runs.

As far as your non functional furnace or leaky roof. I would compare the Tigers offense to an older roof that needs new shingles and the pitching to a serious foundation problem.

offense ranked 4th

Away

Offense = 11th

Pitching = 11th

offense ranked 4th

All teams should have the same inconsistencies then right?

Away

Offense = 11th

Pitching = 11th

They do get to play 1/2 of their games at home....right?

Tigers team ERA is 5.16 on the road which is 14th
team ERA is 4.27 at home which is 3rd

The pitching is better at home too.

We are looking at team stats. If it's easier for the batters at Comerica Park, and more difficult on the road, wouldn't you expect that the pitchers home ERA would be higher than on the road?

They do get to play 1/2 of their games at home....right?

Tigers team ERA is 5.16 on the road which is 14th
team ERA is 4.27 at home which is 3rd

The pitching is better at home too.

We are looking at team stats. If it's easier for the batters at Comerica Park, and more difficult on the road, wouldn't you expect that the pitchers home ERA would be higher than on the road?

It is 13th, not 3rd.

Listen, if you don't understand the using away stats as a comparison of teams and negating home park biases, then there is nothing anyone including myself can cite that will be useful.

I think that all offenses are inconsistent. Having the same inconsistencies...of course not.

HOME
1. NYY
2. DET
4. HOU

AWAY
1. HOU
2. NYY

11. DET

vs RHP
1. NYY
2. HOU

6. DET

vs LHP
2. HOU
3. DET
5. NYY

Bases Empty
1. HOU
2. NYY

7. DET

Men On

1. NYY
2. HOU
3. DET

w/RISP
2. NYY
4. DET
5. HOU

Innings 1-3
1. DET
3. NYY
4. HOU

Innings 4-6
1. NYY
5. HOU

7. DET
Innings 7-9
1. NYY
2. HOU

15. DET

HOME
1. NYY
2. DET
4. HOU

AWAY
1. HOU
2. NYY

11. DET

vs RHP
1. NYY
2. HOU

6. DET

vs LHP
2. HOU
3. DET
5. NYY

Bases Empty
1. HOU
2. NYY

7. DET

Men On

1. NYY
2. HOU
3. DET

w/RISP
2. NYY
4. DET
5. HOU

Innings 1-3
1. DET
3. NYY
4. HOU

Innings 4-6
1. NYY
5. HOU

7. DET
Innings 7-9
1. NYY
2. HOU

15. DET

I said all offenses are inconsistent. Not where or when, but inconsistent.

It is 13th, not 3rd.

Listen, if you don't understand the using away stats as a comparison of teams and negating home park biases, then there is nothing anyone including myself can cite that will be useful.

my bad....I had the sort order reversed.

Looks like the pitching it terrible at home and away....unlike the offense which is at least good at home.

I'm glad they play 1/2 of their games at home.

Looks like the pitching it terrible at home and away....unlike the offense which is at least good at home.

So we can ignore the other 1/2 of the games? Let's just do away with the away schedule altogether. Because the home games are the only ones that count.

This is the reason why the offense is part of the problem. Not the most, but part. No one is saying they're the reason we're under .500, the most. It's too easy to say the offense isn't the problem because they're ranked 3rd or 4th you have to dig deeper..

Back