Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 8: Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland A's 1:10 p.m. EST 4/6

Rally cap time.. Or in this case floating shelf display on head time.

Walks, one big swing mar solid start for Maeda.
Tigers official site

Athletics 4 - Tigers 0: Wait a minute, that’s not a one-run win.
Tigers hitters either hit the ball right at Athletics defenders, or barely hit the ball at all.
BYBTB

Athletics pitching shuts down Tigers, hands them second loss.
Detnews

Offense, not Kenta Maeda, to blame in Detroit Tigers' 4-0 loss to Oakland Athletics.
Freep

Tigers’ bats go cold in shutout loss to Athletics.
Mlive

Last edited:
I think we are 15-35 verses Oakland since 2015. Plus I heard on a show they own us recently at Comerica. 3-4 last season . Need to beat this crappy team !

I think we are 15-35 verses Oakland since 2015. Plus I heard on a show they own us recently at Comerica. 3-4 last season . Need to beat this crappy team !
Bad teams still win 50+ every year. And who are we we're not a 100 win team. It happens.

I have a feeling that this past 7 game stretch will be the best of the season. I guess we would be happy if they go about .500 the rest of the way. 84-78 would be respectable. :)
I wrote down 79-83 on March 12.

This Tigers team seems to be opportunistic and are creating late runs due to getting into some mediocre teams bullpens. Fact is half the position starters are hitting below .200 and .100 and is a cause of concern. Most of the starters are pitching well as are the bullpen. As this team is now I think they will have trouble with the AL East again and a few other teams of better than .500 Hoping for warmer weather to cure the early slumps and what ails Maeda.

Last edited:
Bad teams still win 50+ every year. And who are we we're not a 100 win team. It happens.
I am aware that is the point . Oakland has been bad for three years now. Remember we are terrible verses the East last year. I’d just like to see us go 5-2 or 6-1 against a team that is suppose to be worse than we are. I know bad teams still win 50 games. I’d just like to be over .500 against them. Keeping my fingers crossed we can ..
We have to start making it hard for teams to win at Detroit !

I am aware that is the point . Oakland has been bad for three years now. Remember we are terrible verses the East last year. I’d just like to see us go 5-2 or 6-1 against a team that is suppose to be worse than we are. I know bad teams still win 50 games. I’d just like to be over .500 against them. Keeping my fingers crossed we can ..
We have to start making it hard for teams to win at Detroit !
Every team would like to go 5-2 or 6-1 against them but that's not possible unless we'd expect Oakland to only win 20 games. Heck, they beat Atlanta last season in a series. It's one game, and this team is not built to score.

DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

Through Saturday’s games, the Detroit Tigers are 6-2. Five of those games were decided by 1 run.
In most of them, the winning runs came in the late innings and the leads changed hands throughout the games.

This is in contrast to previous years when the Tigers had a very hard time overcoming their opponents’ leads and found it difficult to score in the later innings.

A number of sports broadcasters have described the Tigers’ games as “white knucklers” given that they often weren’t won until the last innings.

How do you view the Tigers’ new scoring pattern?
Do you see the 1-run scoring difference more as a concern over offense?
Or do you see this team more as one with the talent and grit to fight back?

Today’s blog addresses this question and allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!
For this one blog only, you’ve got 6 sentences max to share your thoughts. Of course, you can also respond to other readers.

TT will supply the ammunition. One thought-provoking question. Several options provided. One hard choice only to be selected. One vote.
Ready?

What is the primary reason for the Tigers' 1-run game results?

1. Problems with creating more offense.

2. An increase in talent/grit that keeps them in games.

VOTE

Like I said yesterday I'd be more worried if they were striking out a ton. The early parts of the game had a lot of hard hit balls that went for nothing.

Carpenters hit would have been a HR anywhere else mostly.

Once they got behind they clearly pressed and swang too early in counts. Unfortunately to a degree they actually made contact lol.

Their babip is now 28th in the league.

Last year it was .291 we currently sit at .247

Every team would like to go 5-2 or 6-1 against them but that's not possible unless we'd expect Oakland to only win 20 games. Heck, they beat Atlanta last season in a series. It's one game, and this team is not built to score.
Maybe we should fire the hitting coaches then. Seems like hitting has been an issue for a while now. You can’t keep blaming the cold weather. Hopefully they win today and take a series from a team that has dominated them since 2015.

Maybe we should fire the hitting coaches then. Seems like hitting has been an issue for a while now. You can’t keep blaming the cold weather. Hopefully they win today and take a series from a team that has dominated them since 2015.
Who's blaming the cold weather. Just look at the lineup too many guys who haven't been good hitters or ones who haven't proven enough that we know yet. Did anyone look at this lineup and thought we'd be juggernauants? That's not how this team is going to win games. It never was.

Like I said yesterday I'd be more worried if they were striking out a ton. The early parts of the game had a lot of hard hit balls that went for nothing.

Carpenters hit would have been a HR anywhere else mostly.

Once they got behind they clearly pressed and swang too early in counts. Unfortunately to a degree they actually made contact lol.

Their babip is now 28th in the league.

Last year it was .291 we currently sit at .247
I think they said 22 or 23 parks. I'm sure the other teams have hit balls like that in our stadium that would have been gone in others .. Those are just excuses. In a normal day the Kelly and Meadows "hits" would and should have been errors.

Back