Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hey, Tinsel

Michchamp

a couple weeks ago I moved offices, and am in a very Jewish part of the city now.

Twice in the last week, while outside my office, an Orthodox Jewish guy has come up to me and asked "Excuse me sir, are you Jewish?"

when I say "no" in both cases they just walked away.

What the hell did they want, do you think? should I say yes next time and see?

He was recruiting you to the JDL, assuming you had said you were Jewish.

But you could join the JDL if you want to; I’ve been a member of the JDL for years. I believe. everybody should be a member of one quasi-subversive paramilitary organization, and to me the JDL is the coolest one. It’s like being Elvis with a kippah.

For a goy to be admitted to the JDL, all you
have to do is demonstrate a psychopathological devotion to the nation of Israel - however - and there’s a paradox here – – it has to be reasonable to have that psychopathology.

One might say for example “my devotion to Israel is part of my devotion to the United States military, and a strong Israel in the region is a key strategic advantage for us,” or one might say “according to the book of revelations, Israel must be under Jewish control in order for the rapture to occur and for Jesus to bring about the end of days.”

You just have to be sure to be convincing though, or they might think you’re secretly a white supremest attempting to infiltrate them – not entirely unlike the Jewish FBI agent in BlackKlansman infiltrated the KKK, only, ya know, backwards - and 86 you.

Hmmm... I think I'll just keep saying "No" when they ask.

The JDL is classified as a "terrorist group" ... by ... the ... F.B.I. Pot, collide with kettle.

The JDL is classified as a "terrorist group" ... by ... the ... F.B.I. Pot, collide with kettle.

I know, right?

That said, as I put in post #2, we prefer “quasi-subversive paramilitary organization...”

Last edited:
a couple weeks ago I moved offices, and am in a very Jewish part of the city now.

Twice in the last week, while outside my office, an Orthodox Jewish guy has come up to me and asked "Excuse me sir, are you Jewish?"

when I say "no" in both cases they just walked away.

What the hell did they want, do you think? should I say yes next time and see?

It is common in Orthodox Judaic areas for Jewish men to ask this during the holiday of Sukkot. It is not an attempt to convert anyone, but if you answer "yes", it is usually followed up with a question related to whether you have performed your day's prayer and shaking of the lulav and etrog.

https://forward.com/news/184484/meet-the-are-you-jewish-chabad-guys/

This is typically only experienced in very Orthodox locations as it is a "mitzvah" (good deed) to assist anyone in the fulfillment of this.

Sukkot is the "forgotten" of the major Jewish holidays, the Orthodox are attempting to help "lost" Jews experience a piece of Judaism again. In this small way, the hope is to have someone experience a tiny spark of increased desire to learn more about their Judaic self, even if only to a small degree. As opposed to converting anyone, it is targeted toward helping Jews who are not religious to have a moment of connection to their Judaic roots.

In a very loose sense, it would be like during Easter (admittedly a poor choice in the sense that Easter is NOT forgotten by any means, but being a major holiday it is what I opted to represent a level of importance) having a Catholic asking, "Are Catholic" and if you were to reply something to the effect "I used to be" then they would ask, "Have Crossed Yourself today? No? May we say a blessing together then?" And you would say a prayer and make the sign of the Cross. Will that bring you back to your Catholic roots? Doubtful. But even if it made you think for a moment about performing that ritual, that is fulfilling the "mitzvah" as just the thought by itself has placed before you a path to return and allowed you the freedom to follow that path or not.

My apologies if you (or anyone) viewed this equivalence as a "strawman" (or otherwise inappropriate) statement. In honesty, all of this was more of a response directed toward Tinsel in the hope he will participate in Sukkos next year...who knows, maybe he will even build a Sukkah and invite people over to celebrate with food and drinks since it is actually a great excuse to get together with friends, family, and even strangers over the course of 10 days! A belated "Chag Sameach, Tinsel"! ;P

Welcome back, zyxt!

thanks for answering the question.

Back