Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

?Hi, my name is Matthew, although you may know me by another name.

tinselwolverine

My friends call me Matty. And I should be dead.?

Many years ago - lifetimes ago - I called him Matty.

Farewell, my long ago friend.

Matthew Perry departed, age 54.

Jeez, rest in peace Mr. Perry. Did you know him Tinsel?

Drowning in his pool - dang. I always say never go in the pool by yourself.

Young and successful with the Friends tv show, and movies. RIP.

There have been other celebrities in recent time;

Richard Moll from Nightcourt

Richard Roundtree from the Shaft movie(s).

Yeah, I was sadder about Richard Moll. not much of the original Night Court cast left. Maybe just John Larroquette

I was reading about Matthew Perry's health history. freaking YIKES. I had no idea pills could destroy your colon like that. It's amazing he was still alive. But yeah, don't go in the pool alone when you've destroyed your body like that...

Jeez, rest in peace Mr. Perry. Did you know him Tinsel?

Drowning in his pool - dang. I always say never go in the pool by yourself.

A long time ago - during the late 80s.

He was about 18 at the time.

A large group of us would play softball in a park in the Hollywood Hills.

He obviously wasn?t famous or a star at the time.

He was really a nice guy - a kid.

This would have been before his issues with substance abuse started - back then, he was too young to come out with us to the clubs.

?Friends? started about six years after the last time I saw him.

Now, this is weird - I?m about as somber and lugubrious in real life as I am on this board - but for some reason, everything I said would just crack this kid up.

A long time ago - during the late 80s.

He was about 18 at the time.

A large group of us would play softball in a park in the Hollywood Hills.

He obviously wasn?t famous or a star at the time.

He was really a nice guy - a kid.

This would have been before his issues with substance abuse started - back then, he was too young to come out with us to the clubs.

?Friends? started about six years after the last time I saw him.

Now, this is weird - I?m about as somber and lugubrious in real life as I am on this board - but for some reason, everything I said would just crack this kid up.
Sorry for the loss of your friend.

I always like him into the movie with Selma Hyack.. Fools Rush In. And Whole Nine Yards.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

I always like him into the movie with Selma Hyack.. Fools Rush In. And Whole Nine Yards.

I haven?t known him in a while, but we did like each other during the time we knew each other.

First, a tragedy. Second, drowning seems to be a prevalent COD among celebrities. My suspicious nature suspects that this investigation needs to scrape to the bottom of the kettle.

First, a tragedy. Second, drowning seems to be a prevalent COD among celebrities. My suspicious nature suspects that this investigation needs to scrape to the bottom of the kettle.

having a heart attack in the pool or hot tub is an easy way to drown. he was practically dead a few years ago, so this one doesn't seem too surprising to me.

the only thing that did surprise me was how far into alcoholism and drug addiction he took himself. He destroyed himself.

It's not like vicodin makes you feel THAT good. I can see those guys who die chasing the heroin rush (not that I'm familiar with it, but from what I've read). But popping painkillers so much they eat apart your insides and ruin your life... just bizarre.

I imagine with the residuals he got from Friends alone, he'd never have to work again.

having a heart attack in the pool or hot tub is an easy way to drown. he was practically dead a few years ago, so this one doesn't seem too surprising to me.

the only thing that did surprise me was how far into alcoholism and drug addiction he took himself. He destroyed himself.

It's not like vicodin makes you feel THAT good. I can see those guys who die chasing the heroin rush (not that I'm familiar with it, but from what I've read). But popping painkillers so much they eat apart your insides and ruin your life... just bizarre.

I imagine with the residuals he got from Friends alone, he'd never have to work again.

from what I read each of the 6 main cast members from Friends made $20M a year from the residuals. If I had that kind of money and liked to do drugs, I would hire a lifeguard to watch over me when I was in my hot tub.

Why do ppl with so much success and resources squander them and often meet sudden, early, untimely, and mysterious demises?

And he?s never going to.

Various Interwebs estimate his net worth was $120 million.

Nice work if you can get it.

I would imagine it?s hard to turn on a television anywhere in the world without ?Friends? being the lineup on some channel within the next 24 hours.

Interesting that the intro of F.R.I.E.N.D.S features Matthew Perry in a fountain expelling water from his mouth. In an episode he dumps dishes on the floor, wakes a baby and says "Well, what do you know, I'll be the one who dies first."

Interesting that the intro of F.R.I.E.N.D.S features Matthew Perry in a fountain expelling water from his mouth. In an episode he dumps dishes on the floor, wakes a baby and says "Well, what do you know, I'll be the one who dies first."

I was not really a fan of the show; I grudgingly watched it and made an effort to like it in college because I had a roommate who watched it regularly... but the jokes rarely landed with me and I found most of the cast unlikable.

I would've thought Joey or Phoebe would be the first to go. Oddly enough now, I think they were probably the only two kinda funny characters. Ross, Monica, Rachel, Chandler... ugh

Last edited by a moderator:
I never watched a single episode. I found those random factoids online.

I never watched a single episode. I found those random factoids online.

okay that makes more sense. I was honestly a little surprising thinking you were apparently a fan of the show... not really your demographic!

Wow, Tinsel ?..

That?s a great story. We were at the rose bowl for CU v UCLA when my wife got a text about Matthew Perry?s passing and she started to cry. At first I thought it was another bad situation for our family, but it was his death.

In the past few years she?d begun rewatching Friends, read his recent book and some reunion show of sorts. Not like we/she knew him or anything, but I?m going to relay your story to her ?.she will love it.

Why do ppl with so much success and resources squander them and often meet sudden, early, untimely, and mysterious demises?

Hollywood does weird things to families. Hollywood family - I think Chandler on the show was written with him in mind. I?ve hung out with Emilio Estevez courtesy of a girl I knew via UM being engaged to him ? a few different times and mostly during the ?crazy? Charlie Sheen shenanigans. They?re brothers, grew up together but handled that world/money/fame differently.

Hollywood does weird things to families. Hollywood family - I think Chandler on the show was written with him in mind. I?ve hung out with Emilio Estevez courtesy of a girl I knew via UM being engaged to him ? a few different times and mostly during the ?crazy? Charlie Sheen shenanigans. They?re brothers, grew up together but handled that world/money/fame differently.

That's a partial explanation that makes sense, but I think the reasons are far more nefarious. I consider "Hollywood" a mortal enemy to my immortal soul. And I think the movie that best illustrates this is Mulholland Dr. I believe that's what David Lynch was trying to communicate. But he did in a way so obtuse that you really have to look for the meaning.

Last edited:
Back