Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Illegal to spit??

"Jesus Christ was often cited in the Bible for spitting in public," Spence said. "(He) should either avoid Delta Township upon his return, repent and discontinue his spitting habits, or be willing to be arrested and taken to the Eaton County Jail for being a criminal."​
Huh. This law will greatly displease the Lord. For this reason, it should be struck from the books, lest his majestic long-distance miraculous spitting ability be criminal.

anti-spitting laws go back to the days of rampant tuberculosis, and it was seen as a health issue and a quality of life issue. But now it is excessive, and given that they aren't exactly addressing an existing problem, seems like it will be used mostly to harass people, especially homeless.

anyways... this lawyer is picking a dumb fight right now. Let the busy bodies on the city council have their anti-spitting law. If or when they actually try to charge someone with it, then go on the offensive... you'll have some public support then.

I don't think this is really interesting though.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Jesus Christ was often cited in the Bible for spitting in public," Spence said. "(He) should either avoid Delta Township upon his return, repent and discontinue his spitting habits, or be willing to be arrested and taken to the Eaton County Jail for being a criminal."​
Huh. This law will greatly displease the Lord. For this reason, it should be struck from the books, lest his majestic long-distance miraculous spitting ability be criminal.

anti-spitting laws go back to the days of rampant tuberculosis, and it was seen as a health issue and a quality of life issue. But now it is excessive, and given that they aren't exactly addressing an existing problem, seems like it will be used mostly to harass people, especially homeless.

anyways... this lawyer is picking a dumb fight right now. Let the busy bodies on the city council have their anti-spitting law. If or when they actually try to charge someone with it, then go on the offensive... you'll have some public support then.

I don't think this is really interesting though.

Oh, OK - I will quit starting threads I find interesting. Is that another one of those Champ ground rules I need to learn? How many of those are there?

Do you have as many as Gibbs (NCIS)?

Last edited:
Hey, I'm just sayin' I don't think it's that interesting.

Maybe I forgot the golden rule about not saying anything if you don't have anything nice to say.

I don't know who Gibbs is. I don't really watch TV shows.

Hey, I'm just sayin' I don't think it's that interesting.

Maybe I forgot the golden rule about not saying anything if you don't have anything nice to say.

I don't know who Gibbs is. I don't really watch TV shows.

Oh yeah, I forgot TV series references have no meaning to you most of the time.

But I certainly didn't mean to dodge your question/comment. Of course I knew about anti-spitting laws for health reasons. This was lumped in with urinating in public.

I found it interesting because it is Lansing's county. That go for MSmoo students too?

there used to be a website called "Dumb Laws" that compiled obscure and ridiculous laws that were on the books in each city/state.

reading it used to crack me up because I would think about the ridiculous situations and stupid self-absorbed nature of man that would lead to passing arcane laws just to address some perceived slight or other personal problem. Like I remember one that said "It shall be illegal for any man with a mustache to whistle at a woman within the city limits."

I'd like to see the event that lead to that one re-enacted.

there used to be a website called "Dumb Laws" that compiled obscure and ridiculous laws that were on the books in each city/state.

reading it used to crack me up because I would think about the ridiculous situations and stupid self-absorbed nature of man that would lead to passing arcane laws just to address some perceived slight or other personal problem. Like I remember one that said "It shall be illegal for any man with a mustache to whistle at a woman within the city limits."

I'd like to see the event that lead to that one re-enacted.

I have done the same thing, but this is a newly passed law - at least I thought it was. It certainly does qualify as a dumb law. How about expectorating in a urinal or other public restroom. That included too?

Well I was thinking we could use it against those MSU students - might be awhile before the courts get around to doing something about it.

I say all we need is a dedicated litigator to start reporting Moo U folks forcing the authorities to give a major fine or arrest someone. :*)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot TV series references have no meaning to you most of the time.

But I certainly didn't mean to dodge your question/comment. Of course I knew about anti-spitting laws for health reasons. This was lumped in with urinating in public.

I found it interesting because it is Lansing's county. That go for MSmoo students too?

EL is in neither Delta Twp or Eaton Co. via google maps. (according to the article it's only a Delta township ordinance, but it was adopted at the recommendation of the Eaton Co sheriff, but in either case, still couldn't apply to EL or MSU.)

guess the sheriff had a problem with some local mouthing off to them and spitting, figured it would be mighty convenient if they could've cuffed him and locked him up for that.

a law like this probably wouldn't last long on or off campus though... those liberal college students have access to cheap legal services via their student unions. that makes them less easy to push around. judge would throw it out.

some MSU student recently had a ticket thrown out for swearing at a meter maid who wrote him a ticket. They charged him with "terrorist threats" or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
EL is in neither Delta Twp or Eaton Co. via google maps. (according to the article it's only a Delta township ordinance, but it was adopted at the recommendation of the Eaton Co sheriff, but in either case, still couldn't apply to EL or MSU.)

guess the sheriff had a problem with some local mouthing off to them and spitting, figured it would be mighty convenient if they could've cuffed him and locked him up for that.

a law like this probably wouldn't last long on or off campus though... those liberal college students have access to cheap legal services via their student unions. that makes them less easy to push around. judge would throw it out.

some MSU student recently had a ticket thrown out for swearing at a meter maid who wrote him a ticket. They charged him with "terrorist threats" or something like that.

OK, back to being un-interesting. It sounded interesting when I first read it.

"Jesus Christ was often cited in the Bible for spitting in public,"

Does this mean he was cited by the authorities because it was against the law in Israel, or does it mean there are Bible citations about Jesus spitting in public?

I really don't remember reading about the occurrance of either, from my Catechism days.

The real question is, did Jesus turn his spit into wine?

Well is it really any more disgusting then turning the water used to wash peoples feet into wine?

Dang, I would think some fem group would be all over this, blah blah you can't make us swallow blah blah we have rights.

There's a beer made that way. It's called Chicha.

Dogfish made some once. You could only get it in Delaware.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I once saw some abherationals making the stuff on a National Geographic show.

It grossed me out.

Last edited:
Jesus made a paste of mud and saliva and cured a man's blindness. Not the same as spitting. As for the ordnance, he'd say "render unto Caesar..."

Meanwhile, it's perfectly legal to rip a baby from a mother's womb. Priorities.

Jesus made a paste of mud and saliva and cured a man's blindness. Not the same as spitting. As for the ordnance, he'd say "render unto Caesar..."

Meanwhile, it's perfectly legal to rip a baby from a mother's womb. Priorities.

it's perfectly legal for a mother to choose to rip a baby from her own womb. which... why not?

Jesus made a paste of mud and saliva and cured a man's blindness.

That is great...did he have enough saliva left over to make the rest of us a really great Brazilian IPA?

I hesitate to make Jesus jokes with you, because I've made you a little touchy about them in the past...

My dear darling, very Catholic and very recently departed mother also didn't appreciate when I made Jesus jokes...so out of respect for that, at the funeral last weekend, my Jewish wife and I didn't make any Jesus jokes...or at least I don't remember that we did...instead, we just made snarky comments to each other throughout the Mass and the burial about my...somewhat...actually I could say quite...unadmirable female sibling.

Last edited:
Back