Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jacoby Jones Resigns, 4yrs/14 Million

swami45

After seeing that I am a little less of a fan of the Tate signing

Jones is mainly a return guy. Tate is a much better all around WR and Jones may have gave Balt a discount to stay.

no comparison really. 6 a year for tate isn't horrible. Jones isn't worth more than 3.

to quote ESPN... http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/7400/why-keeping-jacoby-jones-was-so-critical
ESPN said:
Based on Jones' contract (which is similar to Dexter McCluster's three-year, $12 million deal), the Ravens aren't going to make the same mistake of going into the season thinking Jones is a No. 2 wide receiver. Once free agency and the draft are over, Jones could be the No. 3 or No. 4 receiver, which is exactly what he is. Line him outside a dozen times and let him go deep.
Tate is a legit #2, or at worst the best #3 in the league... Jones wishes he was anything more than a #4

Swami, is Jacoby Jones on your bowling team? That's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Here is my point. I see the Tate signing and still believe the lions will take a WR in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

I would rather pay Jones at around this price to play the slot then draft a #2 in the first 2 rounds.

Tate is probably gonna be their big splash. I would rather the big splash was on the defensive side of the ball.

Swami, i think it depends on who they like in the draft. Seems to me they don't see any sure things at WR and trust the defensive prospects a bit more.

I think it's safe to say they would have taken a WR in the first three rounds anyway if they had signed Jacoby Jones.

We lost Burelson and Broyles. We're down two receivers right there.

Swami, i think it depends on who they like in the draft. Seems to me they don't see any sure things at WR and trust the defensive prospects a bit more.

It would me the lions MO to draft a TE and WR in 2 of the top 3 rounds. At this point with them I would be more surprised if they didn`t do that.

we found a good TE last year in an UDFA. I don't think there are any really top quality guys in this draft. I'd bet the farm that the earliest we look at TE is round 3 or 4. And even then, I don't think we'll go that route. There are too many other positions in the draft that are much deeper than TE.

Then again, i don't really know what THEY think of the TEs. I just see a bunch of future backups in the first few rounds and some sleepers after that.

And Tate was the best WR on that team. The most reliable. Lined up all over the field. Made some huge plays and save Russel Wilson's ass more than a few times. We don't need a #2 WR unless they find a guy they really really love. Jeremy Gallon would be a great pick up in the mid rounds. No reason to waste a first or second day pick on WR.

Here is my point. I see the Tate signing and still believe the lions will take a WR in the top 3 rounds of the draft.

I would rather pay Jones at around this price to play the slot then draft a #2 in the first 2 rounds.

Tate is probably gonna be their big splash. I would rather the big splash was on the defensive side of the ball.

this is a fair point. And for the most part I can agree....if youre going to spend 6 mil a year I probably would have rather it be on the defensive side of the ball as well. Especially since most people STILL see WR as a major need even after the Tate signing. I don't agree that I would have had Jones instead of Tate by any means. But ill agree with swami that if this is our big fa splash then im underwhelmed with how many needs this team has.

we found a good TE last year in an UDFA. I don't think there are any really top quality guys in this draft. I'd bet the farm that the earliest we look at TE is round 3 or 4. And even then, I don't think we'll go that route. There are too many other positions in the draft that are much deeper than TE.

Then again, i don't really know what THEY think of the TEs. I just see a bunch of future backups in the first few rounds and some sleepers after that.

And Tate was the best WR on that team. The most reliable. Lined up all over the field. Made some huge plays and save Russel Wilson's ass more than a few times. We don't need a #2 WR unless they find a guy they really really love. Jeremy Gallon would be a great pick up in the mid rounds. No reason to waste a first or second day pick on WR.

I think ebron and ASJ are impact guys that are big enough to play multiple roles in an offense. Amaro is borderline...

I think ebron and ASJ are impact guys that are big enough to play multiple roles in an offense. Amaro is borderline...

I think Fauria is better than both of them in year one. With Fauria's size and hands, I think he has as much potential as anyone in this draft. If I'm the GM, I'm running out there with Fauria as my main pass catching TE and bringing in UDFAs and some veteran free agents as backups.

I think Fauria is better than both of them in year one. With Fauria's size and hands, I think he has as much potential as anyone in this draft. If I'm the GM, I'm running out there with Fauria as my main pass catching TE and bringing in UDFAs and some veteran free agents as backups.

Problem with Fauria is you almost have to line him up in the slot everytime, then at that point he really isn`t even a TE anymore. Anytime he is in tight he just gets blown up

Tate was a nice signing. It gives this team a legit pass catching option at Wr besides CJ. He is a good dependable number 2. I would still like to see this team get someone on the outside with a little more size because I think while Tate can play any wr position he may be best suited out of the slot or in motion. But with the other weapons this offense has I think guys like Ross and Ogletree can be good enough to get open a few times a game. The front office did a good job here because they made going BPA or trading back completely in play. Now they dont have to worry about moving up to grab watkins or Evans. They can stay and grab a corner or safety. Can't fault mayhew for spending the cash and bringing in a contributor that changes the offense and limits the choices at 10. If the corners and safeties in FA weren't completely over priced they may have moved in that direction but they all went for far to much and most aren't worth it.

With the lack of activity on the TE front, Pettigrew might not make as much as he thought he would.

With the lack of activity on the TE front, Pettigrew might not make as much as he thought he would.

It would be nice to get him back. He really ended up getting better as the season progressed. I think 4 years at 12.5 guaranteed would be ideal for what he brings as a TE because he isn't Graham or Gronk. He isn't a huge TD guy or a 100 catch guy but 60 catches and 5 tds would be fine.

Back