Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Joey Bosa Situation

tbone413

I wasn't aware of the details behind this holdout, but one guy on Reddit made a pretty good post explaining the situation, and I must say it makes the Chargers look really, really bad.

The post is below for anyone interested:
-------------------------------------------

What's the deal with Joey Bosa and the Chargers?

Bosa and the Chargers are currently involved in a dispute about the terms of their contract.

Aren't rookie deals preset in this CBA? What's the hold up?

Total money is set but there are still things to discuss, such as when bonus money is paid out and something called offset language, among other things. The big disagreement between Bosa and the Chargers is about the bonus payout and the offset language.

What is offset language?

Contracts for the top half of the first round are fully guaranteed. Offset language comes into play in the event a player doesn't finish out his contract.

Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, that Bosa signs a 4 year, $16M contract, at $4M a year. As the #3 pick in the draft, this deal would be fully guaranteed. Now let's say for whatever reason, the Chargers cut Bosa after year 3. They'd still owe him $4M.

Upon release, if Bosa signs a new deal with the Raiders for 1 year, $3M, then he would collect $7M that year. He'd get the $4M he's owed from the Chargers plus the $3M from the Raiders.

But with offset language in the contract, the Chargers wouldn't be responsible for the whole $4M. They would only be responsible for paying the difference between what they owe and what he earns with his new deal. So if he signs that $3M deal, the Chargers would only have to pay $1M ($4M they owe minus the $3M new deal). In this case, Bosa would only collect $4M that year ($3M from the Raiders plus the $1M from the Chargers). If he signed a $4M deal, the Chargers wouldn't owe him anything.

Teams want offset language, players don't.

What's the deal with the bonus money?

Bosa wants all his signing bonus money up front, the Chargers want to defer some of it to future years. Again, the contract is fully guaranteed so they aren't trying to avoid paying him, they're just trying to avoid paying him this year.

What's the precedent for this situation?

According to PFT:

The fact remains that, since 2012, the third overall pick has had either no offset or no deferral.
Basically, Bosa wants what everyone else in his position has received since the new CBA was put in place. He either wants his bonus money up front OR he wants no offset language. He's not asking for both, he just wants one or the other. Meanwhile the Chargers want to defer his bonus AND they want him to have offset language. They don't want to give in on either issue.

What can Bosa do? What can the Chargers do?

Easiest things: Bosa can budge and give in to the Chargers, accepting a deal with offset language and deferred bonus money. OR The Chargers can budge and give in to Bosa, giving him no offsets and/or all his bonus money up front.

Assuming neither side wants to budge any time soon, here's what the timeline looks like:

They have until Tuesday after Week 10 to come to an agreement on a contract which would allow Bosa to play this year. Following that Tuesday, if there is still no contract in place, they have until the first day of the 2017 draft to come to an agreement which would allow Bosa to play for them starting in 2017. If the first day of the draft comes and he has not signed a new contract, he is entered into that draft and eligible to be drafted by any team except the Chargers.

Relevant passage from the CBA that mentions the above:

If a Drafted Rookie has not signed a Player Contract during the period from the date of such Draft to the thirtieth day prior to the first game of the regular season: (i) the Club that drafted the player may not thereafter trade to another Club either its exclusive negotiating rights to such player or any Player Contract that it signs with such player for the player?s initial League Year; and (ii) the Club that drafted the player is the only Club with which the player may sign a Player Contract until the day of the Draft in the subsequent League Year, at which time such player is eligible to be drafted in the subsequent League Year?s Draft by any Club except the Club that drafted him in the initial Draft. (After the Tuesday following the tenth week of the regular season, the player and the Club may sign a Player Contract only for future League Year(s)).

Can Bosa go back to college? Or play in Canada or Arena Football?

He can't play any college ball. He can go play in Canada or some other pro league, but if he does that the Chargers would own his exclusive NFL rights for 3 years (in this case he wouldn't enter the 2017 draft, or any other future draft), and then would have first refusal rights after that. So if he plays in Canada for 1 to 3 years and comes back, he can only sign with the Chargers, unless they waive their rights to him. If he comes back in 4 years then he can negotiate with any team, however the Chargers get a chance to match the deal with a right of first refusal (similar to being a restricted free agent).

Relevant CBA passage:

(a) Notwithstanding Section 4(b) above, if a player is drafted by a Club and, during the period between the Draft and the next annual Draft, signs a contract with, plays for, or is employed by a professional football team not in the NFL during all or any part of the 12-month period following the initial Draft, then the drafting Club (or any assignee Club) shall retain the exclusive NFL rights to negotiate for and sign a contract with the player until the day of the Draft three League Years after the initial Draft, and shall thereafter have a Right of First Refusal as described herein, and the player may receive offers from any Club at any time thereafter. The player shall notify the NFLPA and the NFL of his desire to sign a contract with an NFL Club and of the date on which the player will be free of his other contractual obligations of employment, if any. Within thirty days of receipt of such notice by the NFL or the date of the availability of such player, whichever is later, the NFL Club that drafted the player must tender a Player Contract as set forth in Section 3 above to the player in order to retain its rights to that player

If that's all true, I can see why Manning didn't want to go there. What a shit show.

No kidding. If they don't sign him until week 7 does he forfeit those paychecks?

The Chargers are a joke!

The Manning family, starting with Archie has had a thing with SD forever. If we had the cash I'd trade for him now..

I didn't like the Bosa pick from the beginning but I think both sides are at fault here. Chargers are being cheap but Bosa is being an asshole. I would give him the signing bonus up front but I would not remove the offset language portion.

I didn't like the Bosa pick from the beginning but I think both sides are at fault here. Chargers are being cheap but Bosa is being an asshole. I would give him the signing bonus up front but I would not remove the offset language portion.

how is he being an asshole by wanting the same deal that every other #3 overall pick has received?

how is he being an asshole by wanting the same deal that every other #3 overall pick has received?

As much as I hate bosa and the buckeyes, I have to agree with you.

Could you imagine going to work for a major corporation, moving far from home, and then being told that your salary isn't as good as everyone else in your exact same position?

It's not like he's making extra demands that are unreasonable.

I just dont understand the Chargers logic here...I mean they clearly like the guy, they drafted him #3 overall.

its not like he is asking for more money...its all guaranteed - Are they willing to completely ruin any relationship they might have with him because they don't want to run the risk of paying him the full $4m in the extremely slim chance he gets cut prior to his rookie contract ending?

If I was Bosa id seriously consider sitting out this year and re-entering the draft in 2017. Its risky for sure, but if the Chargers are already dicking him around after drafting him 3rd overall, then how the hell can he think they wont pull that same shit when it comes time to get a new contract.

Last edited:

But they're not offering that. That don't want to give the bonus up front and they don't want to remove offset language. Bosa just wants the bonus or offset removed. Just one. Be fair.

But they're not offering that. That don't want to give the bonus up front and they don't want to remove offset language. Bosa just wants the bonus or offset removed. Just one. Be fair.

I know they're not offering that, that's why I said if I were Telesco I would definitely give him the signing bonus.

A few other top picks this year did not receive both the signing bonus up front and have the language removed, why should an unproven rookie get both? And with family members publicly stating they wish he hadn't got drafted there, fine then trade his ass to Cleveland and see how he enjoys a worthless career in a Browns uniform.

This is why nobody wants to play in SD. They're cheap assholes...

uJxT1kT.gif

I hate Ohio State, but Bosa should get every nickle. His life will be shortened from his career. Chargers have the money, just being stingy.

I guess the Chargers flew to Fl and made their best and final offer. He declined and they pulled it. I guess we will see what happens

Back