Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

John Beilein might be gone

If all he did is interview with the Pistons, that's all he did

I call bullshit. I'm betting he was consulted and that is it. There is no way Beilein does that to a kid he just got to commit. That Jalen kid decommits today if any of this is true.

I call bullshit. I'm betting he was consulted and that is it. There is no way Beilein does that to a kid he just got to commit. That Jalen kid decommits today if any of this is true.

well, he has changed jobs 8 times. I'm sure each time he left some kids that he recruited.

On the other hand, he could be testing the waters or using it as a ploy for a big contract from UM

From an ESPN article

"Beilein, who has been Michigan's coach since 2007, earlier this month said he and the Wolverines were actively in talks about a contract extension that would keep him with the school beyond the 2020-21 season"

Yep, probably getting a raise for himself and definitely looking to gets his assistants a raise.

One of his strengths and draws is his working with young men as they mature

I dont think he would like nba from that perspective

plus, NBA interest could improve his profile to recruits

I could speculate here, but I think Beilein is better than I am at strategy to a degree where there's really no point in me trying to figure this out.

Based on that article it seems like Casey is the guy they want the most. But no harm in Beilein talking to them and using that to his advantage.

Based on that article it seems like Casey is the guy they want the most. But no harm in Beilein talking to them and using that to his advantage.

depending on how it's handled, sure.

I feel like JB would've cleared it with his boss first, or at least given him a head's up.

not sure how Warde Manuel would take it. I don't really know too much about him, although that's mostly because he's done a competent job so far.

Ironically, he's pulling out of big home-and-home matchups, but as AD of UConn held us to ours and refused to take cash to let us out of it.

He is using it for leverage in the contract discussing and trying to get his Assistant coaches more money also. I heard on the radio Michigan basketball Assitants are amoug the lowest paid in the conference. I heard it in passing so I am unsure if it is true .

If Beilein goes, i would guess Yaklich would get the promotion?

As much as I love Beilein, I think if he left, we'd still be in good hands. He seems more than capable and may even bring something extra to get us over the hump. Not saying Beilein can't do that, but many times a program changes coaches (as long as it's the right situation) the team grows and becomes something greater. This is me just trying to be positive. lol

Why would he leave a mansion for a house that is currently burning to the ground?

The Pistons are garbage and they aren't in position to be any good before JB turns 70. They don't have a first round pick this year, they have terrible contracts they can't unload in Griffin, Drummond, Reggie Jackson, and Jon Leuer. Who is there to build around? Luke Kennard?

they're probably not that hopeless. I think they could be a decent playoff team with competent coaching... standards are pretty low in the NBA right now

still, it's surprising to me he'd be willing to walk away. if he leaves, makes me wonder if the negotiations with Warde Manuel are really going that bad.

that would really suck...

they're probably not that hopeless. I think they could be a decent playoff team with competent coaching... standards are pretty low in the NBA right now

still, it's surprising to me he'd be willing to walk away. if he leaves, makes me wonder if the negotiations with Warde Manuel are really going that bad.

that would really suck...

If by decent you mean they could get the 8th seed and lose in the 1st round, then maybe.

JB is staying!

John Beilein

Verified account

@JohnBeilein
Following Following @JohnBeilein
More
I love the University of Michigan and I am excited about coaching our Men’s Basketball Team next season and in the years to come ! Let’s go hang some more banners at “THE GREATEST UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD “
#GoBlue

12:12 PM - 6 Jun 2018

Last edited:
Back