Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kelly taking heat for his sideline eruptions

Michchamp

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col....,1824323.st ory He includes one of those BS George W. Bush non-apology apologies: <blockquote>"... you know, what I have to recognize is that I'm on TV all the time," Kelly said. "I've got to do a better job of understanding when that camera is on me, and it seems like that camera is on me more than I'm used to. I'll have to do a better job of controlling my emotions."</blockquote> (if you have seen Vic's sig pic, you know what they're talking about.)

I'm not saying there's never any reason for a coach to yell at his players during a game, but if there is one sure-fire way to ruin a kid's confidence and make him play poorly, it's by freaking out, throwing tantrums, screaming at him for making mistakes, and looking like a jackass on national television. We saw this same thing time and time again with RichRod.

one of the more reassuring things I saw in our game last week, was that Hoke, Mattison, Borges showed no emotion like that. Cool as cucumbers over there... which is what the players see, and what they react to. I think you can attribute some of our improvement over the course of the game to the fact that you didn't see Hoke in players' ears when they came off the field. They definitely looked jittery on the opening couple possessions, but the way things improved must've been a revelation to those that were around last year.

I heard the sound clip from that interview today on the radio. Kelly got REALLY snappy with a reporter when asked about his "behavior" on the side line Saturday.

Before Kelly gave that statement he said something along the lines of, "What'd I hit somebody?" "Did somebody see me grab a face mask or hit somebody?"

I think the way he was yelling at his players Saturday made him seem desperate.

First off, the maniacal ass can take his issues up with the Director in the truck parked outside noter dame stadium, calling all the camera shots and the superflous and gratuitous shots of the coach --- they certainly over-exposed Weis when he was there....

Second, you can read his lips perfectly fine and there's a big difference between intensity boiling over and unadulterated profanity being screamed in the face of college kids playing football.

I disliked Kelly from the moment he took the job, the way he screwed UC and the way he spoke at the press conference. I hate him more with each article, interview or story done on him.

I hate noter dame and firmly believe that noter dame sucks ....but he makes me hate them even more. Can't say I ever felt such emotion towards Willingham or Davie.

I didn't realize you were a UC appologist there, Vic. Thanks for the support.

And yes, he did screw them. Bailing on a 12-0 team, regardless of what conference they're in, just days after they cemented your reputation for the new gig, is pretty shitty. Bet he would've stayed if Texas misses that field goal...

Oh, he handled that situation like a complete and total chump.

Not telling the team after initially lying to the team about the ND job --- never understood why ColumbusBengal defended him just because he'd coached at UC, which he roots for.

I can understand not wanting to tell them until after their last game, especially when there was a chance that they would play for a national championship if they won. But the way he told the team was embarrassing. For those that don't know or have forgotten, he called his team into a private room at their end of the year banquet and told them there. A night they were supposed to be celebrating the best season in school history was turned into another night about Brian Kelly.

I never really held ColumbusBungle's judgment in high esteem (and I think given the way he ended up feeling "right at home" on the buckeye board seemed to confirm my judgment) so I was not surprised CB liked BK.

since he was a Cincy fan, I could understand the initial adulation, but you'd think after the way he screwed the school he'd reconsider...

Then again, some people are just kinda shitty, and I think they like that in other people. Like, disloyalty doesn't bother them at all because they don't really consider it a valuable trait to begin with.

MichChamp02 said:
I never really held ColumbusBungle's judgment in high esteem (and I think given the way he ended up feeling "right at home" on the buckeye board seemed to confirm my judgment) so I was not surprised CB liked BK.

since he was a Cincy fan, I could understand the initial adulation, but you'd think after the way he screwed the school he'd reconsider...

Then again, some people are just kinda shitty, and I think they like that in other people. Like, disloyalty doesn't bother them at all because they don't really consider it a valuable trait to begin with.

Exactly. The same way ohio fans are with Tressel.

even rich rod joked about turning your face away if you are going to f bomb (not quite the way he expressed it)

CBus is a unique cat. He's able to be objective about a lot of things that most fans aren't.

In the end, Cincy owes a lot to BK. He led the best team in our school's history, turned our program into a relevant one (relatively speaking) and put us on the map. He was also a huge factor in the facility upgrades that UC has received over the past few years, and the importance of that can't be understated. We needed the facility and stadium upgrades, but it took a spark from a guy like BK to get the ball rolling on them.

At the same time, 99% of us can't forgive the way he left. Not the fact that he jumped before the bowl game. We did that to CMU twice in a 3 year span. But the fact that he bailed on the fans, program and players who loved him (despite the fact that he was an arrogant prick) when they had a chance to beat Florida to finish off their perfect season, that's just unforgivable.

I understand the desire to leave, and that December is usually when it happens and that's probably better for all parties. That said, he owed it to the players that earned him that job to see that season through. I'm not saying it would've made a difference, I doubt it would have actually, but he owed it to those kids to finish what they all started together.

CBus just likes to focus on the good he did for the program, most people can't see past the end, and understandably so.

bigvic said:
First off, the maniacal ass can take his issues up with the Director in the truck parked outside noter dame stadium, calling all the camera shots and the superflous and gratuitous shots of the coach --- they certainly over-exposed Weis when he was there....

Second, you can read his lips perfectly fine and there's a big difference between intensity boiling over and unadulterated profanity being screamed in the face of college kids playing football.

I disliked Kelly from the moment he took the job, the way he screwed UC and the way he spoke at the press conference. I hate him more with each article, interview or story done on him.

I hate noter dame and firmly believe that noter dame sucks ....but he makes me hate them even more. Can't say I ever felt such emotion towards Willingham or Davie.

nice post. I agree 100%

I'm curious to see whether he takes a step back from the edge on Saturday, or whether ND is going to be his undoing.

all in all, those pics are hilarious: "Boys and girls, this is how NOT to handle a stressful situation."

BK is a tool and a bad leader. What respectable coach of " Gods Team " drops 3 f bombs on national tv?

bphillips4gg said:
CBus is a unique cat. He's able to be objective about a lot of things that most fans aren't.

In the end, Cincy owes a lot to BK. He led the best team in our school's history, turned our program into a relevant one (relatively speaking) and put us on the map. He was also a huge factor in the facility upgrades that UC has received over the past few years, and the importance of that can't be understated. We needed the facility and stadium upgrades, but it took a spark from a guy like BK to get the ball rolling on them.

At the same time, 99% of us can't forgive the way he left. Not the fact that he jumped before the bowl game. We did that to CMU twice in a 3 year span. But the fact that he bailed on the fans, program and players who loved him (despite the fact that he was an arrogant prick) when they had a chance to beat Florida to finish off their perfect season, that's just unforgivable.

I understand the desire to leave, and that December is usually when it happens and that's probably better for all parties. That said, he owed it to the players that earned him that job to see that season through. I'm not saying it would've made a difference, I doubt it would have actually, but he owed it to those kids to finish what they all started together.

CBus just likes to focus on the good he did for the program, most people can't see past the end, and understandably so.

Well, UC wasn't in bad shape when Dantonio left. I don't really follow the program, so i defer to your judgment, but I think you give BK too much credit.

PS - never found CB to be the most objective poster either...

true, he would not be considered a "Michigan homer" but that seemed due to the fact that he held some sort of grudge against Michigan, not because of his objectivity. on the flip side, he had a hard time giving credit when credit was due.

michlady77 said:
even rich rod joked about turning your face away if you are going to f bomb (not quite the way he expressed it)

My buddy who played college ball said that's why so many coaches cover their mouth with their play sheet!

What always stuck in my head was the 1997 UM - Colorado game where Rick Neuheisel kept berating his QB after the UM defense got through terrorizing him series after series. The kid was clearly rattled and the coaches antics were definitely making it worse.

With that said, I hope he gets so angry he is spitting blood all over his players. Lol

Lou Holtz, all 130 lbs of him, would grab OL face masks all the time and the cameras would catch it. He was a force back in the day. Methinks If ND had won we would not be talking about this today

Also, I knew of a guy who chose to play at MSU because he though UM coaches swore too much. For real, this was a part of his decision and he was highly recruited. I roomed with a HS buddy of his

Odd because Perles swore like a truck driver from what I hear

Guy never really got off the bench at state if I remember correctly

erg57 said:
Lou Holtz, all 130 lbs of him, would grab OL face masks all the time and the cameras would catch it. He was a force back in the day. Methinks If ND had won we would not be talking about this today

probably true but his ...'demeanor' has been questioned before

bigvic said:
erg57 said:

probably true but his ...'demeanor' has been questioned before

He called Mark May an idiot the other day. Holtz has nuts the size of grapefruit

Back