Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lack of faith?

b311j

I am curious.

I have seen a number of people posting on the interwebs about their particular church closing temporarily during the Coronavirus scare. But I do have to ask why. IF you have full faith that a god exists, and IF you have faith that god will protect you (especially in his house of worship), then WHY WOULDN'T you go to church? I do not see a way to defend this with the usual "god gave man free will" defense, so I am curious if any of the people of faith on the board would chime in.

I've never believed that it works like that. I feel like we've had versions of the 'why do bad things happen to good people' discussion on this board before. The religious elements of my faith are about how to react to the bad stuff that happens. It's not some magic way to not have bad things happen. I don't deny that there are people like that, but I can't speak for them.

Last edited:
While I am not a person of faith, I will say I was happy to hear the archdioceses of Detroit cancelled masses for the time being. I know it wasn't an easy decision.

While faith is important, so is wisdom.

I am curious.

I have seen a number of people posting on the interwebs about their particular church closing temporarily during the Coronavirus scare. But I do have to ask why. IF you have full faith that a god exists, and IF you have faith that god will protect you (especially in his house of worship), then WHY WOULDN'T you go to church? I do not see a way to defend this with the usual "god gave man free will" defense, so I am curious if any of the people of faith on the board would chime in.

Because no matter how hard you try to make the case that religious people believe things they don’t believe, that doesn’t change the facts or what people of faith actually believe. It may surprise you to hear religious people don’t all believe the same things. Science and religious faith aren’t incompatible and only morons think they are. Many scientists, doctors, engineers, mathematicians are people of faith. Questions like this say more about the intelligence of the people asking them than they do of the people they’re trying (and failing miserably) to humiliate.

Also, the people who do believe god will protect them from harm, like the snake handlers in Appalachia probably are going to their churches during this time.

Last edited:
... Science and religious faith aren?t incompatible and only morons think they are. ...

They are... by definition incompatible:

Science: knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method.

Religious Faith: firm belief in something for which there is no proof.

I am curious.

the-bullets-are-real-your-god-is-not.jpg

Science: knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method.

I didn’t say they were the same or that religion was science because they are not, I said they weren’t incompatible. These definitions don’t disprove that. Good try though.

Last edited:

so you are saying someone can't believe in two things? Something that is proven and something that has not been proven?

I'm sure there are scientists that believe that there has been, or currently is, life on other planets, but that hasn't been proven or discounted yet. Just like there are scientists that go to church.

Because no matter how hard you try to make the case that religious people believe things they don?t believe, that doesn?t change the facts or what people of faith actually believe. It may surprise you to hear religious people don?t all believe the same things. Science and religious faith aren?t incompatible and only morons think they are. Many scientists, doctors, engineers, mathematicians are people of faith. Questions like this say more about the intelligence of the people asking them than they do of the people they?re trying (and failing miserably) to humiliate.

Also, the people who do believe god will protect them from harm, like the snake handlers in Appalachia probably are going to their churches during this time.

Well, even though I don?t practice religion, I can field this.

In religion, it isn?t necessarily God?s job to protect people from bad shit. That includes in the house of worship; numerous horrific events that have occurred in such places support this.

God ain?t gonna magically stop the spread of the virus in churches or synagogues or mosques of Buddhist temples.

Anyway, I didn?t practice any religion before this pandemic, and I still don?t.

The answer is yes - or at least a qualified yes, and I can prove it using scientific methodology.

When as a youth I was conscripted to be a churchgoer, there a number of science teachers and professors and doctors and other people in science related professions in attendance.

Pew Research.

International study

Here are a couple of studies that support that, while religious belief among people in sciences is less than it is among people not in sciences, there still are many whom are religious.

Now, I can’t read these peoples hearts and minds, but the fact that they behave as if they believe two things supports the assertion that, yes, a person or people can believe two things.

Last edited:
Karl Malden did a better version of that on The West Wing.

Sorry I can't be bothered so search up a youtube link though.

The late great Karl Malden could probably have done a better version of just about everything than anybody else.

The standing line in my sig was recited by Karl Malden.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJW_k0WGb_A

It appears that there is no historic record that the quote is actually attributable to Abraham Lincoln.

Last edited:
Only Lack of faith I have comes from a documented Lying President. So tell me a guy who has lied over 15,000+ times what should I believe coming out of his Orange pie hole ?

Only Lack of faith I have comes from a documented Lying President. So tell me a guy who has lied over 15,000+ times what should I believe coming out of his Orange pie hole ?

You should have had more faith in your grammar school teachers who tried to teach you how to use things like grammar, punctuation and sentence structure to clearly communicate a thought.

Back