Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Let's Go, Brandon!

Michchamp

Hell yeah.

This is like the only good thing that has happened in this country in years.

I hope he cleans up and disposes of the mess. But saying that Chicago is the "best city in the world" is not a compliment, since all cities eventually crumble. Maybe he means it's the best at crumbling.

That election was about lose/lose more for Chicago. Looks like Chicago chose lose more.

I guess this is what Chicago wanted. :lmao:

https://nypost.com/2023/04/17/chicagos-mayor-elect-warns-against-demonizing-rowdy-teens/

Chicago Mayor-elect Brandon Johnson responded to this weekend?s violent ?teen takeover? of the Windy City?s downtown area by urging the public not to ?demonize? the hordes of rampaging young people who set cars on fire, clashed with cops and damaged private property.

Johnson, a progressive Democrat and former teachers union organizer who was elected mayor earlier this month, released a statement Sunday reacting to the disorder in his city that resulted in a shooting and more than a dozen arrests.

?In no way do I condone the destructive activity we saw in the Loop and lakefront this weekend. It is unacceptable and has no place in our city,? Johnson stated. ?However, it is not constructive to demonize youth who have otherwise been starved of opportunities in their own communities.?

He continued: ?Our city must work together to create spaces for youth to gather safely and responsibly, under adult guidance and supervision, to ensure that every part of our city remains welcome for both residents and visitors.?

I guess this is what Chicago wanted. :lmao:

https://nypost.com/2023/04/17/chicagos-mayor-elect-warns-against-demonizing-rowdy-teens/

Chicago Mayor-elect Brandon Johnson responded to this weekend?s violent ?teen takeover? of the Windy City?s downtown area by urging the public not to ?demonize? the hordes of rampaging young people who set cars on fire, clashed with cops and damaged private property.

Johnson, a progressive Democrat and former teachers union organizer who was elected mayor earlier this month, released a statement Sunday reacting to the disorder in his city that resulted in a shooting and more than a dozen arrests.

?In no way do I condone the destructive activity we saw in the Loop and lakefront this weekend. It is unacceptable and has no place in our city,? Johnson stated. ?However, it is not constructive to demonize youth who have otherwise been starved of opportunities in their own communities.?

He continued: ?Our city must work together to create spaces for youth to gather safely and responsibly, under adult guidance and supervision, to ensure that every part of our city remains welcome for both residents and visitors.?

I'm glad people on twitter are pointing out that Johnson isn't even the mayor yet.

White people who live in suburbs seem to be really struggling with how electing officials works:

You vote during the election. And then, at some later point that varies depending on the office, the person who receives the most votes is actually sworn into office and takes power. In Chicago, that will be on May 15th. Today is April 17, 2023.

Only after being sworn in can an elected official (in theory) be responsible for things that happen in the city, or more accurately, be responsible for the city's formal response & policies related to things that happen in the city.

I don't know why white people who live in the suburbs (that demographic includes me, but not in this specific example, since I understand the concept) struggle with this so much. Black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, and Native American people all understand that there's a gap in time between elections and taking office.

I certainly wasn't trying to imply that it was his fault. I was pointing out that the mayor elect doesn't want to demonize the criminals because they are starved of opportunities.

I'm glad people on twitter are pointing out that Johnson isn't even the mayor yet.

Yet, he comments and makes excuses for rioting.

White people who live in suburbs seem to be really struggling with how electing officials works:

You vote during the election. And then, at some later point that varies depending on the office, the person who receives the most votes is actually sworn into office and takes power. In Chicago, that will be on May 15th. Today is April 17, 2023.

Only after being sworn in can an elected official (in theory) be responsible for things that happen in the city, or more accurately, be responsible for the city's formal response & policies related to things that happen in the city.

I don't know why white people who live in the suburbs (that demographic includes me, but not in this specific example, since I understand the concept) struggle with this so much. Black people, Hispanic people, Asian people, and Native American people all understand that there's a gap in time between elections and taking office.

Not sure of the purpose of this long non-sequitur. To change the conversation?

Yet, he comments and makes excuses for rioting.

Not sure of the purpose of this long non-sequitur. To change the conversation?

He's right though.

Chicago's police budget is astronomical, and yet the cops do very little.. Clearance rates for murders and other violent crimes are abysmal.

They keep hiring more cops and paying them more money and giving them more weapons and high tech baubles... for what?

It's a systemic issue and that money would've been better off being invested in non-police community resources.

If you had any doubts about this in 2010, you shouldn't now. The data supports it and the trends are established

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure these little thugs would much rather be studying or doing crafts at a community center if available. But because the police department is over funded, schools and other productive things aren't available to these little criminals.

Chicago police budget is $1.9B, and they suck at clearing murders and violent crimes.

Public school budget is $9.5B and they suck at teaching. 80% of CPS 11th graders fail to meet proficiency in reading and math.

Both the police and teachers are unionized.

These unionized employees are not doing their jobs.

"systemic" issues do not afford the "opportunity" to vandalize. The two are not at all related. This was an organized disturbance executed for no excusable reason, by youth with brains not fully developed and, clearly, poorly nurtured.

Otherwise, I am free to organize one far more destructive and devastating because of my dissatisfaction with the government's "systemic" abuses that trace back to the Alien and Sedition Act of 1798.

Or, I can peaceably assemble, as is my constitutional right.

Last edited:
There?s not that many black race car drivers ? Bubba Wallace is the only one who comes to mind ? let alone, who have run for public office.

The only other race car drivers that I have heard of running for public office are white.

EDIT: I didn?t know until today that Brandon Brown is black.

Last edited:
These kids just need something to do. The city really needs to step up and support these friendly kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk7bVeYBFwA&ab_channel=TorontoSun

I guess the video wouldn't play because it's too violent. The video shows about 15-20 kids attacking a lady in front of her apartment building.

This is what you get when you pay police too much money. Everyone should have seen this coming back in 2010. The data since then clearly bares this out - the trends are established.

Last edited:

the only white person struggling to understand anything here is you. Everyone else, regardless of skin color seems to understand he is the mayor-elect and while not responsible for this mess (yet) his opinion on it is relevant since as of May 15th, he will be responsible for dealing with these issues. It's perfectly reasonable for anyone of any race regardless of whether they live in the suburbs or urban areas to point out based on his comments, he is likely to be at least as bad and perhaps make things even worse than his predecessor.

Last edited:
He's right though.

Chicago's police budget is astronomical, and yet the cops do very little.. Clearance rates for murders and other violent crimes are abysmal.

They keep hiring more cops and paying them more money and giving them more weapons and high tech baubles... for what?

It's a systemic issue and that money would've been better off being invested in non-police community resources.

If you had any doubts about this in 2010, you shouldn't now. The data supports it and the trends are established

what trends are those? Certainly not the bit out hiring more officers, at least not according to the data on the CPD...

7.8.22_blog_p1.png

The current budget calls for 13,108 sworn officers but they can't hire anyone. Officer morale is at all time lows, the department is struggling to hire new officers as officers leave and/or retire early because they're not supported by the administration or DA and not able to properly perform their jobs. Many cities are lowering standards and now hiring ex-felons because qualified candidates won't work under these conditions or for administrations that vilify and revile them. That's the established trend. Another established trend is the massive increase in single parent homes among all communities but especially among poor, mostly minority communities that goes back a bit further than 2010 (way back to the 1960s and further with the expansion of the welfare state and the feminist movement that combined said you don't need fathers in the home). The idea that this rise in violence is due to over policing is obviously moronic and completely unsupported.

Last edited:
There?s not that many black race car drivers ? Bubba Wallace is the only one who comes to mind ? let alone, who have run for public office.

The only other race car drivers that I have heard of running for public office are white.

EDIT: I didn?t know until today that Brandon Brown is black.

Lewis Hamilton is black but he's probably not eligible to run for office in the US since he's British.

"systemic" issues do not afford the "opportunity" to vandalize. The two are not at all related. This was an organized disturbance executed for no excusable reason, by youth with brains not fully developed and, clearly, poorly nurtured.

Otherwise, I am free to organize one far more destructive and devastating because of my dissatisfaction with the government's "systemic" abuses that trace back to the Alien and Sedition Act of 1798.

Or, I can peaceably assemble, as is my constitutional right.

You would understand what's meant by peaceably assemble, but what would you be doing if you had grown up in the same circumstances as all these kids?

When I lived in Chicago, I read a lot of long form pieces studying the employment prospects of kids in majority black neighborhoods... there's not much to do besides work at a fast food joint and put up with that shit for poverty wagers, or sell drugs.

And policies (from both political parties) have for decades now contributed to impoverishing and disinvesting public programs and services for majority black and hispanic neighborhoods.

ALL that has contributed to this situation; to call a handful of kids animals after all that (as many are doing, or basically doing) displays a shocking lack of empathy that's unfortunately all too common.

It's going to take a generation of re-investing in these communities (the government will have to do it since no one else will) to start to right the ship and fill the void that these kids grew up in. I hope Johnson has the stones to perservere and the political chops to fight off the continuous attacks of the billionaires and corporate power along with their hired goons in the police unions that are already (as you can see from the media coverage) trying to undermine him. They'll do worse if they can't neutralize him politically and sway public opinion to vote him out in 2028.

what trends are those? Certainly not the bit out hiring more officers, at least not according to the data on the CPD...

7.8.22_blog_p1.png

The current budget calls for 13,108 sworn officers but they can't hire anyone. Officer morale is at all time lows, the department is struggling to hire new officers as officers leave and/or retire early because they're not supported by the administration or DA and not able to properly perform their jobs. Many cities are lowering standards and now hiring ex-felons because qualified candidates won't work under these conditions or for administrations that vilify and revile them. That's the established trend. Another established trend is the massive increase in single parent homes among all communities but especially among poor, mostly minority communities that goes back a bit further than 2010 (way back to the 1960s and further with the expansion of the welfare state and the feminist movement that combined said you don't need fathers in the home). The idea that this rise in violence is due to over policing is obviously moronic and completely unsupported.

What is the budget though? that's the issue. THey're dumping money on the police, and for what? It's not money well spent.

Thanks for unintentionally supporting the points I'm making.

What is the budget though? that's the issue. THey're dumping money on the police, and for what? It's not money well spent.

Thanks for unintentionally supporting the points I'm making.

Budget goes up, number of police officers goes down, and crime rate goes up.

Assuming that the numbers that I posted earlier in this thread are correct (relying on google searches)

$1.9B budget for Chicago PD. 11638 sworn officers. $163K per sworn officer

$9.5B budget for Chicago public school system. 21,974 teachers. $432k per teacher

https://chicago.chalkbeat.org/2022/...board-of-education-budget-2023-pedro-martinez

Back