Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Leyland retires....Now voted into Baseball Hall of Fame

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...-detroit-tigers-hat-hall-of-fame/71800046007/
Jim Leyland 'humbled and proud' but uncertain about what hat he'll wear into Hall of Fame.
Detnews

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2023/1...gers-cap-thats-a-bridge-well-cross-later.html
Will Jim Leyland?s Hall plaque have Tigers? cap? ?That?s a bridge we?ll cross later?.
Mlive

More years in Pittsburgh but better stats in Detroit. Miami only 3 seasons so that won't be an option.

taking a second look at his career, he's lucky to get in. He was under .500 until his last 2 years in Detroit pushed him over the top.

.506 winning percentage and one WS title. I guess they are WAY more liberal with their criteria for managers than players (see Lou Whitaker)

taking a second look at his career, he's lucky to get in. He was under .500 until his last 2 years in Detroit pushed him over the top.

.506 winning percentage and one WS title. I guess they are WAY more liberal with their criteria for managers than players (see Lou Whitaker)

18th in wins and managers in the hall with sub .500 record. Wins are not the sole criteria. He also won two manger of the year. 3 WS appearance..

18th in wins and managers in the hall with sub .500 record. Wins are not the sole criteria. He also won two manger of the year. 3 WS appearance..

you are proving my point. Not a very high bar for a manager to get in when compared to a player

Last edited:
Mack was like a manager for like 50 seasons. And Tom, of course a player vs manager is different. Heck they had two umps in the final voting, one being Joe West. He lasted a long time, thus on the list. He did some special things outside of baseball though I'm not voters look at that.

I was ambivalent on Leyland getting in. Now that he was voted in I'm happy for him.
My reasons for not being partial either way was he didn't win a World Series managing our Tigers. My one knock on him was I didn't think he managed a bullpen as well as some other managers did. Yes part him to blame and part DD when all they had was a closer and a set up and tape and rubber bands for the rest of the relievers each year.

I hope that f'n obnoxious ump joe west sits there for many years. He was almost as bad as that ump angel fuck face hernandez who called balls strikes regularly.

Last edited:
I was ambivalent on Leyland getting in. Now that he was voted in I'm happy for him.
My reasons for not being partial either way was he didn't win a World Series managing our Tigers. My one knock on him was I didn't think he managed a bullpen as well as some other managers did. Yes part him to blame and part DD when all they had was a closer and a set up and tape and rubber bands for the rest of the relievers each year.

I agree with this. He seems like a nice enough guy. My opinion has always been that a manager really doesn't impact wins very much. As far as I'm concerned, managers, umpires, owners, executives...none of them should be in the HOF. The HOF should be reserved for players.

Hall of Fame manager Jim Leyland is one of only five skippers to win 700 games with more than one team (Pirates, Tigers). The others:

Sparky Anderson (Reds, Tigers)
Terry Francona (Red Sox, Guardians)
Tony LaRussa (A's, Cardinals)
Bruce Bochy (Padres, Giants)

I would bet that Francona and Bochy will get in soon after they retire.

I agree with this. He seems like a nice enough guy. My opinion has always been that a manager really doesn't impact wins very much. As far as I'm concerned, managers, umpires, owners, executives...none of them should be in the HOF. The HOF should be reserved for players.

Sparky gave 100% credit of the success of the Reds to the players.

Last edited:
Sparky gave 100% credit of the success of the Reds to the players.

The way it works. If you win it's the players, lose its the manager. I don't really care if Leyland got in or not.. but happy for him. There are players that are in that certainly don't deserve it.

Is anyone really upset Leyland got in the hall?

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/12/08/saturday-survey-106/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

Last weekend, former Tiger manager Jim Leyland was elected to the Hall of Fame by the Contemporary Baseball Era Committee (for non-players). That committee was established in 2022 and holds elections every 3 years. This was their first one.

Leyland managed for 22 years w/ 4 different teams. He had a 6-year retirement sandwiched in-between his stints with the Rockies and Tigers. He holds a career .506 win/loss percentage and 1 World Series title with 3 pennants and 3 Manager of the Year Awards.

The big question now is what hat Leyland should wear on his plaque. In general, those elected go in wearing the insignia of the team where they made the biggest impact and/or stayed the longest.

The biggest factors for consideration would be the number of years Leyland spent with each team, his win/loss record for each and World Series titles. On a secondary note, you may consider any honors and yearly team performance.

For all intents and purposes, we can eliminate the Rockies as a potential option.

Now for the hard part. Do the Pirates get the nod because he worked there longer than any other team? Or the Marlins because he won a World Series there? Or the Tigers, the only team in which he had a winning record?

Here are his stats for each of the teams he managed:

PIRATES

? 11 years

? .496 win/loss record (4 out of 11 years above .500)

? no titles

? resigned from his position

MARLINS

? 2 years

? .451 win/loss record (1 out of 2 years above .500)

? World Series title

ROCKIES

? 1 year

? .444 win/loss record (0 years of 1 year above .500)

? no titles

TIGERS

? 8 years

? .540 win/loss record (6 years out of 8 above .500)

? 2 pennants (but no World Series title)

? became special assistant

What hat should Jim Leyland wear into the Hall?

What hat should Jim Leyland wear into the Hall?

1. Pirates

2. Marlins

3. Tigers

4. No hat

VOTE

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...laque-wont-include-a-tigers-logo/72453618007/
Here's why Jim Leyland's Hall of Fame plaque won't include a Tigers logo.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ball-hall-of-fame-plaque-no-logo/72453761007/
Ex-Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland's Hall of Fame plaque will feature no logo.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2024/02/jim-leyland-wont-have-tigers-cap-in-hall-of-fame-plaque.html
Jim Leyland won’t have Tigers cap in Hall of Fame plaque.
Mlive

Back