Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Off Season Thread

Ugh, you had a nice two day run after the loss to Seattle, but you are back to normal.

"They will win it all if they stay healthy."

What a joke.

They didn't stay healthy. Plus read the entire post not just one line.

Word of advice. Anything you say after making an outlandish statement will be invalid.

"Team X will win the entire thing."
Anything after that should support why you think as such, not backtrack.

Every team is f'ing injured. Stop with this narrative.

I still don't really get your angle on this board. Are you trying to just be a counter-balance to the negative people?

How the Lions can improve
Key guys healthier compared to last year (this can happen)
Rookies improve (they were already pretty good)
Some vets just have better years (Levy, Diggs, Whitehead have proven they can play better in past years, plus Levy more time for knee recovery)
They have money to add free agents that make the Lions a better team compared to the improvement of other teams (GB for instance that has a ton of impending FAs and don't really sign FAs)
Not lose a bunch in free agency (Reiff and Warford are the only key re-signs)
They have draft picks to make the Lions a better team
Lions have a good talent base, fill a few holes and it can be a really good team
Learn from mistakes (Quinn, Caldwell, Cooter and Austin) can learn
Play 10 teams below .500 from this year and at Tampa Bay. 3 of 5 tough playoff team games at home (compared to 4 of 5 away in 2016)

Word of advice. Anything you say after making an outlandish statement will be invalid.

"Team X will win the entire thing."
Anything after that should support why you think as such, not backtrack.

Every team is f'ing injured. Stop with this narrative.

I still don't really get your angle on this board. Are you trying to just be a counter-balance to the negative people?

Injuries are not always even!!! And it can change on a week to week basis
Give Thomas, Prosise and McDaniels back to Seattle. Give Swanson, Reiff, Abdullah, Riddick, Diggs back to Detroit and Stafford doesn't have a busted finger. Could have been a completely different game. But we'll never know.

Think outside the box and stop assuming all injuries are even. You have to look at the player and importance to the team, look at the depth, look if the backup is hurt, look if the injuries are concentrated in one area (Oline, secondary etc), look at the strength of other team (ex healthy Seattle DEs vs 3rd string right tackle)

The Lions injuries next year could be Whitehead, Glasgow, Lawson and Riddick not Ansah(with poor other DEs on roster), Levy (and the depth), Slay(at worst time), Reiff (at worst time), Stafford (at worst time), Abdullah, Riddick, Ebron (3 games). We'll see what injuries we have to deal with. We'll see what other teams have to deal with too. Maybe Rodgers breaks his throwing hand right before a big Lions/Packers tilt.

Last edited:
Nope, you are totally right. Lions would have won if they were healthy.

Done arguing with you. I don't know why I let you draw me back in, but it's not worth the rest of my afternoon.

Nope, you are totally right. Lions would have won if they were healthy.

Done arguing with you. I don't know why I let you draw me back in, but it's not worth the rest of my afternoon.

That wasn't really the point of that long post. But that is the one you focused on. They had a great shot, injuries didn't help. We'll see which injury scenario we get next year. Maybe more beneficial. Not likely less beneficial considering the big time players hurt this year. But Stafford missing 2 or more games is a scenario that would be worse.

So Genius , what should we do then ? What's your brilliant solution ?

Great, it seems we've added a fucktard to the board as of late that adds nothing to absolutely every conversation he joins.

But to answer your question. If your dumb ass could read I'm the author of the original post. There's some ideas in there we can do to help stafford out. Or are you to fucking stupid to comprehend?

Friendly advice, don't make up what I said or didn't get right or wrong without checking the facts.

Lions will win it all if, they stay healthy. They did not for a lot of season on defense and at the end on offense. They made the right roster moves though and had depth (not DE or backup QB though). The depth got hurt at RB (Riddick) and RT (Robinson) and LB (Bostic, Bynes, Williams during the season). Slay and Ansah injuries and Staffords finger were pretty huge injuries plus Abdullah and Riddick combined. And don't get me started on the refs again. That is beyond anyones' control. The Lions should have stayed healthier, we deserve them to stay healthy and the be the heathiest team in the league for the next 10 years.

They had the capability to play better run defense and not drop 5 crucial balls. But on that particular day they didn't and on that day Seattle made 5 great catches too (3 one handed, Baldwin toe tap deep and Baldwin butt catch). If you replay the game again, the Lions might have made those routine catches (it doesn't mean our weapons suck). We'll never know now.

I said they would make the playoffs. They did. Many said they wouldn't. Defense was 13th in PPG. Had flaws but bend but don't break worked for playoffs when the offense struggled at points (20th) due to run game issues, some protection with a young line, Stafford finger injury at worst time, other key injuries and only six drives starting in opponent territory all year (tough sledding for offense).

Quinn will spend wisely. Please show me why you don't think he will spend wisely. It's basically a fact he will based on his one year history.

The Lions have the capability to spend to add talent. Some teams don't have that capability. Many do but some don't. Some teams don't have a good GM and won't spend wisely. Quinn should. And Lions have 8 draft picks to improve too. Getting key guys back healthy is big too. Every year the injury situation is different. We'll see what we have in store next year. But Quinn has a whole offseason, money and draft picks to even better deal with injuries (and they did a pretty good job in 2016, but some of the depth got hurt too). And again young guys should develop even more and they played. Decker, Robinson, Glasgow, Killebrew. Better play from them helps the team. Certain guys like Whitehead and Levy and Diggs could have much better seasons in 2017.

There are many reasons why the Lions will be "more improved" than other teams in 2017

So a one year history is enough for you to guarantee that Quinn will spend wisely? That's really all you backed up your certainty with?

Hey I like Quinn so far, and I'm as optimistic as anybody about the job he can do. But again saying stuff like this is just nonsense. I can tell you're a smart guy and would like to be able to talk with some sense of reason with you. When you do stuff like this you make it impossible, and I still think you do it on purpose.

Joe Dumars "spent wisely" his first few years when he built the Pistons into a legit championship contender. Then he spent money on Ben Gordon and Charlie Villaneuva and they stunk. Ken Holland is the same story with the Red Wings.

We have no idea what Quinn will do with this team, so for you to say "he will spend wisely" as if there's no room for doubt is just silly. Again just try to be open minded here.

We could have everyone healthy, play 12 men on each side of the ball and we wouldn't be any better.

Quinn has more than one year history. Patriot way

And even if he does overspend on say a guy like charles johnson. Johnson underperforming and being average even improves the line and is much better than taylor or zettel. Only negative would be injury to said free agent but that wouldnt be quinns fault. Some things you cant control

Last edited:
Quinn has more than one year history. Patriot way

And even if he does overspend on say a guy like charles johnson. Johnson underperforming and being average even improves the line and is much better than taylor or zettel. Only negative would be injury to said free agent but that wouldnt be quinns fault. Some things you cant control
No, he doesn't have more than one year of history as a GM. He's never been a GM before being hired last year, he's never made decisions even close to this level before, so for you to say that is another asinine statement from your fantasy world.

This whole Patriot way thing needs to stop as well. He's trying to bring the culture that he knows from the Pats, but we don't know if his signing philosophy will be exactly the same, or if he starts doing his own thing based on the situation.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...ckle-needs-a-boost-dontari-poe-malik-mcdowell
2017 Detroit Lions offseason needs: Defensive tackle needs a boost.
With no pressure, no push, and no disruption, the Detroit Lions defensive tackle group needs a big boost this offseason.
PrideOfDetroit

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...ason-pierre-paul-charles-harris-dawuane-smoot
2017 Detroit Lions offseason needs: Defensive end is a high priority.
The offseason begins now and the Detroit Lions need help at almost every position on defense, starting with defensive end. from January 9th.
PrideOfDetroit

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...ker-should-target-free-agency-donta-hightower
2017 Detroit Lions offseason needs: Free agency offers options at linebackers.
The most talked about position of need this season, the Detroit Lions certainly need a linebacker. With cost and strength of the draft, they should target free agency.
PrideOfDetroit

Yeah, how did Scott Pioli do with the Chiefs after his rise through the Pats organization? They were basically sunk until after he was canned.

Never judge a GM on his first draft. It has to be multiple drafts.

Remember Matt Millen had a good first draft.

He is not going to go out and sign veterans to a bunch of bad contracts. He is too intelligent to do that. He has proven that. So i am right in my guarantee

Even if he does overpay someone, they will be better than our current closed end, pass rushing dt and nickel cb. So the lions will improve

Bar is set low at those 3 positions and run blocking. Only one way to go

He is not going to go out and sign veterans to a bunch of bad contracts. He is too intelligent to do that. He has proven that. So i am right in my guarantee

Even if he does overpay someone, they will be better than our current closed end, pass rushing dt and nickel cb. So the lions will improve

So now you are guaranteeing what someone else is going to do in the future.

Again you're talking like a middle schooler who always has to say "I'm right". Talk like an adult and you'll find people are more receptive. People are people, they don't operate on scientific theorem levels and keep repeating the same behaviors over and over. You can't "prove" what Quinn is going to do, and you can't be "right" about something that hasn't happened yet....

Why don't we wait and see first? Why don't you actually allow for the possibility that something else might happen? You don't have to be a troll every day you know.

Again you're talking like a middle schooler who always has to say "I'm right". Talk like an adult and you'll find people are more receptive. People are people, they don't operate on scientific theorem levels and keep repeating the same behaviors over and over. You can't "prove" what Quinn is going to do, and you can't be "right" about something that hasn't happened yet....

Why don't we wait and see first? Why don't you actually allow for the possibility that something else might happen? You don't have to be a troll every day you know.

You really think Quinn is going to go out and overpay a bunch of bad players?

We could have everyone healthy, play 12 men on each side of the ball and we wouldn't be any better.

These are the kind of comments you should focus on bad mouthing, UMRules. The quote is a troll comment. I present opinions and facts that we discuss

Back