Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Stafford to 5 year $135 Million deal, highest paid QB, now restructured

I?m certainly not making excuses for his poor play last year.....but games 2-7 he had 115+ rating and 70 is QBR.

Then he hurts his back.....and it falls to 75 ish rating and a 45 QBR. He wasn?t the same guy.

Either way....hoping for a healthy and more consistent year from #9!
Overall maybe but game 8 to 13 were all bad. Game 12 was the Rams. What the about those previous 4 games. Matt's 2018 was like Matt's career, all over the board. He wasn't bad because of the back.

Last edited:
Overall maybe but game 8 to 13 were all bad. Game 12 was the Rams. What the about those previous 4 games. Matt's 2018 was like Matt's career, all over the board. He wasn't bad because of the back.

Geez Mitch did you examine him? You are all over Stafford, like Tom is all over Miggy.
I'm trying to figure out what it is...did you lose money betting on them and Stafford lost the game?

In any event it's kinda funny.

I know there are others who feel the same about Stafford, but they don't post as much...

Geez Mitch did you examine him? You are all over Stafford, like Tom is all over Miggy.
I'm trying to figure out what it is...did you lose money betting on them and Stafford lost the game?

In any event it's kinda funny.

I know there are others who feel the same about Stafford, but they don't post as much...
Because I want a better QB. He can be good. He can be very good. He can be bad and very bad. Thus the problem.

As far as this, O'Hara said he got hurt vs the Rams, but the previous 4 games he was terrible and no back problems. I want more from this team. Not a lousy playoff game every 2-3 years. I bag on him more because he's the king dog, making the kings pile of money.

Yeah I understand, they get the big money.

When Cabrera was at his peak, the Tigers had a great offense and pitching, let's just not talk about the bullpen/closer.

With Stafford and the Lions, when have they had the offense, defense, and special teams all with excellent players and depth players. So Stafford is trying to do the impossible. Maybe that's why he is so up and down. He did pull out like 8 or 9 wins one year recently, not so much the past year(s).

Yeah I understand, they get the big money.

When Cabrera was at his peak, the Tigers had a great offense and pitching, let's just not talk about the bullpen/closer.

With Stafford and the Lions, when have they had the offense, defense, and special teams all with excellent players and depth players. So Stafford is trying to do the impossible. Maybe that's why he is so up and down. He did pull out like 8 or 9 wins one year recently, not so much the past year(s).
About those 8 or 9 wins. When you play bad for 45 minutes but have a good 2 minute warning why does he get credit for that. Maybe if he played better earlier he wouldn't need a 4th quarter comeback. He's just so inconsistent, always has been. He can do a few things right but then so many things wrong. I just want more from him not status quo. I'm tired of seeing this team not win playoff games year after year after year. So I'll bag on Matt I've done worse.

Last edited:
Could it have been the defense or special teams besides Stafford that put them in the hole? Lots of intangibles, and players.

I understand how you and some of the others feel about him. But I just don't think it's all on him.

Could it have been the defense or special teams besides Stafford that put them in the hole? Lots of intangibles, and players.

I understand how you and some of the others feel about him. But I just don't think it's all on him.
I'm not talking about being down by 2-3 TD more like Matt just played bad. Missed passes, wide open guys thrown over their head etc.. I'm making up for the times I used to say Harrington was going to be a great QB.

I'm not talking about being down by 2-3 TD more like Matt just played bad. Missed passes, wide open guys thrown over their head etc.. I'm making up for the times I used to say Harrington was going to be a great QB.

Talking 2016. He played well in the wins. And his lowest QB rating was in the 4th Quarter that year so he wasn't the reason they were behind. 100+ QB rating in 9 wins. 80 QB rating in the losses and of course he had the finger injury for the final 4 games (including 3 losses). Took 100 QB rating to 93 on the year

2017 he had a very good year. 99 rating on the year. 113 QB rating in wins. 83 rating in losses.

2018 had 100 rating again until weapons died, Tate traded and Oline stopped blocking as well. But Lions went 3-4 with poor defense in those games and little run game in those 4 losses.

Last edited:
I?m certainly not making excuses for his poor play last year.....but games 2-7 he had 115+ rating and 70 is QBR.

Then he hurts his back.....and it falls to 75 ish rating and a 45 QBR. He wasn?t the same guy.

Either way....hoping for a healthy and more consistent year from #9!

He had a 90.7 rating before allegedly hurting his back (Games 1-11)
He had a 89.4 rating after allegedly hurting his back (Games 13-16)

So even before hurting his back he was rated just above Jameis Winston and just below Nick Mullens.

Last edited:
Everyone it seems has a 90+ passer rating these days.

It sure seems that way.

Last season there were 24 players with passer ratings above 90 including a rookie.

There were 10 that had ratings higher than Stafford's career best 99.3

Stafford is nothing more than an above average QB.

Short throws. Even Drew Brees is throwing a ton of short passes. It's all about time of possession or something.

Short throws. Even Drew Brees is throwing a ton of short passes. It's all about time of possession or something.

I think that is part of it but I think the rules in place are what promotes more passing. Defenders can't even sneeze on the QB now or it's a penalty.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019...w-stafford-contract-restructure-2020-cap-room
Detroit Lions create extra 2020 cap room with Matthew Stafford contract restructure.
The Lions will have an extra nest egg for offseason spending.
POD

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019...atthew-stafford-roster-bonus-2020-salary-cap/
Lions convert Matthew Stafford's roster bonus to create more 2020 salary cap room.
LionsWire

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...t-clear-additional-2020-cap-space/2757164001/
Lions restructure Matthew Stafford's contract, clear additional 2020 cap space.
Detnews

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019...w-stafford-contract-restructure-2020-cap-room
Detroit Lions create extra 2020 cap room with Matthew Stafford contract restructure.
The Lions will have an extra nest egg for offseason spending.
POD

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2019...atthew-stafford-roster-bonus-2020-salary-cap/
Lions convert Matthew Stafford's roster bonus to create more 2020 salary cap room.
LionsWire

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...t-clear-additional-2020-cap-space/2757164001/
Lions restructure Matthew Stafford's contract, clear additional 2020 cap space.
Detnews

Total it all up, and Stafford?s cap hit for 2020 is now $26.7 million, a savings of $4.8 million.

The salary cap is expected to rise by eight figures for the seventh straight year. The official cap won?t be released for another couple months, but the NFL has estimated it will be between $196.8 million and $201.2 million per team. The cap is currently at $188.2 million for 2019.

Detroit is expected to have at least $50 million to spend when free agency opens in March, pending any new deals with current players.

Cap is too high already. Higher cap, more spending - how do they recoup all that spent money? Fans.

Cap is too high already. Higher cap, more spending - how do they recoup all that spent money? Fans.

I say it every year people complain about the cap being too high. I'd rather the money be in the hands of the players than the owners. As long as the fans and networks are doling out cash, pay the ones getting brain damage and blown ACLs.

Last edited:
Back