Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Martinez: done for 2012?

Posting all the links/stories in the Tigers Team Notes
Word is that Fielder doesn't want to DH.
Tigers will probably recoup half of Victor's salary for 2012.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Posting all the links/stories in the Tigers Team Notes

Well, maybe Prince really doesn't want to DH, but his appetite and expanding waistline may soon force the issue to the forefront. No other NL team is gonna want to sign him to a lengthy and extremely expensive contract that might result in Fielder soon eating himself off of first base,and onto their bench as merely being a PH.

Turok said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Posting all the links/stories in the Tigers Team Notes

Well, maybe Prince really doesn't want to DH, but his appetite and expanding waistline may soon force the issue to the forefront. No other NL team is gonna want to sign him to a lengthy and extremely expensive contract that might result in Fielder soon eating himself off of first base,and onto their bench as merely being a PH.

that's true. Most every team has to be thinking that wide body is going to lose offensive production quicker than leaner players.
Another name being mentioned is Carlos Pena as a DH platoon... and can fill in at first like Victor for Cabrera on occasion.

I really think that's why he hasn't been signed yet, and there really isn't a ton of interest either. He's young and productive, but he's not only overweight, he's sloppy, and not a good long term signing candidate because of that.

This definitely ups the Ante for the Tigers to make a move.. They need to go after Cespedes and probably another bat now..

kingofdetroit57 said:
I really think that's why he hasn't been signed yet, and there really isn't a ton of interest either. He's young and productive, but he's not only overweight, he's sloppy, and not a good long term signing candidate because of that.
Even if he wasn't.. The contract he demands is pretty ridiculous and add that to the fact that most teams willing to pay said salary already have a 1st baseman in place..

imo the best option for us right now is pena. he gets on base a lot and has power, hes probably the best option left for us. i hate to say it, but if this was gonna happen i wish it had happened when beltran was unsigned.

Spockmaster said:
imo the best option for us right now is pena. he gets on base a lot and has power, hes probably the best option left for us. i hate to say it, but if this was gonna happen i wish it had happened when beltran was unsigned.
I think if the TIgers got Cespedes and signed Guerrero or Pena, that would fill the void nicely..

tigers99888 said:
Spockmaster said:
I think if the TIgers got Cespedes and signed Guerrero or Pena, that would fill the void nicely..

for the spot in the batting order maybe Pena over Vlad. If they keep Young, with him and Vlad hacking away, idk. Pena k's his share but even with a drop of walks still has a good obp.
So frustrating, only way this would be worse, is if it was Cabrera or JV.
DD will look at all the options available, make a move, and if Ilitch is going to say add a little more to payroll.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
tigers99888 said:

for the spot in the batting order maybe Pena over Vlad. If they keep Young, with him and Vlad hacking away, idk. Pena k's his share but even with a drop of walks still has a good obp.
DD will look at all the options available, make a move, and if Ilitch is going to say add a little more to payroll.

Perhaps the Tigers can turn this very unfortunate situation into being more positive, by having to set their sights a bit higher than they might have wanted to. But as I mentioned in another thread, the Tigers are not only losing his big bat, but also Victor's leadership qualities and clubhouse presence. Those qualities can't be replaced and bought by just throwing more money at them, obviously.

It would be comparable to maybe as for an example, losing you here on this Tigers messageboard forum, for a year, Tigers fan proboards members would still post here, as much as they always have done, and perhaps one or even several of us might pick up the slack by filling the void left behind with your two sticky threads, and continue them, but the threads would not be anywhere as thorough, nor nearly the same. You pour your Tigers' heart and soul into your two threads with a huge amount of previous research, experience, gusto and devotion.

Fielder wants a 10-year deal. No way he takes a 1-year, risking an underperformance and devaluing his future.

Maize&blue21 said:
[quote="KalineCountry":zgclis6h]I was in my car and just leaving for a wake, Bob called and said what happened to Victor. XM mlb network station said it was during a workout as mentioned.
Options sound like, now being forced to get Cespedes for LF and Delmon as DH.
as mentioned, there have been reports that Fielder will take a 1 year contract for 2012 and then go to FA again. this would be expensive for the year, but Tigers must have some recoup with insurance on V-Mart's contract.
Other options, Damon? Maggs? .......
This definitely sucks for the team, but also for Martinez beyond 2012. Will he regain his stroke? forget catching again. He will be going on 35? and on the 3rd year of the contract.
I would love to have Prince on a one year contract[/quote:zgclis6h]

Agreed. What would going to the big show in Oct bring in? Plenty, I'd say. I'd go for the Cuban kid first, Prince F second.

smayschmouthfootball said:
Fielder wants a 10-year deal. No way he takes a 1-year, risking an underperformance and devaluing his future.

True. But, as noted, if you gave him 25 super-large for a year, who knows? Fielder may look at it as becoming super-rich while auditioning for 2013. Doesn't really seem all that crazy to me. Crazy would be having shine-box or cringe 'protecting Cabby'.

zonietigerfan said:

True. But, as noted, if you gave him 25 super-large for a year, who knows? Fielder may look at it as becoming super-rich while auditioning for 2013. Doesn't really seem all that crazy to me. Crazy would be having shine-box or cringe 'protecting Cabby'.

You don't audition when you're coming off a "good year".

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
zonietigerfan said:

You don't audition when you're coming off a "good year".
I tend to agree, Mitch, but I think this year is different because Pujols stole Fielder's market. I think Miami, Texas, and maybe a couple others like Toronto and Baltimore have serious interest in Fielder, but that's probably about it. The problem with the first two is that they've already spent money and are focused elsewhere. I could see the Cubs, Mets, Red Sux, White Sux and other larger market teams being more interested next year after they start rebuilding, so a big money 1yr deal could make sense for him.

Turok said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]

Perhaps the Tigers can turn this very unfortunate situation into being more positive, by having to set their sights a bit higher than they might have wanted to. But as I mentioned in another thread, the Tigers are not only losing his big bat, but also Victor's leadership qualities and clubhouse presence. Those qualities can't be replaced and bought by just throwing more money at them, obviously.

It would be comparable to maybe as for an example, losing you here on this Tigers messageboard forum, for a year, Tigers fan proboards members would still post here, as much as they always have done, and perhaps one or even several of us might pick up the slack by filling the void left behind with your two sticky threads, and continue them, but the threads would not be anywhere as thorough, nor nearly the same. You pour your Tigers' heart and soul into your two threads with a huge amount of previous research, experience, gusto and devotion.

Martinez is/was the perfect bat behind Cabrera. The type of hitter that is difficult to get out because he hits foul line to foul line, doesn't try to do more with the pitch than needs be, experienced, and all that clubhouse chemistry you said. Last year you always saw Victor talking with a player in the dugout, must have been about what to look for next at bat, that type of thing.

As for me, some day that will happen, I'm not getting younger. I have thought about it, and kind of have a feeling who might want to and try to follow it up, continue same type threads. But when you're younger, there are more things out of necessity to be doing and involved in, work, family, friends all take up much of the day or evenings.
It is sort of like a job with out pay, and as said a labor of love. One thing we know is that nothing stays the same, eventually things come and go, change is inevitable with or without us. But yeah, I will do for as long as I can, and thankyou Doug for the kind/sincere words.

zonietigerfan said:

Fielder wants around 25MM/year for ten years, so a 1-year deal would cost astronomically more than that.

There is 0% chance that Prince Fielder plays for the Tigers next year. There is better chance that Cecil comes back than Prince signing here.

Back