Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Maryland

MSUMatt28

Least clutch MSU team I can remember. Can't get stops or buckets when it really matters.

Might be the worst 3 minute stretch I’ve ever seen. This team has no clutch bone in its body and their possession out of the timeout down 2 was a total joke

Can someone explain what foster loyer adds to this team? I hope he transfers to Oakland so badly. I can’t believe he won a Mr Basketball

And of course getting the effort from the other squad that is all world!! Hitting everything they take.... Annoying.
i pretty much knew after Purdue the season is over... If you arent pulling recruits this is what eventually happens. We have no size either in the front court

So much for winning all the home games and snatching one on the road. Only got to watch part of the 1st half where they looked lazy and disorganized. Effort was lacking - MD was getting to the basket and scoring or getting offensive rebounds at will. Seems like not much changed after we went out.

Giving up so many offensive rebounds is what annoys me most with this team. Especially the long ones they they just get out hustled to.

Can someone explain what foster loyer adds to this team? I hope he transfers to Oakland so badly. I can’t believe he won a Mr Basketball

I would say he adds that extra dimension of shortness, lack of strength and average at best speed that is so important at the point guard position in the modern era of college basketball. How else would we blow so many double digit leads without a guy like that to lead a lineup that can't score or get stops?

Team is not clutch at all. Awful end.

I'll say this again though, we have to come back from down big too often and we spend all of our energy on the comeback and rarely have enough gas left to finish. Seen it happen over and over this season.

Team is not clutch at all. Awful end.

I'll say this again though, we have to come back from down big too often and we spend all of our energy on the comeback and rarely have enough gas left to finish. Seen it happen over and over this season.

they couldn't have been gassed when MD was getting to the basket basically doing layup drills building that first half lead. They should spend more energy to avoid falling behind - make the other team work harder and not spot them double digit leads.

So when do we start to admit Izzo is no longer a great coach?

I want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt - especially after what he did with that whole Brian Bowens situation, he deserves a lot of credit and respect. He's not the coach he was but he doesn't suck either - he took an undermanned team to the Final Four last year beating dook to get there. And he took some punches to the gut with this team losing Ward to Europe or wherever and Langford to another injury on top of McQuaid graduating. I wish he would have recruited nationally more aggressively the last 20 years and maybe not keep so many former players who obviously aren't being sought by other programs on the staff for so long, but I still think he's a great coach.

Last edited:
So when do we start to admit Izzo is no longer a great coach?

LOL, he's won the last 2 Big Ten Titles, won the Big Ten Tournament Title last season, and went to the Final 4 last year while beating Coach K's most talented team ever. This year he's making the tourney and could still make a run despite losing the starting 2 guard for the season and having the starting 4 not be eligible until next season.

Not sure I even have a comparison for this type of year. Maybe 2006? High preseason expectations and some good vets like Davis, Ager, Brown but never put it together and got bounced by George Mason first round.

While last year I think was one of Izzos better coaching jobs I do think this year has been a definite disappointment coaching wise. I’ve seen zero improvement last year vs now for guys like Henry or Loyer or Bingham. Brown has gone silent for the most part in big ten play and is a liability when he’s not making shots. I expected Tillman to be able to knock down more jumpers and he hasn’t (although his shot looks good to me they just brick off the rim). Watts seems to be coming along but other than an occasional bucket here and there I don’t see much production from other freshmen like Hall or Marble since the Seton Hall game.

Back