Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mayhew Says Tulloch Deal Close

lions2011

at some fan event today Marty say's talks are promising and hopes it gets done , say's they'll talk either tonight or again tomorrow.

Stephen Tulloch - LB - Lions

Lions GM Martin Mayhew says the team has had "very productive conversations" with free agent MLB Stephen Tulloch.
"We

Thats awesome. He really was the unquestioned leader on the defense last year.

That will make free agency worth while and not having to spend a draft pick on a LB.

MLive.com reports free agent MLB Stephen Tulloch is seeking a contract that will pay him "no less" than $6 million per season.
It's not quite D'Qwell Jackson money, but it's close. Although GM Martin Mayhew said Monday the sides were having "very productive conversations," the Lions are "currently unwilling" to meet Tulloch's monetary demands. They'll host free agent MLB David Hawthorne in a leverage play on Tuesday.

SLICK said:

MLive.com reports free agent MLB Stephen Tulloch is seeking a contract that will pay him "no less" than $6 million per season.
It's not quite D'Qwell Jackson money, but it's close. Although GM Martin Mayhew said Monday the sides were having "very productive conversations," the Lions are "currently unwilling" to meet Tulloch's monetary demands. They'll host free agent MLB David Hawthorne in a leverage play on Tuesday.
6 mil seems reasonable. Jackson got 8. Big difference.

lp4ever41 said:
SLICK said:

6 mil seems reasonable. Jackson got 8. Big difference.

you got to look at the details of Jackson's contract to really figure out what he will get

Jacksons contract is a great deal for the Browns , they protected themselves nicely....it's actually a 2 year deal with a big roster bonus in the 3rd year...should he get hurt again or they decide to another way in 2 years they can get out of it.

SLICK said:
Jacksons contract is a great deal for the Browns , they protected themselves nicely....it's actually a 2 year deal with a big roster bonus in the 3rd year...should he get hurt again or they decide to another way in 2 years they can get out of it.
Sure. But even if its just 2 years, Detroit wouldn't pay 16 over 2 years.

lp4ever41 said:
SLICK said:
Sure. But even if its just 2 years, Detroit wouldn't pay 16 over 2 years.

ya....dont like $16 Mill for 2 yrs....

Jackson has 6.2 million cap numbers the first two years. Then like Slick said, the big roster bonus. Jackson will only be a Brown for 2 years.

I have no problem with them giving Tulloch a deal like that. Year 3 make a decision with 3 drafts in there

lionskillpack said:
Jackson has 6.2 million cap numbers the first two years. Then like Slick said, the big roster bonus. Jackson will only be a Brown for 2 years.

I have no problem with them giving Tulloch a deal like that. Year 3 make a decision with 3 drafts in there

since he's only asking for $6/yr......I would have a problem. Besides, you forgot to mention the $4.2 Mill cap hit in 2014 if he is cut

lionskillpack said:

The first two seasons on MLB D'Qwell Jackson's new five-year, $42.5 million contract are essentially fully guaranteed.
He got $16.8 million in the first two years, including a $7 million signing bonus and fully guaranteed salaries of $3.4 million (2012) and $3.6 million (2013). Jackson's guarantees, aside from one small injury-only "guarantee" on his 2014 salary, stop after the first two seasons, and he's due a third-year non-guaranteed $4 million roster bonus. That's when the NFL's new TV money kicks in, but the Browns can get out of the contract easily after two years

Yeah, first two years are light. However, $7 mil signing bonus (assuming thats spread out over the 5 years) means that if you cut him after two years, you take a $4.2 mil cap hit. Not sure if you can restrict how many years the signing bonus gets spread out over.

lp4ever41 said:
lionskillpack said:

The first two seasons on MLB D'Qwell Jackson's new five-year, $42.5 million contract are essentially fully guaranteed.
He got $16.8 million in the first two years, including a $7 million signing bonus and fully guaranteed salaries of $3.4 million (2012) and $3.6 million (2013). Jackson's guarantees, aside from one small injury-only "guarantee" on his 2014 salary, stop after the first two seasons, and he's due a third-year non-guaranteed $4 million roster bonus. That's when the NFL's new TV money kicks in, but the Browns can get out of the contract easily after two years

Yeah, first two years are light. However, $7 mil signing bonus (assuming thats spread out over the 5 years) means that if you cut him after two years, you take a $4.2 mil cap hit. Not sure if you can restrict how many years the signing bonus gets spread out over.

6yrs to the best of my knowledge

he's obviously not getting a Jackson type deal....or it would be done already....Lofton , Tulloch and Hawthorne are all in the same boat right now...the market just isnt what they thought it'd be for them.

tsmith7559 said:
lionskillpack said:

since he's only asking for $6/yr......I would have a problem. Besides, you forgot to mention the $4.2 Mill cap hit in 2014 if he is cut

4.2 in dead space or 8 million him playing. 4.2 still will be 2 million less than his cap number the previous year. Browns have a decision to make in 2 years.

Mayhew did say he didn't think Tulloch was worth that in that article last night. I guess we'll just wait and see but I'm glad they seem closer than before and have a good backup plan in Hawthorne

Back