Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan becoming public in name only, diversity dropping

huh.

the focus on revenue explains why they are so damn strict about establishing residency for out-of-staters.

My cousin's parents moved to Michigan from Pennsylvania just prior to her freshman year. That first year, she paid out-of-state tuition, and her dad had paid taxes in the state of Michigan for over a year at that point, and was a permanent resident, but I remember them having to fight a year-long battle to get her moved to in-state for her soph year and beyond.

the part about intending to remain in the state permanently is strange. pretty much everyone I knew - regardless of whether they were in-state or out-of-state - planned on leaving Michigan sometime after graduation from undergrad or grad school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado made it much, much harder to qualify as "in state" due to the number of people who moved here and would say they're a resident. Without bills and an address history, it's really hard. So for all the hippies who crashed at their buddy's place in Boulder for a while, they had a harder time than someone who moved here and established themselves right away-- utilities, income, state income tax, etc

plus I think the tuition difference encourages the schools to seek 'out of state' students who may actually live in Colorado.

was trying to see how Michigan measures up to other publics in terms of in-state/out-of-state enrollment.

I found this list; not sure if its a reputable site. their methodology seems a bit suspect, to put it mildly.

anyways, according to this, UM's student body is 34% out-of-state. I assume that's undergrad only, but it doesn't say. There are a few other state schools with similar %'s, and Michigan isn't close to being the highest.

North Dakota State is a whopping 55%. UFlorida seems unrealistically low, @3%

I think the key point to remember is that the Board of Regents can hire and fire the president, (I think), the athletic director, or the head of the medical center and we the people elect the board. The problem is that the Regents mostly are NOT career politicians looking for the next step up in politics so they are less responsive to the citizens than a legislator who's full time job is to represent.

Snyder's 2015 budget calls for a 6% increase in funding for all public universities, we're not getting back to pre bailout levels but it would be moving in the right direction. The funding was cut almost 1/3 in Snyder's first year.

I'm not sure if Michigan has something like this but i'm signed up for the Spartan Advocate, basically a newsletter on legislation and how it affects the university. We're encouraged to email our state reps about those issues.

I don't love everything in the Snyder budget but public education funding is huge personally with 3 kids. I've been pre-paying in-state tuition hoping the kids go to Michigan or MSU.

Last edited:
Back