Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan's next Head Football Coach will be...

It wouldn't be about that. If he thinks the fanbase (or the big donors more likely) would react positively and it would save his job, then he'd probably do it.

Well, if he's under an ultimatum, then maybe he decides he has no choice but to give the fans/boosters what they want. And if they want Miles, then he has to get Miles and point the finger back at them if it doesn't work out, or we get ensnared in sanctions.

But if he still has a free hand, and he's able to get Schlissel/the Regents to consent to a Non-Miles hire (their consent giving him some cover if it doesn't work out immediately) he'll be able to hire whoever he wants, and come close to finishing out his term.

I don't see any circumstance where Brandon gets to hire the next coach after Hoke's successor though.

Well, if he's under an ultimatum, then maybe he decides he has no choice but to give the fans/boosters what they want. And if they want Miles, then he has to get Miles and point the finger back at them if it doesn't work out, or we get ensnared in sanctions.

But if he still has a free hand, and he's able to get Schlissel/the Regents to consent to a Non-Miles hire (their consent giving him some cover if it doesn't work out immediately) he'll be able to hire whoever he wants, and come close to finishing out his term.

I don't see any circumstance where Brandon gets to hire the next coach after Hoke's successor though.

Hopefully it's because you're right, that it's Jim Harbaugh for the next 20 years of UM football.

If and I mean if J. Harbaugh came and we happened fo win a NC, he would be gone to the NFL as soon as the right situation opened up for him. He is too competitive as a person and with his bro. He came real close to tasting victory in the Super Bowl.. No way he would stay at Michigan for very long

Last edited:
If and I mean if J. Harbaugh came and we happened fo win a NC, he would be gone to the NFL as soon as the right situation opened up for him. He is too competitive as a person and with his bro. He came real close to tasting victory in the Super Bowl.. No way he would stay at Michigan for very long

really? I didn't realize you knew the Harbaugh brothers personally.

Two rumors that I have heard recently ...one pure Rumor and the other speculation, so take it for what it's worth.

Per an Atty in NY who works for the NFL, it's known in circles that Michigan is currently putting together a "Saban-like package" for Jim Harbaugh ...

Per Gary Barnett, who is back around the CU program after changes in the AD in Boulder, the next coach at Michigan, without a doubt at all, is Les Miles.

...........the only connection that Barnett has is via Bill McCartney, if that. Otherwise, just a former HC at Northwestern and Colorado who apparently has said as much on the UM coaching topic to CU boosters I was with Saturday (had the UM/MSU game on TV in the suite)

FWIW.. (not much)

Last edited:
Two rumors that I have heard recently ...one pure Rumor and the other speculation, so take it for what it's worth.

Per an Atty in NY who works for the NFL, it's known in circles that Michigan is currently putting together a "Saban-like package" for Jim Harbaugh ...

Per Gary Barnett, who is back around the CU program after changes in the AD in Boulder, the next coach at Michigan, without a doubt at all, is Les Miles.

...........the only connection that Barnett has is via Bill McCartney, if that. Otherwise, just a former HC at Northwestern and Colorado who apparently has said as much on the UM coaching topic to CU boosters I was with Saturday (had the UM/MSU game on TV in the suite)

FWIW.. (not much)

you apparently aren't telepathically connected to the Harbaugh brothers, like some people who post here, and therefore don't know exactly what they're thinking.

the thought that we'd have to put together a "Saban like package" to get a winning coach here gives me pause. I think it's generally a bad thing to have to throw money at someone - anyone - like that. ...But then again, if Harbaugh is a "sure bet" like Saban, maybe that's just what you have to do these days.

I could be wrong, but Harbaugh doesn't seem motivated by $$$ as much as a guy like Saban though.

the thought that we'd have to put together a "Saban like package" to get a winning coach here gives me pause. I think it's generally a bad thing to have to throw money at someone - anyone - like that. ...But then again, if Harbaugh is a "sure bet" like Saban, maybe that's just what you have to do these days.

I could be wrong, but Harbaugh doesn't seem motivated by $$$ as much as a guy like Saban though.

Admittedly I don't know what any Harbaugh is thinking but have been told Jim won't be quitting the 49'ers for any job (may get fired, but that he won't quit).

IF ...if, Jim is available I think it becomes a game whereby Stephen Ross can either help him get to A2 or will make sure he goes to Miami. Any sort of "Saban-like deal" would involve a lot of moving parts and Ross has said the University has his blessing regarding Brandon, whatever the decision is...

The idea of such a "package" is simply so that Jim wouldn't be able to bolt after a handful of years and the total compensation would be enough to outbid the NFL suitors and keep him in place for a while.

Last edited:
Admittedly I don't know what any Harbaugh is thinking but have been told Jim won't be quitting the 49'ers for any job (may get fired, but that he won't quit).

IF ...if, Jim is available I think it becomes a game whereby Stephen Ross can either help him get to A2 or will make sure he goes to Miami. Any sort of "Saban-like deal" would involve a lot of moving parts and Ross has said the University has his blessing regarding Brandon, whatever the decision is...

The idea of such a "package" is simply so that Jim wouldn't be able to bolt after a handful of years and the total compensation would be enough to outbid the NFL suitors and keep him in place for a while.

what's your take on the compensation necessary to please him? I remember a bit of flak when Stanford alumni opened up their wallets to build him a private bathroom. still I get the sense he's more of a "win first and let the money situation work itself out" guy than a "demand a mountain of cash" guy.

It seems to me though, that if he's even considering taking the Michigan job, money isn't his first consideration, or even second... otherwise he'd just jump to another NFL team.

I'd imagine the press conference if (when?) he's hired going something like this:

Reporter #1: [obligatory dumb "Michigan Man" question]

Harbaugh: "Yes, I am a Michigan Man. You can't GET more Michigan Man than me. Next."

Reporter #2: "What about the thing you said about Michigan academics for the football team being a joke, and them steering you away from the major you wanted?"

Harbaugh: "Well, the funny thing about that, is I was just, uh... the academics are great here, you know?"

The rumored amounts for the Jets and Dolphins is in the $7M range, which is roughly double what Hoke is currently getting as HC and in a Saban-like sphere. Who knows what motivations there are for anyone, but a few million/year is pretty substantial. Especially for an NFL coach who may want to stay in the Pros and give it a shot elsewhere ....knowing that the UM job may be open again in a few years, even if a Les Miles takes it

yeah, that's what I was referring to in a prior post - this:

"On Monday, Ross said that he still thinks Brandon can do the job. But he also has promised school president Mark Schlissel that he won’t interfere or oppose a decision to fire Brandon."

yeah, that's what I was referring to in a prior post - this:

"On Monday, Ross said that he still thinks Brandon can do the job. But he also has promised school president Mark Schlissel that he won?t interfere or oppose a decision to fire Brandon."

in the same article Ross mentioned that Schlissel has been "talking to a lot of people" about Brandon. I bet they wish he would keep his mouth shut. he'll probably get a memo to that effect soon

What we need is, we need to install a radically different offense of system.

We should bring in a coach who has demonstrated success with the spread offense.

And everybody needs to understand that it's going to be a 3 to 4 year rebuilding project, because that's how long it will take that coach to get the players to run his system.

Because the cupboard is going to be pretty much bare.

in the same article Ross mentioned that Schlissel has been "talking to a lot of people" about Brandon. I bet they wish he would keep his mouth shut. he'll probably get a memo to that effect soon

Who is going to get the memo from whom?

Will Ross be getting the memo from Shlissel, or will Shlissel be getting the memo from Ross?

We should bring in a coach who has demonstrated success with the spread offense.

And everybody needs to understand that it's going to be a 3 to 4 year rebuilding project, because that's how long it will take that coach to get the players to run his system.

You mean Les Miles, right? Pretty sure this is some sort of Les Miles joke.

gotta get your excuses firmly in place before you lose to at home to Toledo and go 3-9. This is why RichRod failed in Ann Arbor.

Easy there, killer.

Les' squad just beat the #3 team in the polls, not #1. Let's not go making his win out to be more than it is!

I've ruled out the Harbaughs as potential replacements. Like I typed earlier, the only way I'm getting my hopes up is if Hoke isn't fired right after the OSU game, or is fired after the OSU game and no coach is "found" heading into the middle of January. That tells me one of the Harbaughs has told UM that they'll consider the position after their season has ended, which could be late January or even early February. I'm also not even considering Mullen, Malzahn, and Sumlin as candidates either as Mullen I think goes to Florida if he won't stay at MSU, Malzahn has no ties to the north/midwest, and Sumlin makes more at TAMU than Hoke does at UM.

My list.

1. Les Miles - proven winner
2. Greg Schiano - toughness, turned it around at Rutgers, may be reason #1 Rutgers even had the opportunity to join the B1G, defensive minded and on a national championship staff, unemployed right now so easiest hire in that regard
3. Mark Stoops - coaching family, apparently a great recruiter as he's getting talented kids to come to UK to get their asses kicked - except they're not getting their asses kicked, another defensive coach with a national championship as an asst, UK team looking like one of the better UK teams of late.
4. Chuck Martin - gets a lot of credit for being Notre Dame OC during their run to the BCS title game, but that team scored 13 on Michigan despite 1.4 million turnovers. He was the OC, but that was Brian Kelly's offense. He's 2-3 in the MAC this year after the program lost I think 13 straight conference games. His teams at GVSU were insanely good. He's from the Brian Kelly coaching tree, and quite frankly, I have no problem with that.
5. Butch Jones - Another from the Brian Kelly coaching tree, success as HC at Central and Cincinnati, teams are overmatched right now at Tennessee, though most acknowledge that after the school had Kiffin for one year, things went south with all the coaching changes, and Jones is just trying to clean up the mess.
6. Tom Herman - if UM wants to give a guy his first head coaching job, Tom Herman might not be a bad pick, OC at OSU, has great resume as far as producing offensively, if he keeps Nuss on board, two minds who can hopefully fix what's broken with Morris, though doubt he keeps Mattison, defense could slide

I don't want Cam Cameron as HC, wouldn't mind if he followed Miles to UM to be OC.

#1, #3, whatever, but ya'll git ma point. The fight down on the bayou ain't even settled yit and after their yankee coach just beat dem boys from Ole Miss ya'll can bet there's gonna be a tussle in Batun Roooouge afore they let him go back up yonder.

Now pass me the gator and possum pie Emmy Lou.

Back