Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB adds Negro Leagues to official records

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
I assumed Gibson's numbers were a bit distorted but he's still the boss. Or was. The bigger question the talent level on teams across the league, i.e. flooded on 2-3 teams and weak on other teams (I always hear that). But its not all that different sometimes with MLB.

Gibson hit .466 one year, that would be tops now. He would also move right behind Cobb with career BA.

Gibson hit .466 one year, that would be tops now. He would also move right behind Cobb with career BA.

I think a lot of the stats aren't legit. There are basically a lot of games where there were no records of the game played, who they were playing against, etc. Some say he had 800 HRs but most of those were in exhibition games or in other minor leagues. It appears that the year he "hit .466" he only had 183 plate appearances. People were bitching about last year's shortened season and saying some stats & awards should not be recognized. Last year's AL batting champ hit .364 in 50 games and had 216 plate appearances. He must have only played in about 40 games that year.

It appears that he was an all time great. He had great accomplishments and is in the HOF. But putting some of these "records" in the record books as "all time" probably isn't appropriate.

Last edited:
I think a lot of the stats aren't legit. There are basically a lot of games where there were no records of the game played, who they were playing against, etc. Some say he had 800 HRs but most of those were in exhibition games or in other minor leagues. It appears that the year he "hit .466" he only had 183 plate appearances. People were bitching about last year's shortened season and saying some stats & awards should not be recognized. Last year's AL batting champ hit .364 in 50 games and had 216 plate appearances. He must have only played in about 40 games that year.

It appears that he was an all time great. He had great accomplishments and is in the HOF. But putting some of these "records" in the record books as "all time" probably isn't appropriate.
The exhibition games or playing town to town (barnstorming) on their off time won't count. So I think they said Gibson's home runs that will count ate 248 or something similar. But less than a 1000 games. Sad he died after turning 35, just months before Jackie Robinson joined MLB.

The exhibition games or playing town to town (barnstorming) on their off time won't count. So I think they said Gibson's home runs that will count ate 248 or something similar. But less than a 1000 games. Sad he died after turning 35, just months before Jackie Robinson joined MLB.

I didn't know he died so young.

I didn't know he died so young.
This is what it said in Wiki..

In early 1943, Gibson fell into a coma and was diagnosed with a brain tumor. After regaining consciousness, he refused the option of surgical removal and lived the next four years with recurring headaches. In 1944, Gibson was hospitalized in Washington, D.C. at Gallinger Hospital for mental observation.[16] On January 20, 1947, Gibson died of a stroke at 35 years old in Pittsburgh. He was buried at the Allegheny Cemetery in the Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh, where he lay in an unmarked grave until a small plaque was placed in 1975.

Back