Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

More Whitehead Buzz

lp4ever41

Along with Reiff and Green

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2012/06/detroit_lions_rookies_riley_re.html

Here are a few observations from Detroit's first minicamp session:
-- Lions WR Titus Young caught a short touchdown pass with cornerback Aaron Berry defending him. Both players jumped, but Young had perfect position in front of Berry, and the receiver ended up with the ball. Young responded by spiking the football.
-- After giving up a touchdown, Berry grabbed an interception during team drills (he was not defending Young). Berry responded by punting the football.
-- Lions rookie Riley Reiff took plenty of second team reps at left tackle during Tuesday's practice. He also received extended playing time with the third team. Reiff continues to show his quick footwork and blocking potential.
-- Lions rookie Ronnell Lewis is primarily playing defensive end and not linebacker in Detroit. He said the transition has not been that difficult.
-- Receiver Stefan Logan is also getting limited reps at running back. The Lions appear ready to expand his role on Sundays.
-- Young and rookie receiver Patrick Edwards are possible kick return candidates. Young is usually the first player back returning kickoffs, while Edwards is also contributing.
-- Rookie receiver Ryan Broyles was limited in practice once again. Broyles participated in individual drills, but was not involved in offense vs. defense activities. The goal remains to have him ready for training camp.
-- Lions rookie cornerback Jonte Green is receiving a lot of work with the second team. He is arguably the team's biggest surprise this offseason. Bill Bentley grabbed an interception during practice, and both players played well on Tuesday.
-- Lions rookie Tahir Whitehead was very impressive during practice. He ran with the second team, but has tremendous speed and strength. It will be interesting to watch how he reacts when hitting is allowing during training camp.
-- Defensive end Lawrence Jackson may have recorded a few sacks if Tuesday's practice was at full speed.
-- Lions tight end Tony Scheffler is quietly having a very strong offseason. Scheffler's hands have been solid, and he actually appears to be quicker than last season.

Nice read....

One thing. Young as a PR candidate? I hope not. That's Broyles job to lose....

Last edited:
Nice read....

One thing. Young as a PR candidate? I hope not. That's Broyles job to lose....

I think he's just doing kickoffs Tony. Which he was decent at in Boise...And whoever is returning punts now is more than likely just keeping the seat warm until Broyles is healthy...

I like what I am reading so far but there is a big difference between looking good in OTA's and looking good in a game. I have guarded optimism that they will step up when its game time

Patrick Edwards was a good punt return man in college averaging about 15 yards per return, he might be another gem. But I agree Elrod, Broyles has got to figure into the return game when he is healthy.

The guy can barely walk. Not sure its Broyles job yet.

Barely walk? He's running now by the way.

If Broyles doesn't win that job, i'll eat my shoes. Only way he loses it, is if he shines as a WR and becomes the #2 or #3. Which is very likely.

Personally, i think he's a bit more talented than Young at the WR position. That's no knock on Titus. Broyles, when healthy, will be a force to reckon with. Can't wait to see 3-4 WR sets of CJ, Young, Broyles and Burleson come Sundays. That is nightmarish for defenses. Throw in Pettigrew and Scheff.....wow.

Last edited:

If Broyles doesn't win that job, i'll eat my shoes. Only way he loses it, is if he shines as a WR and becomes the #2 or #3. Which is very likely.

Personally, i think he's a bit more talented than Young at the WR position. That's no knock on Titus. Broyles, when healthy, will be a force to reckon with. Can't wait to see 3-4 WR sets of CJ, Young, Broyles and Burleson come Sundays. That is nightmarish for defenses. Throw in Pettigrew and Scheff.....wow.

I'm not sure rookies who have had injuries fit into the "his to lose" category just yet was the point I was trying to make.

Agreed...now imagine a healthy Best in the backfield...............................ridiculous

Hope those concussions go away

I'm not sure rookies who have had injuries fit into the "his to lose" category just yet was the point I was trying to make.

Sure it does. Broyles is way more talented than Edwards or even Logan. I'll put money on it that he wins the job.

Agreed...now imagine a healthy Best in the backfield...............................ridiculous

Hope those concussions go away

Forgot about Best and Leshoure. Wow, this offense could be really really scary. Scarier than last year? Yikes...

No shit, bro? I just know Broyles is a multi talented kid. He's 10x the football player than Edwards or Logan. You'll see.....

I like him to and I hope, very much. Maybe I'm being overly (I don't have a word here) about this but when I hear "his to lose" it means he's been given the job and that isn't the case.

logan needs to go.....waste of a roster spot. broyles or titus would both do a great job as PR. im not sure who to throw back as KR....guess it doesnt matter much when all you have to do is watch the ball sail out of the back of the endzone :/

Titus has never seen a whole lot of action as a punt returner, I think he sticks with kickoffs while Edwards has shown skill as a punt returner and he can keep the seat warm for Broyles.

I don't like seeing WR as returners with the big hits they take and with Titus being a top WR for us, I hope he stays away from it.

I don't like seeing WR as returners with the big hits they take and with Titus being a top WR for us, I hope he stays away from it.

It can be scary having a starter back there Mitch...remember Jason Sehorn getting injured in the preseason when they tried him as a return man? Guy was never the same...

Logan's kind of fallen off a bit...where's Mel when you need him?

It can be scary having a starter back there Mitch...remember Jason Sehorn getting injured in the preseason when they tried him as a return man? Guy was never the same...

Logan's kind of fallen off a bit...where's Mel when you need him?

Selling cars?

Back