Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

Looks like we have 12 kids on scholarship right now. Is that correct?

NCAA D1 basketball programs are allowed up to 13 scholarships I think. Correct?

Is there a reason we don't have a 13th kid on scholarship right now or another class of 2013 kid offered? Is there a scholarship tied up somehow that we can't use?

Edited to add: I just noticed Chapman was put on scholarship a few weeks back. Missed that.

But he's a Senior. Why don't we have another offer on someone for class of 2013?

we expect Harris and Dawson to go pro. there is also natural attrition over time

we expect Harris and Dawson to go pro. there is also natural attrition over time

Yep. I get that.

Right now we have three scholarships that we know will be available next year. Chapman's, Appling's and Payne's. That's three Seniors.

Izzo has only backfilled two of them for next year with Bess and Nairn.

The question is, why isn't he filling the third?

I don't see how the likely early departures of Dawson and Harris explains not filling that last scholarship for next year. As it is, if/when they leave, we'll have three open scholarships for next year.

I understand not having anything overtly in the pipeline to backfill two of the three unless/until they are actually available (Dawson's and Harris'). But not filling the third one (Chapman's) has me wondering.

If anything, I'd think that the likelihood of Harris and Dawson leaving early would make Izzo more prone to recruit hard on that last scholarship for next year. Unless he feels for some reason that his following class has huge potential and he's sandbagging for that class.

Last edited:
Yep. I get that.

Right now we have three scholarships that we know will be available next year. Chapman's, Appling's and Payne's. That's three Seniors.

Izzo has only backfilled two of them for next year with Bess and Nairn.

The question is, why isn't he filling the third?

I don't see how the likely early departures of Dawson and Harris explains not filling that last scholarship for next year. As it is, if/when they leave, we'll have three open scholarships for next year.

I understand not having anything overtly in the pipeline to backfill two of the three unless/until they are actually available (Dawson's and Harris'). But not filling the third one (Chapman's) has me wondering.

If anything, I'd think that the likelihood of Harris and Dawson leaving early would make Izzo more prone to recruit hard on that last scholarship for next year. Unless he feels for some reason that his following class has huge potential and he's sandbagging for that class.

we still have a few offers out to Looney, Alexander, Booker, Blackmon, and Blueitt.

the scholarship isn't filled because elite players are waiting longer and longer to make their decisions, some go until the summer like Andrew Wiggins. Looney is supposedly announcing Thursday, Alexander 11/15.

It seems odd to me that everyone assumes Dawson is gone. I hope he is a first rounder next year as it would mean he had a heck of a year this year, which in turn probably means the team will as well.

But unless he has made HUGE improvements with his perimeter skills (supposedly he has but let's see when the games get started), I can't seem him being better than a second rounder, which might be enough for him to leave anyway, I suppose.

It seems odd to me that everyone assumes Dawson is gone. I hope he is a first rounder next year as it would mean he had a heck of a year this year, which in turn probably means the team will as well.

But unless he has made HUGE improvements with his perimeter skills (supposedly he has but let's see when the games get started), I can't seem him being better than a second rounder, which might be enough for him to leave anyway, I suppose.

I heard he would have been gone if he were healthy last year and he's for sure gone this year no matter what. He'll play internationally if it comes to it, he has a son who's almost 4 so that plays into the decision

As Sbee said he has a son. That plays a major part in his decision. Also the NBA now days drafts more on potential than anything. Dawson is athletically gifted, that might be an understatement, he's very gifted. His ceiling is very high even though we haven't seen a lot from him. He has the potential to be a very good player in the NBA if developed.

Last edited:
we still have a few offers out to Looney, Alexander, Booker, Blackmon, and Blueitt.

the scholarship isn't filled because elite players are waiting longer and longer to make their decisions, some go until the summer like Andrew Wiggins. Looney is supposedly announcing Thursday, Alexander 11/15.

:clap:

Jerry Meyer changed his prediction to MSU for Bluiett and so have some others as of today and last night. MSU at 22 percent right now. His dad said about 5 days ago that the decision will come within a week. So we should see where he ends up very soon.

Blackmon, booker, and looney all announcing on Thursday

What are the odds all 3 go to Kentucky or worse, michigan?

my predictions

Blackmon Kentucky
Booker Mizzou
Looney Duke

one little thing I read though, Looney retweeted someone saying that he would look good in green and white, didn't retweet anyone else about other schools. that's most likely nothing but somewhat interesting

my predictions

Blackmon Kentucky
Booker Mizzou
Looney Duke

one little thing I read though, Looney retweeted someone saying that he would look good in green and white, didn't retweet anyone else about other schools. that's most likely nothing but somewhat interesting

well, if some hot chick tweeted that you would look good in green and white and some 300 lbs dude w/ a goatee wearing a DG jersey and yellow and blue winged construction helmet tweeted that you would look good in those colors, which one would you retweet?

Last edited:
Trevon Bluien was supposed to commit to Xavier last week, but did not, apparently he changed his mind and now we may lead for him, Tom Izzo got the last in home visit and it had a big effect. Would be a nice addition.

Trevon Bluien was supposed to commit to Xavier last week, but did not, apparently he changed his mind and now we may lead for him, Tom Izzo got the last in home visit and it had a big effect. Would be a nice addition.

what do we do with Bluiett if Looney commits? tell him to take a hike? ask him to wait and see if s scholarship opens up?

Last edited:
of the guys committing tomorrow, I think the best chance we have is Looney, I think Blackmon and booker are long gone. the looney recruitment has been as quiet as any, even the writers for the Duke rivals board have no clue. anyone who says they know where he's going is most likely full of it.

bluiett momentum is shifting to MSU, we should find out this week

We have room for 4 or 5 guys in this class.

Eventually. Maybe. right? As of now, we have 1 open scholarship available. The Harris and Dawson scholarships can't be offered until those guys announce they are leaving. Is that not correct? So if Looney miraculously picks MSU tomorrow, where does that leave us w/ Blueitt who says he's announcing next week?

Last edited:
Back