Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

Not a big deal if Crouch leaves, I am sure we can find anyone that can make a tackle 8 yards past the LOS.

Crouch was really good as the season went on, but apparently he has attitude problems. Still, he's got a ton of talent and speed and if he transferred again he'd have to sit a year. I'm hearing both Windom and Brule can rush the passer, Brule led the nation in QB hurries a year ago. So either could be a stand up DE on pass rushing downs.

Brule had a step back season this year, but he's been considered a day 2 NFL draft pick for a couple years. Windom is a monster, he's got speed and will get drafted too. With Brule, Windom, and Haladay, we've got 3 really good ones. If Crouch is around, we've got 4 dudes for 2 spots at LB, the kind of depth we need. And Ma'a will be in the rotation more and more.

Depth is what did us in this season in the end, we had too many guys banged up and the quality of their backups was lacking. This gives us another spot with really good, championship level depth, to go with DT. Adding a DE and a DB as a transfer is important.

Jared Horst apparently had some mental health issues he was dealing with and left the team after the Michigan game to go back to Wisconsin. He's reportedly back practicing with the team, his return is a key for the OL next season.

Also, 2022 5 star OT, Kiyaunta Goodwin arrives for his last official visit this weekend today, he's staying through Sunday. He's a soft Kentucky commit, but UK doesn't think he'll land there. He wants to start as a true freshman, that's one of his most important factors. It's down to Alabama vs MSU with TAMU being a dark horse. He's supposed to be deciding Wednesday, this is his 3rd or 4th visit to Michigan State. He's paid his own way the previous few.

Also, 2022 5 star OT, Kiyaunta Goodwin arrives for his last official visit this weekend today, he's staying through Sunday. He's a soft Kentucky commit, but UK doesn't think he'll land there. He wants to start as a true freshman, that's one of his most important factors. It's down to Alabama vs MSU with TAMU being a dark horse. He's supposed to be deciding Wednesday, this is his 3rd or 4th visit to Michigan State. He's paid his own way the previous few.

I stopped reading at 5 star.

I remember Crouch making a couple plays here and there this season but he was not really good - he was pretty average at best. And if this coaching staff thinks LB was a bigger problem than d-back, we're likely to learn sooner rather than later that $95mm contract was premature. I'm not saying the LB squad was great but we weren't dead last in pass defense because of them. They were pretty lousy in pass coverage too but they wren't the reason literally everyone blew the top off our defense.

I'm also not sure why horst is key for the OL next season, he probably had more holds and personal fouls than the next 2 most penalized lineman combined this year. I hope he gets whatever mental health issues sorted out - that's more important than football, obviously but I don't think we'll be much worse off if he doesn't come back.

Last edited:
I remember Crouch making a couple plays here and there this season but he was not really good - he was pretty average at best. And if this coaching staff thinks LB was a bigger problem than d-back, we're likely to learn sooner rather than later that $95mm contract was premature. I'm not saying the LB squad was great but we weren't dead last in pass defense because of them. They were pretty lousy in pass coverage too but they wren't the reason literally everyone blew the top off our defense.

I'm also not sure why horst is key for the OL next season, he probably had more holds and personal fouls than the next 2 most penalized lineman combined this year. I hope he gets whatever mental health issues sorted out - that's more important than football, obviously but I don't think we'll be much worse off if he doesn't come back.

Crouch got better as the season went on, he was out leading tackler in the last couple games before he got hurt and was really starting to become an enforcer in the middle. Adding 2 LBs though tells me the staff didn't think he was getting it done.

Also, I know everyone loves Cal Haladay, but he was a little overrated IMO. He's more consistent, but has some physical limitations, I think he's best in a support role as a depth piece.

The staff 100% will be adding a DB or 2 from the portal. When Williams was healthy he was decent. Kimbrough to me was the worst DB. And our safeties were bad in coverage, as much of a fan favorite as Grose is, I think an upgrade is needed. Lowry showed potential when healthy, and I think Brantley is going to be a plus player in 2022. I also think 1 of the freshman will could start in 2022, Caleb Coley would be my pick, we legit had to fend off Georgia and Clemson for him. He'll be picking MSU tomorrow. I'd hope 1 or more of the freshman safeties gets on the field too. Perhaps Spencer or Tatum at Nickel.

Interesting enough, Xavier Henderson didn't participate in senior day activities, and he's still undecided on going pro or returning, he would help if he came back, although he is also not great in coverage.

To me, the DBs have enough talent, they just don't know the system yet, it was obvious to me they were reacting slowly and getting lost in space too often. The 4-2-5 is being used all across the country, the scheme can work and our DC has had it work well for him.

DE is a position of need, Bogle from Flordia was thought to be locked up from the portal, but Kentucky made a late push, we'll find out soon though, he'd be an instant starter. I'd want to add 2 DEs. Tank Brown, Fletcher, and Pietrowski are not a good enough DE rotation to have a decent defense. I do think you'll see one of Windom or Brule lined up as a stand up DE on a lot of 3rd downs, Brule actually led the NCAA in QB pressures in 2020.

DT is flat out loaded. At least we've got that going for us.

I agree that I don't think the db's are quite as bad the numbers showed. I truly believe it was more of a scheme/coaching issue. If there isn't a shake up with the defensive coaches I'll be worried. At a minimum Barnett should go.

I agree that I don't think the db's are quite as bad the numbers showed. I truly believe it was more of a scheme/coaching issue. If there isn't a shake up with the defensive coaches I'll be worried. At a minimum Barnett should go.

The CB coach, Travaris Tillman, was already shown the door. Barnett has a proven track record and Tucker was starting to be more hands on with the DBs.

I like Haladay as sort of an anti-Chris Frey - physical limitations and in a bit over his head in the B1G like frey but has a solid football IQ and doesn't do stupid shit. But that's about it for him - he's probably not the answer but at least he's better than Van Sumerin.

I agree and have said a few times I think Barnett should go but it's not his fault that a corner sitting 15yds off the line of scrimmage literally stands still and waits until a receiver runs RIGHT passed him before moving his feet. We gave up SOOO many wide open deep balls, it was absurd. Certainly part of it is coaching especially when it continues to happen week in and week out, but anyone watching could see there was more than enough player error. Plenty of blame to go around.

I think Lowry, Brantley and Grose have untapped upside and Snow shows some promise at safety. It's on the coaches to get that out of them, which at present doesn't seem too likely. I'd be fine if none of the others ever saw the field again. Kimbrough and Williams would be addition by subtraction in my view, like Kent Benson was for the Pistons.

Last edited:
3 star CB Shannon Blair has decommitted from MSU. Tore his ACL before the season. Not sure he was a take, not sure how this was handled, but I hope we did the kid right.

So, Kentucky just offered a 3 star 2022 OT committed to Cal. Holy crap, this just might happen.

Apparently Kentucky is out and Goodwin told them last night. TAMU doesn't think they're getting him, but he didn't tell them they are out yet. He has not told MSU he is picking us yet.

So, as of now, I think it's 79% MSU. 20% TAMU 0% UK, 1% a giant meteor hits the earth tonight and none of this matters.

Last edited:
In negative developments, 4 star WR Armani infield, once thought to be a silent commit to MSU is almost assuredly picking Baylor tomorrow. He was a luxury get, but would have been a great one.

The CB coach, Travaris Tillman, was already shown the door. Barnett has a proven track record and Tucker was starting to be more hands on with the DBs.

His only "proven track record" came with Narduzzi. Hasn't had much success without him.

I felt pretty good about the chances of landing Goodwin this week until Johnny started hearing things. Now I'm putting it at 0%

Back