Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NFC Championship Playoff Game: Lions @ 49ers Thread

PFF Grades this week

(excluding low number of snaps)

Top 5 Overall
Sewell 92.2
Montgomery 81.3
Ragnow 78.9
Branch 77
LaPorta 75.3

Bottom 5 Overall
CJGJ 33.9
Sutton 36.1
Cominsky 44.4
R Okwara 44.4
Paschal 45.9

Other notables
Goff 73.3
Amon-Ra 73
Jamo 72.5
McNeill 71.6
Thor 71.5
Glasgow 70.3
Decker 69
Hutch 53.7
Gibbs 53.2
Awosika 53.2
Reynolds 51.6
Campbell 49.9

Sadly a week later I’m still not over that second half debacle.

We know how hard it is to get back there (Campbell said it himself too) and how close the Lions actually were. About as close to a Super Bowl as you can get.

I'm excited for this team in 2024 still and for what Holmes does in free agency and the draft. Impressed to all the players who stepped up for the Lions and impressed by the coaching staff how the Lions did it despite major CB1/CB2 and 2nd consistent EDGE pass rusher problems. Plus kicker shaky and interior Oline injuries.

But yeah starting from scratch like 30 other teams right now. Campbell will keep them playing hard and as a group no doubt but always roster turnover and different injury roulette every year (Hutch, Sewell, St Brown (1 game), La Porta (very end) and Goff were mostly spared)

It’s rather peculiar that the Chiefs have been to 6 consecutive AFC championship games. And that the Patriots were the perennial SB champions for so long. And yet Campbell says “it’s hard to get here.”

I suppose that is the case for some teams, more than others.

It’s rather peculiar that the Chiefs have been to 6 consecutive AFC championship games. And that the Patriots were the perennial SB champions for so long. And yet Campbell says “it’s hard to get here.”

You’re not wrong.

If your quarterback ain’t named Mahomes nor Brady, it’s harder than if your quarterback is named Mahomes or Brady.

They built a good team for sustained success and will continue building

But it's still tough to get back to NFC Champ game

See Baltimore, 2 time MVP QB, good defense many years, good run game and they can't make it most years. Was 11 seasons in between for them

Packers 5 Conf Championships in 11 years from 2010 season to 2021 season with Rodgers prime. Now 5 in 13 with 2 years missing but close with Love year 1. But only 1 Super Bowl win when they had 2nd ranked defense and played the Bears with Cutler getting hurt in NFC Champ game.

49ers a bunch of conf championship teams with this current regime but no Super Bowl wins yet (pending Sunday). 4 out of 5 for 49ers under Shanahan. 5 years missed playoffs. And 3 in a row from 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons with Harbaugh. Then gap before that going back to 1997 Conf champ loss

Just an FYI.....Goff isn't Mahomes or Brady. But this team is built for success now and set up well for the future. If we add pieces to our defense this off season we could be the #1 seed next year. Others will get better......others will get worse.

The Lions have a projected $61M+ of cap space going in to next year.

SF......... $1M
PHI...... $20M
GB....... -$7M

Just to name a few. The Lions have YOUNG talent. Cap space. Draft capital and a GM and coach that seem to know how to use it.

Just an FYI.....Goff isn't Mahomes or Brady. But this team is built for success now and set up well for the future. If we add pieces to our defense this off season we could be the #1 seed next year. Others will get better......others will get worse.

The Lions have a projected $61M+ of cap space going in to next year.

SF......... $1M
PHI...... $20M
GB....... -$7M

Just to name a few. The Lions have YOUNG talent. Cap space. Draft capital and a GM and coach that seem to know how to use it.

Which all kind of begs my question as to why Campbell thinks it's not completely possible for the Lions to return to the NFC championship while he's their coach.

Which all kind of begs my question as to why Campbell thinks it's not completely possible for the Lions to return to the NFC championship while he's their coach.

He said it was hard. He also said he thinks the Lions can do it. Holmes knows they can.

Start from scratch though new season but with a great team with good coaches

Can we face the 49ers every year in the NFC Champ game sure. The key will be beating the Bucs, Rams, Packers, Dallas, Eagles of the world and taking care of business in the regular season against everyone.

C’mon…..think about it. Why WOULDN’T he tell them that? It’s true. He’s not saying it won’t happen, but he wants his team to know that need to CONTINUE to put in all the work just like they have the last 2-3 years. At least plant the seed. Don’t be satisfied. Nothing is given.

It’s all coach speak, but it’s very true.

What do you want him to say? “It’ll be way easier next year, guys….go get some rest….see you in July”!

lol.

Ragnow contemplating retirement. Really hope he doesn't team needs him a C, he's the damn glue that brings it all together. Imperative they don't start losing players on the O-Line.

Ragnow contemplating retirement. Really hope he doesn't team needs him a C, he's the damn glue that brings it all together. Imperative they don't start losing players on the O-Line.

Hopefully getting super close to the Super Bowl and how awesome coaches and teamare helps sway him back. But injuries and wanting family time important too. 6 seasons so far for Ragnow. Would be a real shame

Glasgow, Jackson, Vaitai all FAs. I bet they re-sign Glasgow

Patricia era times he would be long gone

But I'm sure they'll need a decision pre-draft so they know how to handle Day 1 and day 2.

Hopefully getting super close to the Super Bowl and how awesome coaches and teamare helps sway him back. But injuries and wanting family time important too. 6 seasons so far for Ragnow. Would be a real shame

Glasgow, Jackson, Vaitai all FAs. I bet they re-sign Glasgow

Patricia era times he would be long gone

But I'm sure they'll need a decision pre-draft so they know how to handle Day 1 and day 2.

They surived nearly the entire year without Vaitai so I say we can afford to lose him, really hope we don't lose Jackson either.

That's a really good read if you have 5 minutes.

I agree with everything he says.

The disappointment will linger for a while....for fans too....but DC and the team are already turning their focus to 2024. I don't believe Campbell will allow them to get their heads too big for any game/situation.

Ok … I’m not choked up at all.

C’mon…..think about it. Why WOULDN’T he tell them that? It’s true. He’s not saying it won’t happen, but he wants his team to know that need to CONTINUE to put in all the work just like they have the last 2-3 years. At least plant the seed. Don’t be satisfied. Nothing is given.

It’s all coach speak, but it’s very true.

What do you want him to say? “It’ll be way easier next year, guys….go get some rest….see you in July”!

lol.

We have been especially patient and forbearing as fans to have waited this long for the ONE LEGITIMATE SHOT this franchise has ever had to appear in a Super Bowl. (I’ll contend that 1970 was almost a legit shot, but the Lions didn’t score in that first-round loss to Dallas, and it wasn’t the NFC Championship Game).

So when Campbell says “we don’t know if we’ll get back here” that’s stating the obvious. Not pertinent to the goal of “getting back there.”

What do I want him to say? I wouldn’t presume.

Back