Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

not happy with presser

hungry

Can't put my finger on any one thing, but the presser just didn't do it for me. Seems like Hoke wants to defend what the OC did on saturday and I just don't see that. I wanted to hear him answer why he didn't play 'manball' on saturday and he kept saying things like they called the right plays, but the players didn't execute...no, just no...

Hoke is a standup guy and realizes a leader takes the heat for his staff, even if he thinks they made the worst fucking play call in the history of fucking bad play calls. The buck stops with him. I respect him for that. Would you rather he throw Gorgeous Borges under the bus??

wellmanadam said:
Hoke is a standup guy and realizes a leader takes the heat for his staff, even if he thinks they made the worst fucking play call in the history of fucking bad play calls. The buck stops with him. I respect him for that. Would you rather he throw Gorgeous Borges under the bus??

I agree with this. I think Hoke shares as little with the media as he can. And I think he's not the type to criticize a player or person in public. Every sentence starts with "we".

Hoke, took the bulk of the blame on himself.

After that no more questions should be asked. Cant help it that the majority of reporters in that room suck ass, and ask stupid questions

Hoke has his opinion about that play and he expressed it. If it's not to the liking of some of the posters, oh well. I thought he also addressed the questions on MSUs after-the-play antics very well.

When you have to lower yourself to the quality of journalism in the room, which is of the lowest denominator possible, you are destined to get responses like his.

I've said this before - that 4th down call IMO was a bad, unsafe, call but what people are forgetting is that if it worked people would think it was the best call ever. People only disagree with it because it didn't work and it wasn't safe. I'm sure people would be complaining if they tried a power play right up the middle and it didn't work.

What if Desmond hadn't caught that 4th and 1 against ND? Fact is he did and it's looked at as one of the best plays in recent Michigan history. If it hadn't worked people would have been screaming about it, just like they are this call.

wellmanadam said:

Well, he has a choice. He can throw himself and Borges under the bus or he can throw the players under the bus with the ol 'not executing' line. Looks to me like he's choosing the players. All he said about the coaches is that they didn't prepare them to be tough enough...which to me falls back on the players.

Yes. I want him to throw Gorgeous Borges under the bus. The 4th and 1 inch call was beyond stupid and so were a lot of O calls all day.

This is manball. Run the football. If they stack the box, then run it into the stack. 5.2 yards/carry...10 carries...

smayschmouthfootball said:
Hoke has his opinion about that play and he expressed it. If it's not to the liking of some of the posters, oh well. I thought he also addressed the questions on MSUs after-the-play antics very well.

When you have to lower yourself to the quality of journalism in the room, which is of the lowest denominator possible, you are destined to get responses like his.

I think he handled the parts about MSU's play quite well.

no coach should ever air grievances like that publicly. No player should either. All it does is destroy the team unity, and give the press an angle to keep working on at conferences.

Be a man and deal with it face-to-face, but present a unified front publicly.

Hoke did the right thing.

When RR would call out players, Carr, other coaches, etc. he was just revealing his own weakness and inability to deal with the situation. If Hoke called out Borges publicly, that would send the same message as far as I'm concerned.

Hungry said:
Can't put my finger on any one thing, but the presser just didn't do it for me. Seems like Hoke wants to defend what the OC did on saturday and I just don't see that. I wanted to hear him answer why he didn't play 'manball' on saturday and he kept saying things like they called the right plays, but the players didn't execute...no, just no...
I agree with you, i was so angry, and it doesn't take a genius of an OC, to just go after the 1st down at the 10 on 4th and an inch, get the first down and then you got 4 more plays to put the ball in the end zone and tie the score, could have and would have been a different ball game.. The Play they called was a high percentage call at the time, and with the wind, no way would i have called for a pass there on fourth down, Just a Stupid Call...

Shouldn't they have at least called a timeout and asked for a measurement, cause it looks like he got the first down on the catch and the time out would have given more time for the coaching staff to come up with a better play had the measurement still come up short.

MichChamp02 said:
no coach should ever air grievances like that publicly. No player should either. All it does is destroy the team unity, and give the press an angle to keep working on at conferences.

When RR would call out players, Carr, other coaches, etc. he was just revealing his own weakness and inability to deal with the situation. If Hoke called out Borges publicly, that would send the same message as far as I'm concerned.

Hoke called out the players in the press conference instead of the coaches, so I guess what you are really saying is that calling out the players in public is ok, but don't air grievances against asst coaches in public...ok, got it.

He could have done it tactfully. Instead, he just put the blame on the players saying they didn't execute and needed to be tougher, which might be true, but in your own words, shouldn't be said in the media.

hdrider784 said:
Hungry said:
I agree with you, i was so angry, and it doesn't take a genius of an OC, to just go after the 1st down at the 10 on 4th and an inch, get the first down and then you got 4 more plays to put the ball in the end zone and tie the score, could have and would have been a different ball game.. The Play they called was a high percentage call at the time, and with the wind, no way would i have called for a pass there on fourth down, Just a Stupid Call...
]

This IS Michigan. Its what he says every single time he gets a mic in front of him. 4th and 1 inch from the 8, Michigan runs the ball 5 times and scores a TD. Michigan does not call a play action pass with a QB that has been having trouble throwing the ball all day and have him throw into a 50 mph wind. There is a tactful way of saying that maybe some other play might've worked better there. Even IF it works, its the wrong call and we just think we got really, really lucky. Remember, there are so many things that can go wrong with throwing the football. Even if he doesn't get sacked for an 8 yard loss, I would've been shocked if they actually completed the pass.

easye688 said:
Shouldn't they have at least called a timeout and asked for a measurement, cause it looks like he got the first down on the catch and the time out would have given more time for the coaching staff to come up with a better play had the measurement still come up short.

Well, I am not a fan of challenging a play due to the spot. Those challenges just seem to never work. To me, it looked like a bad spot, but there is no guarantee of a challenge succeeding there and you lose a valuable time-out. Now in college, a time-out is of less value since when on O, the clock stops on first downs, but they are still valuable.

Hungry said:
easye688 said:

Well, I am not a fan of challenging a play due to the spot. Those challenges just seem to never work. To me, it looked like a bad spot, but there is no guarantee of a challenge succeeding there and you lose a valuable time-out. Now in college, a time-out is of less value since when on O, the clock stops on first downs, but they are still valuable.

He said they should have asked for a measurement, not challenge it.

Can you dig up the quote you're talking about real quick?

DR said:
Hungry said:

He said they should have asked for a measurement, not challenge it.

Can you dig up the quote you're talking about real quick?

Well, I don't think a measurement would've given them the first down given where they spotted the ball. Now they still would've had time to figure out a play, but i think they had ample time to figure out a play, that they just picked out the wrong one. In fact, if anything, the less time there, the better...line-up and plunge over the left side of the line...no need to even call in a play or think about it.

MichChamp02 said:

After a loss, the best thing to do is take the blame yourself (whether you really feel that way or not). Hoke, blame himself; the players, blame themselves; Borges, blame himself.

After a win you give credit to everyone else. Hoke, praise the players and assistants; the players, praise the coaches and other players; Borges, praise the players and head coach.

Then you get in the locker room, film room and practice field and work on the problems.

Back