Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

O.T.....Parenting advice

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
Jever4321 said:
Have you tried a good old fashioned book burning?

Maybe Farenheit 451 would cover that...

...but...

...it's just a little bit higher reading level...

http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/book/fahrenheit-451

scholastically and socially....

Maybe wait a few years, when she's beginning to understand concepts like autocracy and totalitarianism....

tell her if she doesn't stop reading inane Harry Potter books, and start learning history, political science, and economics we will descend into fascism.

if she doesn't listen, dress up like a Nazi and burn all her Harry Potter books in a rally in the backyard.

Might want to give your neighbors a heads-up so they don't get the wrong idea.

If I had a 3rd grader reading Harry Potter, I'd throw The Hobbit at her...see if it sticks.

I am a third grade teacher, and I agree with most of the replies here that reading shouldn't be given as a privilege. Encourage her reading, but maybe require that she spend at least a few days per week reading something else other than HP.

This is also an opportunity for you to step up as a parent and work with your daughter on her other subjects. This might be something you haven't done in the past because she hasn't needed your guidance. Use this opportunity to help your child to rejuvenate her interest in math, social studies, science, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

"Child labor laws are ruining this country."

BWAJHAAHAHAHA!!!

I've been wondering if you could sort of teach algebra to younger kids using a balance to maintain equality and paper bags to represent variables. Adding blocks or taking away blocks from both sides of the scale to figure out how many blocks are in the bag.

MichChamp02 said:
"Child labor laws are ruining this country."

BWAJHAAHAHAHA!!!

dude, we should totally mirror China. They're so successful.

Red and Guilty said:
I've been wondering if you could sort of teach algebra to younger kids using a balance to maintain equality and paper bags to represent variables. Adding blocks or taking away blocks from both sides of the scale to figure out how many blocks are in the bag.

My little dude, just now 5yrs old, can do math story problems based on football.

"If Michigan has a Touchdown and extra point ...and then gets a field goal, how many points does Michigan have?"

And he'll get it.

The other week at dinner I jokingly asked what Michigan would have if they had 24 and got a Touchdown and he paused a moment ...

"31"

can't explain that one.

Ron Swanson said:
I am a third grade teacher, and I agree with most of the replies here that reading shouldn't be given as a privilege. Encourage her reading, but maybe require that she spend at least a few days per week reading something else other than HP.

This is also an opportunity for you to step up as a parent and work with your daughter on her other subjects. This might be something you haven't done in the past because she hasn't needed your guidance. Use this opportunity to help your child to rejuvenate her interest in math, social studies, science, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. Time to clarify: I'm in charge of the homework, except science, and extremely hands on...I make it fun and I'm more patient than my wife. Currently teaching her fractions and %. I was lambasted for starting her 3rd grade MEAP preparation 2 months before the test.....while teaching her the art of HOW to take timed tests. We supplement every assignment that comes home.

Just seeing her get sloppy lately, making silly mistakes that make me cringe...and her teacher confirmed this at PTC on Wed.

On a funny note, this morning she asked where her book was....when she saw me take it from the hiding spot, she said "So I'm going to have to hide my book from you, so you can't hide it from me?"

As shitty as it is that you have to do it, teaching her how to take a test is one of the best things you can do for her. So much of what we ask kids to show is based on standardized test. Unfortunately.

I hate that standardized testing dictates what they learn and when they learn it. All you're doing is teaching kids how to take tests. Ridiculous.

Back