Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Off/Def Coordinators

swami45

From what I have seen so far tonight, it looks like Bill Lazor(OC) and Teryl Austin(DC) are favorites for the two coordinator jobs.

I encourage you to look up their resumes, yuck!

Averaged about 24 ppg over 3 years with Virginia. The two years before he got there they averaged 16 and 19 ppg and the year after he left 19 ppg. Good enough for Kelly. If he brings some of Kelly's offensive wrinkles with him I'll be happy.

Last edited:
A lot of us, myself included, wanted Stafford to be more like Foles - we hired Foles coach as OC...What the hell more do you want?

A lot of us, myself included, wanted Stafford to be more like Foles - we hired Foles coach as OC...What the hell more do you want?

Come on Cheeno, you know Lions fans can't ever be happy with anything. Most damned if you do, damned if you don't fan base in sports.

And really, who can blame us for pessimism? 50+ years of futility would wear on anyone.

But in this case, I agree with you. Good hire potentially. Nothing is for sure, until it's proven.

Look what Foles did this season. He was amazing and I am sure that Kelly helped but I would think the QB coach would get a lot of the credit. Foles looked amazing. Plus if he doesn't turn out to be great so what? He has to be better than Linehan, right?

If these are the guys they choose, I am excited. Does anyone know if Washburn has been relieved or if he has a chance to stay with the new regime?

Come on Cheeno, you know Lions fans can't ever be happy with anything. Most damned if you do, damned if you don't fan base in sports.

And really, who can blame us for pessimism? 50+ years of futility would wear on anyone.

But in this case, I agree with you. Good hire potentially. Nothing is for sure, until it's proven.

I've been as guilty as anyone, Ink.

Look what Foles did this season. He was amazing and I am sure that Kelly helped but I would think the QB coach would get a lot of the credit. Foles looked amazing. Plus if he doesn't turn out to be great so what? He has to be better than Linehan, right?

If these are the guys they choose, I am excited. Does anyone know if Washburn has been relieved or if he has a chance to stay with the new regime?

We were about to give Whiz the keys to the kingdom and everyone gave him full credit for Rivers. We wanted Frank Reich his quarterback coach as OC. Now we get the guy who got Nick Foles to play at just as high a level and he's useless? I don't see it myself.

I'm with you on Washburn, he's the one guy I hope they do keep. Nothing on him yet.

Aside from LKP, the eternal optimist, we all have brother. That's my point. It ain't easy being a Lions fan... but you gotta admit, it's never boring.

We were about to give Whiz the keys to the kingdom and everyone gave him full credit for Rivers. We wanted Frank Reich his quarterback coach as OC. Now we get the guy who got Nick Foles to play at just as high a level and he's useless? I don't see it myself.

I'm with you on Washburn, he's the one guy I hope they do keep. Nothing on him yet.

Cheeno...youre usually a little more lvl headed than this lol. You actually think some no named guy that coached a couple years at Virginia was the reason FOles had a good season? FIrst off...foles didn't need much fixing...the same things that made him successful this year were his strengths in college. Everythig after that was Kellys system and Kelly himself

Aside from LKP, the eternal optimist, we all have brother. That's my point. It ain't easy being a Lions fan... but you gotta admit, it's never boring.

HAHA...In the same way waterboarding isn't boring.

Cheeno...youre usually a little more lvl headed than this lol. You actually think some no named guy that coached a couple years at Virginia was the reason FOles had a good season? FIrst off...foles didn't need much fixing...the same things that made him successful this year were his strengths in college. Everythig after that was Kellys system and Kelly himself

The Eagles fans seem sorry to see him go. I have no clue how or if he helped Foles but they seem to think he had a hand in it. One thing was for certain Foles wasn't a proven NFL commodity before this year. I could care less if anyone liked the hire but if you (and not you personally Hughes) were on board with bringing in Frank Reich as OC how can this hire be the depths of despair?

Last edited:
I don't have anything bad to say about either, hell they might both turn out to be great coaches. As far as Foles, different type of QB than Stafford who is Favre esk, a gunslinger. He thinks he can make all throws all the time. Not sure the OC can improve on certain things like the accuracy. I just hope he game plans better to limit 4th quarter meltdowns..

Last edited:

Because thats all he's done, right? Coach a couple fucking years at Virginia ...lol. Jesus Christ, dude.

And you give zero credit to the man for Foles success? Of course you do. Cmon, thats completely unfair

Because thats all he's done, right? Coach a couple fucking years at Virginia ...lol. Jesus Christ, dude.

And you give zero credit to the man for Foles success? Of course you do. Cmon, thats completely unfair

im west coast man....ive been watching foles for years. He tore it up in the pac 12. Hes a very skilled qb playing in a very very friendly qb SYSTEM that was chip kellys system. Not this dude lol. This dude didn't call plays, he didn't do much of anything. Again, this wasn't his system...so ANYTHING he taught the qb on how to play in KELLYS SYSTEM...came from direction given from Kelly.

im not sure what this guy has done other that which is printed on him. He was there in seattle when hasselbeck had 4 wins and lost his job. He was there in Washington when Jason cambell and mark brunell lost their jobs and took them to 5 wins. And he left a poor Virginia program to STEP down and become a qb coach. not west Virginia, not Virginia tech...Virginia...

Last edited:
It is difficult at best to accurately predict whether a team will gel and thereby improve. Every elite coach started out not elite and so much has to do with chemistry between personnel. Nearly every time a coach is fired, the belief is the new guys have to be better, right? not true, but you will never know for certain until they work or not.

I get the pessimism, but for now we would all do well to just wait and see.

im west coast man....ive been watching foles for years. He tore it up in the pac 12. Hes a very skilled qb playing in a very very friendly qb SYSTEM that was chip kellys system. Not this dude lol. This dude didn't call plays, he didn't do much of anything. Again, this wasn't his system...so ANYTHING he taught the qb on how to play in KELLYS SYSTEM...came from direction given from Kelly.

im not sure what this guy has done other that which is printed on him. He was there in seattle when hasselbeck had 4 wins and lost his job. He was there in Washington when Jason cambell and mark brunell lost their jobs and took them to 5 wins. And he left a poor Virginia program to STEP down and become a qb coach. not west Virginia, not Virginia tech...Virginia...

To be fair I don't think Kelly himself was available. Kelly hand picked his staff so he must have seen something he liked. Foles no matter how good he was in college was a complete unknown and he turned out better than good this season, before that he was an afterthought or at best a backup with upside. I'm not saying he's some magic qb whisperer, but I'm sure he was brought in to limit Staffs turnovers and charge up the offense, exactly what the Eagles did this year. So even if it probably was all Kelly but we got his hand picked qb guy who learned under him last year. Not bad.

First, since when is going from a college OC to an NFL QB coach a big step down? 2nd, you don't know that "he didn't do much of anything" just like I don't know that he did do something. All I know is that he was Foles' QB coach and Foles put up stats that you were salivating over a few weeks ago. I think it's fair to at least give him a little credit. I'm not saying Lazor is going to be an amazing OC, but giving him no credit for Foles is a little ridiculous.

Back