Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Needs, Likely Moves

tigersofjustice

Wings are set in goal with Howard on a new deal.

In addition, there are 6 defensemen under contract for next year with two others, Kindl and Smith, as RFA who will likely be signed. D squad is Kronwall, Ericsson, Smith, Kindl, Quincey, DeKeyser, Colaiacovo and Lashoff. White is a FA and almost certainly will not be resigned. It would be ideal if the Wings could off load one of Colaiacovo or Quincey but that seems unlikely so the Wings will likely come in with 8 on the roster. Both players deals expire after next season both seem unlikely to be resigned.

The Wings only real moves could come at forward, likely for wingers.

The good: Abdelkader is under contract at 1.8 a year for another three seasons, Zetterberg and Frazen are locked up basically forever, Helm is at 2 mil for another three seasons.

The bad: Samuelsson is still under contract for 3 mil (what were they thinking?), Bertuzzi is still under contract at 2 mil, Tootoo has two more years left at 1.9 mil
Filppula, Cleary, Brunner, and Miller are all free agents
Andersson and Nyquist are both RFA likely to get raises

Ideally if there were any way to ditch Samuelsson or Tootoo the Wings should do it, but I doubt that is possible.

Wings will probably want to resign Brunner, who knows how much he will command though, could definitely be a raise over the 1.3 he made. Miller, Cleary and Filppula could all be goners. Filppula probably depends a lot on the salary someone is willing to offer him, he has consistently under performed his talent level so if somebody will give him a big deal at 4 mil or more he's probably gone. Cleary was horrible this season until the last round of the playoffs and even then he survived on effort and not ability, I think he's gone unless he can be had really cheap. Miller too is probably gone if only because he's blocking others and they can't ditch Sammy or Tootoo.

Wings need snipers and preferably, BIG wingers. This team is too small except Franzen and Franzen plays small too often.

Wings are probably going to have 13-14 mil in cap space without taking into account any UFA.

Big name older guys are there like Iginla, Elias, Alfredsson and the Wings are probably not options for any of them.

Intriguing options for the right price:

Dustin Penner
Nathan Horton
Brenden Morrow
Bryan Bickell
Ryan Clowe

among others. Obviously this group is not ideal, but it at least affords the opportunity for this team to add some grit, size, toughness and a willingness to bang around the goal. My concern is that all of these options might wind up substantially overpaid.

Clearly Cleary will not return. He should go back to Newfoundland and ponder the 30-minute time difference. Sammy, Bert and Too-Too are millstones that prevent some better players to replace them. Wings will plum Russia, Sweden and Latvia for better D-men. Hopefully they find some.

Helm, Nyquist and Brunner is a line that I like. Convert Helm and Brunner to the wings.

Don't forget with the new CBA in place the Wings are afforded two buyouts that wont count against the cap.

Samuelson and Bertuzzi could also be placed on IR pretty easily all season and wouldn't count against the cap.

As far as Tootoo goes the teams in the East tend to carry a lot more goons that the teams in the west so i dont think that ditching him would be a good idea at all. I know he isnt physically big but he plays a lot bigger than his size which i think will be important in the more physical East.

Don't forget with the new CBA in place the Wings are afforded two buyouts that wont count against the cap.

Samuelson and Bertuzzi could also be placed on IR pretty easily all season and wouldn't count against the cap.

As far as Tootoo goes the teams in the East tend to carry a lot more goons that the teams in the west so i dont think that ditching him would be a good idea at all. I know he isnt physically big but he plays a lot bigger than his size which i think will be important in the more physical East.

I don't think the Wings need to change their style of play. I like the idea of them bringing a north-south, puck-possession approach to the Eastern Conference.

Back