Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Polanco out in Philly?

kingofdetroit57

If he's healthy, I'd have no problem if we took on some of his contract to play 2B here next season...

Phillies' Manuel In Favor Of Third Base Upgrade
By Zach Links [October 12 at 10:18pm CST]

In two seasons with the Phillies, third baseman Placido Polanco has struggled to stay healthy and on the field. Despite being named an All-Star for the second time in his career in 2011, manager Charlie Manuel says that he would be in favor of an upgrade at the position, writes MLB.com's Nate Mink.

"If we need to upgrade and we can, we should do it," the skipper said on Wednesday.

Polanco is guaranteed $6.25MM next season, but Mink writes that it shouldn't handcuff the Phillies from exploring other options at third base. Manuel doesn't think that the Phillies need a power bat at the position, but durability will be a major focus for the club this offseason.

Polanco underwent surgery yesterday to repair two sports hernias, which could sideline him for the beginning of the 2012 season. The 36-year-old played in 132 games in 2010 and just 122 this past year.

kingofdetroit57 said:
If he's healthy, I'd have no problem if we took on some of his contract to play 2B here next season...

In two seasons with the Phillies, third baseman Placido Polanco has struggled to stay healthy and on the field. Despite being named an All-Star for the second time in his career in 2011, manager Charlie Manuel says that he would be in favor of an upgrade at the position, writes MLB.com's Nate Mink.

"If we need to upgrade and we can, we should do it," the skipper said on Wednesday.

Polanco is guaranteed $6.25MM next season, but Mink writes that it shouldn't handcuff the Phillies from exploring other options at third base. Manuel doesn't think that the Phillies need a power bat at the position, but durability will be a major focus for the club this offseason.

Polanco underwent surgery yesterday to repair two sports hernias, which could sideline him for the beginning of the 2012 season. The 36-year-old played in 132 games in 2010 and just 122 this past year.

Last three seasons he has played 153,132, and 122 this year... If we can get him ultra cheap I would not mind getting him back. His health has been a problem..

Polanco's sub-.700 ops makes me suggest that he might not be the player he once was.

smayschmouthfootball said:
Polanco's sub-.700 ops makes me suggest that he might not be the player he once was.

Probably.. I am thinking of another utility guy that can play 2b and 3b maybe around 100-125 games between the two..

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]
kingofdetroit57 said:

Last three seasons he has played 153,132, and 122 this year... If we can get him ultra cheap I would not mind getting him back. His health has been a problem..
I'd have to think we could. I could see Philly eating at least 50% of that contract if they want to upgrade (ARam?). Polanco would likely have an easier time staying healthy at 2B and with the regular rest Leyland gives. I'd take a shot on him for a year if the price was decent.

No f'n way. Polanco had a monster April and then sucked balls when he wasn't injured.

I would rather have Inge/Kelly platoon at no additional cost

boy im glad we didnt try to re-sign him. he's like guillen 2.0 at this point, cant stay healthy.

2012 could be the first season in quite some time that the Tigers may have a roster w/o many if any aging and/or high injury risk players on it. Unless, of course, Zumaya returns so I would expect that there is little chance that the team would try to acquire Polanco.

Polanca is not the player he once was, but he still fields well and can easily hit 2nd for this team.. I think he would be an upgrade to what we currently have, and I wouldn't mind him for he right price..

I'm talking 1yr at at least half of his current contract... I'm not talking about long-term or at full price. He'd make a fine 2B next year, IMHO.

I don't like the sound of this. I think Det has enough fill ins, borderliners and running on fumes types to be able to knock down a 2nd baseman that can run, play D, have good OBP and bat top of the line up.

He might be all done. He went to a hitter's park and continued his downward trajectory. It might be best to remember him as he was, rather than see a broken down player struggling to finish the year. Imagine if Magglio and Guillen had left 2 years ago, they'd be heroes instead of punchlines.

JimRice said:
He might be all done. He went to a hitter's park and continued his downward trajectory. It might be best to remember him as he was, rather than see a broken down player struggling to finish the year. Imagine if Magglio and Guillen had left 2 years ago, they'd be heroes instead of punchlines.
It's a little sad that Maggs and Guillen will prob end their careers on the DL. 2 guys as responsible for Det's return to viability as anyone.

There is money coming off for 012, maybe not as much as some think but....If they are going to compete for the next few yrs, there's no sense in going cheap or taking risks on questionable players. 2nd is a little diff than 3rd where at least Nick C is being groomed. I don't know of anyone waiting in the wings to take over 2nd in a yr or 2?

Polly's on the decline. Not the defender he once was, either. I think we need to get a little bit younger in the offseason and that for sure is not Polly...

Seriously, all the complaining about how this team was old at several positions and people want Mr. PotatoHead back?

Hell let's go after Pudge as backup catcher, or Todd Jones to help out the bullpen.

Losing Guillen and Maggs shaves a lot of AARP off this team, and hopefully they take Inge with them.

We need someone who can help the team go forward, not re-treads.

MI_Thumb said:
Seriously, all the complaining about how this team was old at several positions and people want Mr. PotatoHead back?

Hell let's go after Pudge as backup catcher, or Todd Jones to help out the bullpen.

Losing Guillen and Maggs shaves a lot of AARP off this team, and hopefully they take Inge with them.

We need someone who can help the team go forward, not re-treads.

Yeah I take back what i said.... I want to get younger.... Plus if I don't want a often injured Reyes there is no way i want a Injured Polonco.

The Tigers have been fortunate the last few yrs trying to grind out production from aging, oft injured guys. Time to get some youth and speed on this club.

I agree with the thinking, but the fact of the matter is that the 2B/3B free agent market stinks and there aren't many guys out there to trade for either. I think Polanco could make a lot of sense as a cheap known commodity who is a place holder for a year. The biggest FAs that make any sense for us are going to be Reyes, Rollins, Beltran, Wilson, and if he opts out Sabathia. We aren't making a run at Pujols or Fielder. We're gonna get better via trade or getting a shortstop and shuffling Peralta over to 2B/3B.

Back