Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Possible new extra inning rule

But this situation might be different. They wouldn't be started Victor at 2B in the 10th. They'd have a speed replacement..

Agreed, those stats were all on however the game unfolded. Some your fastest guy some your slowest guy.

But this situation might be different. They wouldn't be started Victor at 2B in the 10th. They'd have a speed replacement..

Well the only thing that makes sense is the schedule of lead off hitter would be given second base.

Obviously you could pinch run for him, but you can pinch run for anyone Who gets on base at any time already anyway.

Well the only thing that makes sense is the schedule of lead off hitter would be given second base.

Obviously you could pinch run for him, but you can pinch run for anyone Who gets on base at any time already anyway.

Since this is all hypothetical anyway I suspect they could select a bench guy rather than the starter. But in your scenario do they lose an at bat if the lead off guy gets placed on second or do you give him a double?

Didn't read through the posts, but I wasn't aware that games that go into extra innings going extra long was suddenly an issue. If not moreso than in the past I'd say leave well enough alone.

I don't like when overtime formats in any sport deviate from the format of the rest of the game. I hate college football OT for the same reason and think they should play it more like the NFL.

And given how stats driven baseball is what does that do to stats like RBI's and runs scored?

Since this is all hypothetical anyway I suspect they could select a bench guy rather than the starter. But in your scenario do they lose an at bat if the lead off guy gets placed on second or do you give him a double?

I'd say just like any pinch runner. The player run for is out of the game. The pinch runner assumes the batting spot and field position until replaced of the player he runs for - obviously, he can play a different position in the field either by a position swap, or another replacement in the fielding position of the player who was run for.

Anyone taken out of the game is out of the game, just like it is now.

I'd say just like any pinch runner. The player run for is out of the game. The pinch runner assumes the batting spot and field position until replaced of the player he runs for - obviously, he can play a different position in the field either by a position swap, or another replacement in the fielding position of the player who was run for.

Anyone taken out of the game is out of the game, just like it is now.

But what I'm saying is they could start a bench guy on 2nd, Victor still gets to bat. Or If Victor gets placed on second does it count as a double or nothing. The later would be a wasted at bat and possibly have an effect on a batting average title for example. Need 502 PA to get it but one less at bat..

Last edited:
But what I'm saying is they could start a bench guy on 2nd, Victor still gets to bat. Or If Victor gets placed on second does it count as a double or nothing. The later would be a wasted at bat and possibly have an effect on a batting average title for example. Need 502 PA to get it but one less at bat..

If Victor is the lead off hitter, he goes to 2nd base. If run for, he's out of the game, just the way it is with any pinch runner or pinch hitter situation.

It wouldn't be a double - it would be it's own new category - more like a walk and being given an additional base - so more like nothing, just as a walk is nothing.

If a player is being given an intentional walk, is he gonna swing at a pitch way out of the strike zone just to get to 502 PA for the batting title?

Of course not.

Players in the batting title race get walked all the time - this would be the same thing.

I guess a team could have the option of the lead off hitter not taking second base and just taking the at bat, but what team would do that?

If Victor is the lead off hitter, he goes to 2nd base. If run for, he's out of the game, just the way it is with any pinch runner or pinch hitter situation.

It wouldn't be a double - it would be it's own new category - more like a walk and being given an additional base - so more like nothing, just as a walk is nothing.

If a player is being given an intentional walk, is he gonna swing at a pitch way out of the strike zone just to get to 502 PA for the batting title?

Of course not.

Players in the batting title race get walked all the time - this would be the same thing.

I guess a team could have the option of the lead off hitter not taking second base and just taking the at bat, but what team would do that?

But hypothetically we don't know that. They could give him a double . But they could just start a bench guy at 2nd, which imo would be more fair. No one pays to see Miggy being placed on 2nd base. They want him to hit.

But hypothetically we don't know that. They could give him a double . But they could just start a bench guy at 2nd, which imo would be more fair. No one pays to see Miggy being placed on 2nd base. They want him to hit.

Either way.

The player being run for doesn't get a PA either way.

I'm not saying Miggy would get run for. It's dumb either way which is why I believe Manfred figured out soon after he came up with this stupid idea.

Manfred didn't come up with the idea.

It's been being used in kids' leagues for years.

Mom's gotta get dinner on the table, so the game has to get finished.

I would prefer they figure out how to get regulation games back under the 3 hour mark vs trying to tinker with the extra innings format.

Manfred didn't come up with the idea.

It's been being used in kids' leagues for years.

Mom's gotta get dinner on the table, so the game has to get finished.

You got jokes. Btw, it was never used when I played little league. Of course if it had and I got placed on 2nd instead of hitting I'd be mad.

I would prefer they figure out how to get regulation games back under the 3 hour mark vs trying to tinker with the extra innings format.

I think that's what there idea was.. that this would shorten games. I don't mind long games because baseball is awesome. But if they really want to shorten games quit taking so long between innings. But probably less money for them.

I think that's what there idea was.. that this would shorten games. I don't mind long games because baseball is awesome. But if they really want to shorten games quit taking so long between innings. But probably less money for them.

It's not about shortening games per se.

It's about shortening extra inning games; especially the few marathon games.

I posted before - the rule makes sense if it's used in games longer than 12 innings, not all extra inning games.

It's not about shortening games per se.

It's about shortening extra inning games; especially the few marathon games.

I posted before - the rule makes sense if it's used in games longer than 12 innings, not all extra inning games.

That's where we differ. I think it's a gimmick and a bad gimmick at that. I don't want my favorite players placed on second base and some of my favorite games have gone past 12 innings. I just don't want to see guy placed on 2nd, sac bunt- sac fly. That's no fun.

Average time between Innings now, more than 3 minutes. Change it to one minute and you save much time.

That's where we differ. I think it's a gimmick and a bad gimmick at that. I don't want my favorite players placed on second base and some of my favorite games have gone past 12 innings. I just don't want to see guy placed on 2nd, sac bunt- sac fly. That's no fun.

Average time between Innings now, more than 3 minutes. Change it to one minute and you save much time.

baseball is a business and the 3 minutes between innings is where they make the bulk of their money. That simply isn't going to happen.

baseball is a business and the 3 minutes between innings is where they make the bulk of their money. That simply isn't going to happen.

I know that but if they'll set on making the game go quicker.. No other way to do it..

I know that but if they'll set on making the game go quicker.. No other way to do it..

The breaks between innings are not the problem. It is the lack of action during play. Batters step out of the box way too much. Too many visits to the mound. Too many pitching changes. Too many throws over to 1B. Pitchers taking too much time between pitches. These are the types of things that really slow the game down.

They should implement the pitchers clock. They should be very strict about batters calling timeout and stepping out of the box. They should give teams timeouts to use for visits to the mound and set a limit per game. It's hard to come up with fixes to the number of pitching changes per game and throws over to 1B. I'd be in favor of setting a minimum batters faced in an inning type of thing for relievers but that is kind of drastic. Hell, I'd even be in favor of a "runners box" at 1B that the base runner has to stay in until the pitcher makes his move towards the mound.

All that said, I still love watching baseball (the Tigers) more than any other sport.

They should give teams timeouts to use for visits to the mound and set a limit per game.

Hey this gives me an idea and my idea is genius.
They should set a limit on trips to the mound for each pitcher in an inning.

On the second trip to the mound for any pitcher in the same inning, that pitcher has to be replaced.

If they made that a rule that would speed up the game substantially.

Back