Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Practice Notes

Higdon had three 40+ yard TD runs in 72 carries, Evans had one in 88 carries. Higdon is about 0.2 seconds faster than Evans in the 40.

Also, You should be ashamed as a Michigan fan to wish for Elliott, and even more ashamed as a football fan for comparing him and Evans.

In short, you suck.

Most of your facts in this post are way off. Dunno if you're trying to insinuate that higdon is a better athlete or close to Chris's athleticism? But it's not true. For one Chris had two games where his longest run was 43 yards in one and 57 in another. So the 40+ yard stat of only one run cannot be true. ( just seen you put 40 yard touchdown carries though not sure what's the difference whether it ended in a score or not.) Also in the spring combine that Michigan had for their players Chris was number one in every category for the running backs/fullbacks except for the powerball throw. (Which includes the 40 yard dash.)

Last edited:
Most of your facts in this post are way off. Dunno if you're trying to insinuate that higdon is a better athlete or close to Chris's athleticism? But it's not true. For one Chris had two games where his longest run was 43 yards in one and 57 in another. So the 40+ yard stat of only one run cannot be true. ( just seen you put 40 yard touchdown carries though not sure what's the difference whether it ended in a score or not.) Also in the spring combine that Michigan had for their players Chris was number one in every category for the running backs/fullbacks except for the powerball throw. (Which includes the 40 yard dash.)

M&B originally said he wanted a RB with the speed to take it to the house. I hope you can see how being able to finish off a long run and score is relevant to this conversation.

I've seen a couple reports throughout the summer that listed specific 40 times for the backs and Higdon's was significantly better. Can't remember where.

By the way, how about that slow WR Amara Darboh? Still think last year's freshmen are better? Will be interesting to see if any are better than a 3rd round pick?

Well, since you brought up Rutgers, Evans did get caught from behind on a 57 yard run against them, so....

Plus Evans only topped 56 yards in a game twice. Against Rutgers and Hawaii.

Elliott has a good 20 pounds on Evans and is much faster. This is a low point, even for you.
Of all the things I've said and done, being optimistic about Evans is not one of them.

or maybe OSU had a better O-Line for Elliot than Michigan had for whatever back they had

True, though, Elliot is in the NFL and none of Michigan's recent backs are.

It's probably some combination of better o-line and better RB.

physically, of course, not mentally. No one wants a RB that beats up women.

Whatever it's been, I want it. And I'm hoping we get it one of these days. The right combination has to click some time. And it seems like we're getting a bunch of different types of backs in the program so I'm pretty optimistic about that this year. Especially with a re-tooled O-line. It's pretty telling that none of the 3 senior OL got drafted.

Ok, back to the good stuff...

With every mention of Khaleke Hudson I must reiterate that readers should not expect him to be Jabrill Peppers. Jabrill was the type of rare physical talent that makes predictions of comparable performance unfair to the player being held to his standard. With that out of the way, I also feel the need to reiterate my belief that the drop-off in production at the position won’t be as precipitous as many pundits expect. In the last sub report I focused on his noteworthy performance in pass coverage during camp. Today we’ll focus on how he has fared in the box. That it where he truly shines. “He sets the edge like a SAM,” one practice observer said. Tight ends and even pulling linemen have found the former Keystone State a force to be reckoned with when trying to kick him out. According to another observer Hudson’s ability to deliver blows was on full display when during a blitz, Henry Poggi stood between him and his intended target. This was one time where Poggi, a jackhammer blocker that has dished out his share of punishment, didn’t come out on the winning end of a collision. Hudson came through with such force that he ran through and over his powerful teammate. Before Hudson’s emergence last spring there was talk that Michigan would play the match-up game with the VIPER/SAM positions based on opponent or scenario. While seeing see the SAM more this year remains a reasonable expectation, any notion that Michigan will be hesitant to use Hudson in EVERY scenario is out of touch and not up to date.

Like Hudson, Josh Metellus was one of the revelations of the spring. He emergence at safety as one of the defense’s top playmakers. In fall camp, his limitation of mistakes on the back end has been increased both the calm and optimism in the secondary. An example of Metellus’ steady play occurred in a recent practice when Eddie McDoom came open on a deep dig. A completion appeared imminent, and if the ball had been on target Metellus would have been in position to limit the damage with support over the top. But the ball wasn’t on target. It sailed and went right into Metellus’ arms for the pick. Time will tell whether Michigan’s safety tandem is as good in man coverage as the talented tandem they’re replacing. However, most observers agree that the new duo of Metellus and Tyree Kinnel is already displaying the football I.Q. in camp that their predecessors did last year as seniors.

Elsewhere in the secondary there continues to be movement in the fierce corner competition. Recently it was LaVert Hill and Brandon Watson with the ones with David Long and Keith Washington with the twos. As I said in the last sub report it would be unwise to read that as the definitive hierarchy just yet. Each of four guys has seen his share of time with the first unit. Take it as a sign that the battle rages on.

Another position we still can’t make the call on just yet is right tackle. That comes on the heels of word that Nolan Ulizio was getting run with the ones recently.

At tailback Ty Isaac continues to garner praise in practice. A sign of the increased confidence in his physicality is his usage around the goal line. If practice is any indicator Isaac’s size will be utilized in such scenarios. He has sniffed the end zone fairly well in camp. And like running back cohort Chris Evans, Isaac has also flashed the pass catching ability. (That’s not surprising considering the high opinion many scouts had of his receiver skills coming out of high school). Isaac running with the ones in practice is another positive sign. But as I said regarding other positions, I’d hesitate to look at as a definitive sign of the expected hierarchy. Many fans incorrectly assumed that Chris Evans had lost ground in the race when word of Higdon getting run with the ones came out recently. Don’t make the same premature mistake twice. Just take this to be a positive sign Isaac’s growth.

Another really positive backfield sign has been the fall camp showing of freshman Kurt Taylor. The Peach State product may not be getting rotational looks/carries, but he is acquitting himself well in practice. As I mentioned in a recent messageboard thread, according to one source Taylor is showing "good quickness in and out of holes and vision." He has also shown toughness. In one memorable red zone scenario, he took a handoff at the four and seemed to be destined to be hit for a loss. Instead he shook off the would-be tackler and got three tough yards to advance the ball to one. Harbaugh was so impressed with the effort he had the entire team watch it.
Finally, one of the more impressive aspects of the fall camp performances by the quarterbacks has been their ability to extend plays. Getting flushed from the pocket hasn’t been uncommon… which isn’t a surprise going against Don Brown’s high pressure scheme and all of its weaponry… but both Wilton Speight and John O’Korn have made some of their best plays outside of the pocket in scramble drills.

Well Ill put my 2 cents in and say that we have a couple home run hitters. One of them being Isaac. Give that guy a hole and its off to the races. I really wish we could/can give him or any of our backs that 5yd untouched hole to run through. Maybe running towards Onwenu's side will make a difference

Ill go a little step further than the rest of you in saying that, 40 times are great and all that, but the reason people like Isaac are home run hitters is that they can maintain their top end speed longer than the people chasing them. Jerry Rice ran 4.5 and 4.6 40s. No one was faster in pads when he had the ball in his hands and no one on the field could maintain their speed to catch him(even Deion Sanders). Ty Wheatley in college, the same. In college Wheatley could out run any 4.3 guy trying to chase him. I wish Isaac had his tackle breaking ability. A back that can break tackles on a regular basis has been missing from this program for years. Mike Hart being the last.

Edit: was writing this before deathroh put this new update in. I still have faith in Isaac.

Last edited:
I have a 247 account, so here's what they posted today:

Defensive line

Michigan's first unit is and has been set since fall camp started. Gary - Hurst - Mone - Winovich should be one of the best first units in the entire country this year, with Winovich's continued development as a plus pass-rusher adding to his arsenal of abilities in a spot he's still technically learning about.

The top four subs as of now appear to be the following: Kemp - Dwumfour - Solomon - Vilain, as Luiji has been practicing primarily at the WDE spot. Donovan Jeter and Kwity Paye are also impressing as freshmen, and Lawrence Marshall has started to see the light come on as of late as well. Again, this is another unit that is going to get better as the year continues and young, inexperienced players see more and more real-time snaps.

Linebacker

Michigan's roster is really similar at almost every position: A good/elite veteran or two surrounded by really, really talented but inexperienced young players. Linebacker is no different, but it may be the position in that vein that I've become most optimistic about the more I learn about fall camp.

Devin Bush Jr. basically plays like a veteran who hasn't played a lot yet, if that makes sense. He's a throwback in style, but modern in athleticism, giving the staff an almost textbook fit at the MIKE spot. In retrospect, it's almost comical to think how easily Bush Jr. will end up outdoing his recruiting ranking provided he stays healthy. The quintessential player that didn't seem like he was ranked properly coming out of high school because of a knock on his overall size.

Khaleke Hudson is pretty much similar at the VIPER spot. For both of these players, the expectation is that they will acclimate themselves to the college game very, very quickly, giving the staff a really intriguing trio with All-American candidate Mike McCray the mainstay.

Michigan's freshman trio of Ross, Singleton and Anthony are on track as well. Ross, the player we labeled as the prototypical "longtime recruiting lock that doesn't get enough pub as a commit" guy, continues to impress in a big way in the middle. Again, when you add 2018 commitment Cameron McGrone to the eventual MIKE mix (if the current plan for McGrone stays on course), Michigan's future in the middle of their defense may quietly be brighter than any other single spot on the roster.

Defensive back

The most likely starting four as of today in the defensive backfield shouldn't be a huge surprise: Long - Kinnel - Metellus - Hill.

Of the four spots, it still appears that Hill's is the one that's most up for grabs, with Keith Washington and Ambry Thomas among those pushing hardest. We believe Thomas will definitely see the field in some capacity this year, possibly in nickel spots and some spot duty on the outside. Jim Harbaugh's affinity for Thomas is duly noted behind the scenes too, as two sources mentioned Thomas as someone the staff is especially excited about. This is after Harbaugh told reporters in his last availability that the Detroit (MI) King star is someone really standing out in fall camp.

Both Kinnel and Metellus are really important players this year. Jordan Glasgow has been taking more and more snaps from the safety spot for some added depth back there. Glasgow and J'Marick Woods are very likely the top two subs at the safety spot as of now.

Special teams

Returner continues to be a revolving door. I've heard at least six different names in the mix there. I still wouldn't be surprised if Donovan Peoples-Jones got legitimate looks in the return game early on in the season.

The kicking spots appear to be Quinn Nordin (no surprise) and true freshman Brad Robbins (not much of a surprise either). Harbaugh mentioned Will Hart pushing Robbins throughout camp but it appears Michigan will have two potential four-year starters entrenched in two important spots.

Agree that 40 times don't mean a whole lot. I was just throwing that in there for fun.

Scout as opposed to some other site. Maybe we should change the title of the thread to "week # practice notes as transcribed from various paysites" so there is no further confusion.

I guess there are rumors of a Mo Hurst injury. Sam Webb saying its nothing serious

Last edited:

The defensive coaching staff didn?t mince words when it came to the clear challenge it issued to LaVert Hill. They wanted to see more from him. More intensity. More durability. More consistency. It has been clear of late that he is responding to that challenge because the former Detroit King corner has been a fixture with the first group. If he stays on the current path, he?s a good bet for first string at one corner. The tougher handicap is on the other side where the musical chairs continues. Rolling with the ones again in Saturday?s practice was Brandon Watson. The battle for that corner spot appears to be much more in question with Watson going head up with David Long and young upstart Ambry Thomas. It?s too tough to call at this point (at least from the outside it is).

I know what you?re thinking? ?you forgot about Keith Washington.? No, I didn?t. This coaching staff has had a deft touch when it comes to moving players into positions where they can be most successful while also helping the team (Khalid Hill, Chase Winovich, Khaleke Hudson, Josh Metellus, etc.). Now comes word of another shuffle that could reap positive dividends. We now hear Washington is getting a look at safety. He is long, has a high football I.Q., and because of the coverage demands Michigan places on its safeties, Washington?s man cover skills would be a major asset and would fortify the ranks. Time will tell if this move sticks, but sounds like it will get a serious look. If it does then it could lessen the load on Jordan Glasgow who has switched from VIPER earlier in camp to help bolster the safety ranks.

To counter that move we hear freshman Jaylen Kelly-Powell has made the move over to corner. As we mentioned in a prior edition of Inside the Sub, defensive backs coach Brian Smith offered high praise for JKP?s cover skills. Kelly-Powell had worked himself into rotational consideration at dime and now is doing the same at nickel. His name hasn?t been called by fans as much as other youngsters, but when the season rolls around don?t be surprised if/when he is one of the freshmen you see on the field.

Now to update news of a position switch with another freshman... Greg Mattison revealed in a sub report earlier this week his favorable view of James Hudson?s potential as an offensive lineman. He broke the news to TMI about the earnest consideration being given to giving the former Toledo Central Catholic star a long tryout at offensive tackle. "Coach Harbaugh always does what a great head coach always is going to do," said Mattison. "Whatever is best for the team, that's what's going to happen. If a young man is not in the two-deep in one place but could be in the two-deep with some reps and that in another place, he's going to go there. That's what you have to do in college. You can't go out and buy a guy like you can in the NFL. So, young men like James Hudson are very, very key guys because they can do both. That's up to Jim."

In case it wasn?t clear from that last update, Hudson is working out at offensive tackle.

Earlier in the week we talked about the big play antics of freshman Tarik Black. Late in the week it?s Donovan Peoples-Jones. The other day he took advantage of a safety in the slot for a couple of TDs. Yesterday it was a corner on the outside that was a two-touchdown victim. There weren?t many big plays, but there were a lot of steady ones, and DPJ stood out the most in first-WR-group that consisted of him, Kekoa Crawford, and Eddie McDoom.

Quick Hitters

-Ty Isaac was the running back that made the most noise on what was otherwise a rather quiet day, Saturday. The fifth-year senior had few big runs up the middle.

-Kareem Walker got some run with the ones while some the other backs got rest.

-Grant Perry has really come on strong. Old reliable just gets open. The QBs know he will always be where he is supposed to be when he is supposed to be there.

-Updating Brad Hawkins? I?m told his home will be at safety, but they?re going to nurture his man cover skills by giving him looks on the outside. His coverage ability at safety will be a big-time asset down the line.

-We continue to hear that freshman Chuck Filiaga is getting most of his run at guard.

-Meanwhile we hear Nolan Ulizio was again getting run with the ones at right tackle. To reiterate, that should NOT be taken as a signal that he has won the spot. Chalk it up as another sign of him being definitively in the mix.

Quotes from Zordich posted by Chris Balas on Twitter:

Zordich says corners not consistent enough. Need to dig deeper.

Zordich ... Not going to tell story that isn't true. Guys need work.

Not overly encouraging. Going to be a significant drop off from Lewis/Stribling. At least early in the season.

Some more from Zordich:

Ben St. Juste coming along. Ambry Thomas is a want to guy ... Might be thinking too much.

Zordich says DPJ has improved tremendously in the last two weeks.

David Long ... They don't know why he hasn't grabbed the position. Watson hasn't taken bull by the horns either

More from Zordich:

Zordich says LaVert Hill has established himself at CB. The other young CBs? 'Not fast enough.'

Asked if there's anything keeping David Long from earning a top job, Zordich: 'That'd be a better question for David Long.'

Zordich on CBs: 'I don't want to sound like the sky is falling. But there is an eclipse. Maybe that'll be a good thing.'

More Zordich on CB inconsistencies: 'Hopefully one of them will read this article.'

Jay Harbaugh just listed a bunch of KR/PR candidates. Narrowing it down. Even Khaleke Hudson has had a shot.

Jay Harbaugh had some praise for Kareem Walker today. Says he's healthy, knows the playbook better. Can be a decisive downhill physical RB

Zordich on CBs..said they have the ability and displayed it, but:"it has to be on a consistent basis. That is just not happening right now."

Says Lavert Hill is consistent now that he's healthy and he's getting better and better. Seemed very pleased.

Zordich said word "consistent" about 100 times. Corners need it. Kinnel has it. Most important thing in college sports, if you want to play.

Last edited:
Zordich's phrasing makes it sound like he's legit concerned, and a little pissed off.

what happens if we play press coverage and aggressive defense with inconsistent corners? could get ugly... I assume Don Brown will account for that in some way, shape or form.

Zordich said he sees the ability in the guys and that's the frustrating thing for him. The ability is there, but they aren't bringing it on a consistent basis.

Damn. We all knew CB might be frustrating this year, but it sounds worse than that. Going to have some growing pains. Hopefully, it's just that ours receivers are really good.

Back