Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Robert Mueller Russia inquiry: first charges have been filed

what about Bobby Kennedy?

Oh, yeah, right.

How did I forget about him?

I was alive at the time, but no memory of it from that time - just know it from the history books like most others here.

I started being aware of news and politics right around the 1968 election.

From Ballotpedia:
Donald Trump donated $175,860 more to Democrats than Republicans from 1989 to 2010, but in 2011 his giving to Democrats significantly decreased. From 2011 to 2015, Republicans received $630,150 in donations from Trump, while Democrats received just $8,500. What caused Trump’s decision to abandon the Democratic Party in 2011 and throw his full support behind Republicans is unclear. It could have been his desire to be taken seriously in the political world and gain influence within the Republican Party in preparation for a future presidential run, as New York Times reporters Maggie Haberman and Alexander Burns suggested in their outline of Trump’s effort to court members of the conservative establishment beginning in 2011.​

unclear? it could have been his desire to win the Republican nomination? He tried for the nomination in '12. It's painfully obvious why he started donating to Republicans - who writes this stuff?

unclear? it could have been his desire to win the Republican nomination? He tried for the nomination in '12. It's painfully obvious why he started donating to Republicans - who writes this stuff?

Ballotpedia?

I agree with you, but of course, no one knows for certain what his motivation was, and I'm sure if you asked Trump, he'd deny that was the reason and would come up with another excuse, one that was quite possibly wholly fabricated by him on the spot. Ballotpedia is not InfoWars or Breitbart; they can't just speculate and report their speculations as fact like that.

They don't have to report their opinions as fact but they also don't have to use adjectives like "unclear" and make themselves look/sound stupid. Unconfirmed and unclear aren't the same thing.

Unclear may not be the best word, but it is technically correct, and not even that bad a word choice. Differing reads on how much certainty is implied by the word 'unclear' compared to how much uncertainty there is in Trump's motivations is extremely nitpicky. It's actually a good thing that they use the statement to clarify that it is not a known fact. It is cautious writing.

Last edited:
Unclear may not be the best word, but it is technically correct, and not even that bad a word choice. Differing reads on how much certainty is implied by the word 'unclear' compared to how much uncertainty there is in Trump's motivations is extremely nitpicky. It's actually a good thing that they use the statement to clarify that it is not a known fact. It is cautious writing.

This is 2018. We deal in absolutes. No room for that "journalistic integrity'' bullshit.

This is 2018. We deal in absolutes. No room for that "journalistic integrity'' bullshit.

Now, a word choice you should actually complain about, on the other hand, is when your typical Spartan fan says they're having a barbeque, but they're actually grilling hotdogs. I'd have to question the value system of a person that's bothered by the word 'unclear' in this case, but isn't offended by the misuse of the word 'barbeque'.

Last edited:
Now, a word choice you should actually complain about, on the other hand, is when your typical Spartan fan says they're having a barbeque, but they're actually grilling hotdogs. I'd have to question the value system of a person that's bothered by the word 'unclear' in this case, but isn't offended by the misuse of the word 'barbeque'.

I hope you never let this go. :lmao:

anyone who learned the difference as an adult and only because after living in the South for a few years, his/her neighbors could no longer politely ignore their misuse of the term, shouldn't be preaching about how upset others should be by it.

anyone who learned the difference as an adult and only because after living in the South for a few years, his/her neighbors could no longer politely ignore their misuse of the term, shouldn't be preaching about how upset others should be by it.

Libel is difficult to prove because you have to show the perpetrator actually knew the story they made up was BS, right? It's not enough if the story is obviously made up, but the thoughts of the story teller are unclear.

if it's only technically correct, then it's not really nitpicking. What would be nitpicking if the writer said something like "the timing of the shift coincides with his efforts to win the R nomination, indicating the motivation behind the change..." and then someone came along and said "wait a minute, we don't know that for sure. Trump hasn't told us..."

Libel is difficult to prove because you have to show the perpetrator actually knew the story they made up was BS, right? It's not enough if the story is obviously made up, but the thoughts of the story teller are unclear.

I'm not sure - these are the times I wish we had a good lawyer that posted here.

if it's only technically correct, then it's not really nitpicking. What would be nitpicking if the writer said something like "the timing of the shift coincides with his efforts to win the R nomination, indicating the motivation behind the change..." and then someone came along and said "wait a minute, we don't know that for sure. Trump hasn't told us..."

No joke or sarcasm, I disagree with that take. I think more nitpicky is picking on the smaller offense and I think between those two, the case that technically correct is the smaller offense. It's hardly an offense at all.

But this is only a shrug and a a 'huh' level of disagreement.

this isn't really worth going back and forth on. to me it's not at all unclear why trump shifted parties he supported with his donations. it should be obvious to everyone. I don't think pointing that out is out of line or nitpicking in any way. I'm hungry - I'm going to go boil some hotdogs.

Last edited:
Manafort has been locked up to await his trial
Three US marshals led Manafort out of the courtroom into the prisoner holding area immediately after the judge's ruling. He was not placed in handcuffs. Before he disappeared through the door, he turned toward his wife and supporters and gave a stilted wave.
Minutes later, a marshal returned to give his wife, Kathleen, still standing in the courtroom's front row, Manafort's wallet, belt and the burgundy tie he wore Friday.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/politics/judge-sends-paul-manafort-to-jail-pending-trial/index.html

Back