Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RR's first DC Scott Shafer

wellmanadam

Didn't know this until I read the ESPN recap of the 'Cuse v WVU game.

Shafer is at Syracuse as their DC. Seems he devised a clever game plan to hold WVU's "high powered" (ESPN's words..not mine) offense, that had averaged 40.8 points and 500+ yds per game to just 23 and 408. No idea of that's good or bad or in between...it is the Big East after all.

Did GERG land anywhere this year? I'd be shocked if he was at a D1 school.

wellmanadam said:

Shafer is at Syracuse as their DC. Seems he devised a clever game plan to hold WVU's "high powered" (ESPN's words..not mine) offense, that had averaged 40.8 points and 500+ yds per game to just 23 and 408. No idea of that's good or bad or in between...it is the Big East after all.

don't you remember the argument over this?

We hired G Robinson from Syracuse, and Scott Shafer "resigned" and went to Syracuse.

Our defense got worse, a lot worse, and their defense immediately improved. I think they went to a bowl in Shafer's 2nd season.

Evidently, Syracuse's head coach didn't believe that Shafer was the sole reason we went 3-9 in 2008...

wellmanadam said:

I think before this game, espn said that Syracuse was 105th in the nation against the pass...Don't get all worked up over a meaningless game and come to some weird conclusions.

Back