Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sit, stand, kneel, or do whatever you like for the National Anthem

I would worry that if you tried to drop it right now, people would get upset about trying to erase out history or something like that.

I'm not going to try to drop anything. I'm not an official of any type of sports league or any other type of event that traditionally plays the star spangled banner at the commencement of any activities.

I'm not going to try to drop anything. I'm not an official of any type of sports league or any other type of event that traditionally plays the star spangled banner at the commencement of any activities.

I meant 'you' as a stretch of the majestic plural.

It's only higher when it's higher.

It's not as high when it's not as high.

"Free" is the same note as "red glare."

The most common key for a crowd for the national anthem is G, which puts the two high notes at the D - the five note sew, a needle pulling thread, as Maria von Trapp would put it - above middle C for baritones/tenors - most men - and obviously one octave higher for altos/sopranos - most women.

That's not that high of a note.

If a person can't hit it, just fake it.

These intrathread subtopics are one of my favorite things on DSF. Someone should write a song about that.

Trump is ridiculing the Superbowl champion Eagles team, most of whom have turned down an invitation to the White House to celebrate their victory with Dear Leader. I imagine that since no Eagle player was captured kneeling during last season, they now all have even more of a reason to refuse, since he is accusing them of being unpatriotic and disrespectful of our military, and his press secretary spokesgobblin Huckabee-Sanders claims that the team has abandoned their fans. Many knew damned well how he was going to use the team as props to further his anti-kneeler narrative.

Faux News had taken note of this by taking Drumpfkopf's side and ran with an image taken last season of a group of Eagles players kneeling prior to a game last season, which could be interpreted by their viewership as an act of protest. Zach Ertz unhappily tweeted about it, claiming that he and the others in the group were in fact praying, not protesting:

Zach Ertz‏Verified account @ZERTZ_86 Follow Follow @ZERTZ_86

More

Zach Ertz Retweeted
This can’t be serious.... Praying before games with my teammates, well before the anthem, is being used for your propaganda?! Just sad, I feel like you guys should have to be better than this... https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/1003845673073238016 …

Zach Ertz added,
This Tweet is unavailable.
5:04 am - 5 Jun 2018

• 29,180 Retweets
  • 68,864 Likes

Well Zach, Faux News is notorious for its bending and stretching the truth...in this instance to further its pro-Trump agenda, and unfortunately you and your group of xtian team-mates were used just for that purpose. Plus it can be argued that the inclusion of that image was only to provide an illustrated sample of Eagles players, and was not intended to imply that your group was kneeling in protest.

Last edited:
I thought the event was canceled because of this

"A large group of Eagles players had decided not to attend, including most -- if not all -- of the black players, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. In fact, five or fewer Eagles players committed to attend the White House ceremony, a source told ESPN's Don Van Natta."

Faux News had taken note of this by taking Drumpfkopf's side and ran with an image taken last season of a group of Eagles players kneeling prior to a game last season, which could be interpreted by their viewership as an act of protest. Zach Ertz unhappily tweeted about it, claiming that he and the others in the group were in fact praying, not protesting:

Zach Ertz‏Verified account @ZERTZ_86 Follow Follow @ZERTZ_86

More

Zach Ertz Retweeted
This can?t be serious.... Praying before games with my teammates, well before the anthem, is being used for your propaganda?! Just sad, I feel like you guys should have to be better than this... https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/1003845673073238016 ?

Zach Ertz added,
This Tweet is unavailable.
5:04 am - 5 Jun 2018

• 29,180 Retweets
  • 68,864 Likes

I just heard about this on KABC radio. Pretty funny. For what it's worth, KABC reported Fox News acknowledged its mistake and apologized.

I hope the Lions win it all and refuse to go. Mostly I just want the Lions to win it all.

I thought the event was canceled because of this

"A large group of Eagles players had decided not to attend, including most -- if not all -- of the black players, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. In fact, five or fewer Eagles players committed to attend the White House ceremony, a source told ESPN's Don Van Natta."

It is my contention that employees do not have the protection of the First Amendment while being paid for "working" and representing their employers business. But the professional sports companies do not have any direct connection to our nation's military, other than some or many of their employees having served voluntarily and in the distant past, involuntarily in the Armed Forces.

So to be fair, players who do not wish to stand or be in observance during the National Anthem b/c of their positions opposing the unfair treatment of minorities by law enforcement or the fact that an ever-increasing number are not even US citizens (especially among Latino positional players in MLB and also the Euro/Canadians in the NHL) they should not be obligated to stand and accomodated appropriately.

Last edited:
It is my contention that employees do not have the protection of the First Amendment while being paid for "working" and representing their employers business.

this is the only part of your post that matters

I think it's hilarious how Trump is getting hammered on Twitter by NFL and NBA players about his bullshit this morning. And Faux News showing Eagles players PRAYING before the anthem started as PROPAGANDA for Don.

He seems atypically nervous the past couple days. I think Melanie left him and he knows Mueller is getting closer to the next round of indictments.

Would be funny if it weren't so serious and with situations like Puerto Rico and the border being so brutally inhumane.

I think it's hilarious how Trump is getting hammered on Twitter by NFL and NBA players about his bullshit this morning. And Faux News showing Eagles players PRAYING before the anthem started as PROPAGANDA for Don.

He seems atypically nervous the past couple days. I think Melanie left him and he knows Mueller is getting closer to the next round of indictments.

Would be funny if it weren't so serious and with situations like Puerto Rico and the border being so brutally inhumane.

Hey, you know... Democrats did bad stuff too, so why are you criticising the guy in office making decisions right now?

this is the only part of your post that matters

Its merely entertainment.

Should we and the employees have to observe the National Anthem being played before watching a movie at a theater, or before the start of a musical concert?

Same with watching TV, but I'm sure that the authoritarian fluffers among US would be all for that nonsense.

Last edited:

Should we and the employees have to observe the National Anthem being played before watching a movie at a theater, or before the start of a musical concert?

If the owner of the venue wants to do that and accept whatever positive or negative repercussions that come with it, then why not? Private party speech vs. private party speech is mostly about accepting the consequences as private entities.

I just learned this.

Apparently the government of the United States and the NFL Who is started politicizing the football game events.

Hey, you know... Democrats did bad stuff too, so why are you criticising the guy in office making decisions right now?

Its no secret why "the guy" in office hasn't attended any games in professional or amateur sports...but maybe NASCAR could be a go.

Last edited:

Same with watching TV, but I'm sure that the authoritarian fluffers among US would be all for that nonsense.

that would be a good point if the NFL were trying to make the patrons stand during the anthem...but they are not.

Back