Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Steelers loss

And to expand on that: You know we're not going to blitz so they don't have to defend against that, no need to keep an extra blocker etc. They make it easier for opposing offenses..

Last edited:
No because they refuse to give it to the best back of the day. He was running better than Bush on Sunday and only got 9 carries. On a day when our passing was suspect. Even before he got hurt it was a no brainer that Bell should have had more than 9 touches..

Quinn isn't a world beater, 97 yard drives don't just stop when he's in there..I'm glad he's here but our defense has given up long drives before when Quinn was playing..

They were giving it to Bell. They were driving and Bush was on the bench and Bell had 2 carries on that drive. Then he got hurt on the 9 yard run. Bell runs the ball on that 2nd and 4 before the fake FG and the Lions win the game. He was hurt at the time. Bell 9 carries without playing the entire 4th Quarter and they realized Bush couldn't get it done early 2nd.

I'm actually curious to know how good the run defense actually is.

4.1 ypc against puts them right in the middle of the league (16th)

They're 5th in total rushing yards given up, but 2nd in carries against (230, Carolina in 1st at 220)

Are teams not rushing against the Lions because they can't? or because they don't need to?

A game-by-game breakdown of opponent rushing

1. Minnesota 22 car 105 yds (18 car 98 yds for Peterson) 31 pass plays 23:41 TOP
Minnesota was trailing for most of the 2nd half

2. Arizona 25 car 87 yds (23 car 89 yds from RBs) 41 pass plays 31:19 TOP
Arizona trailed in the 2nd half until the end

3. Washington 22 car 120 yds (15 car 73 yds from Morris) 52 pass plays 31:12 TOP
Washington was either tied or playing from behind most of the game. Morris did have a decent day, two big runs from Morris and RG3 made up about 50 of those yards

4. Chicago 16 car 131 yds (14 car 95 yds from Forte) 50 pass plays 28:11 TOP
Detroit had a comfortable lead from the mid 2nd quarter and on, more than half of Chicago's rushing yards were from chunk plays

5. Green Bay 33 car 180 yds (26 car 100 yds from RBs) 31 pass plays 32:19 TOP
GB scored first and never gave up the lead, a big chunk came from Cobb's 67 yard run

6. Cleveland 21 car 126 yds (16 car 61 yds from RBs) 45 pass plays 26:31 TOP
Cleveland held a lead through the 3rd quarter, a big chunk came from Benjamin's 45 yard run

7. Cincinnati 18 car 57 yds (17 car 51 yds from RBs) 35 pass plays 25:59 TOP
Was back and forth most of the game, with Dalton's play that day, they didn't really need to run so the smaller number of carries is understandable

8. Dallas 26 car 62 yds (21 car 50 yds from RBs) 30 pass plays 24:49 TOP
Dallas held a lead after the half til losing it at the end, fair to say they were ineffective in the rushing department

9. Chicago 20 car 38 yds (17 car 33 yds from Forte) 51 pass plays 31:35 TOP
Chicago trailed most of the game

10. Pittsburgh 27 car 40 yds (20 car 36 yds from RBs) 46 pass plays 32:16 TOP
Pittsburgh held a big lead early then lost it, then held a sizable lead late

Excluding runs from QBs and WRs on funky designed plays, the rush defense wasn't anything special in the first handful of games, however they've been much better lately.

The run D has been much better in the last 4 weeks. And even early it was bascially one big run giving up (Peterson, Forte run, Benjamin run, Morris 30 yarder) and then they stuffed the other RB all day(on a good number of carries) other than the bad GB game that Lacy good chunks and Cobb had a big run.

They were giving it to Bell. They were driving and Bush was on the bench and Bell had 2 carries on that drive. Then he got hurt on the 9 yard run. Bell runs the ball on that 2nd and 4 before the fake FG and the Lions win the game. He was hurt at the time. Bell 9 carries without playing the entire 4th Quarter and they realized Bush couldn't get it done early 2nd.

Why not give it to him 20 times before he got hurt? I know it's a passing league but with the bad QB play most of the game, he was obviously running better than Bush why not?

Wasn't just this week, all year its been shown that Bell is a better inside runner yet I see too many runs by Bush where he gets stuffed..that's on the coaches. I think they take the "he's our starter" too much to the heart.

Why not give it to him 20 times before he got hurt? I know it's a passing league but with the bad QB play most of the game, he was obviously running better than Bush why not?

Wasn't just this week, all year its been shown that Bell is a better inside runner yet I see too many runs by Bush where he gets stuffed..that's on the coaches. I think they take the "he's our starter" too much to the heart.

Bush hadn't fumbled yet until the 2nd. Lions did move the ball well in the 1st Quarter too but Stafford missed (Calvin drop and miss to Bush) to stall the drive. And the one 3 and out in the first quarter, Bell got the only carry. And we scored 27 points in the 2nd Quarter. 2 runs in the 3rd Quarter to Reggie is your only beef. It wasn't known Bush was going to slip until the 3rd. He is the starter and has 4.5 YPC by the way. Late 3rd they gave Bell the ball and he had 2 good runs on the good fake FG drive. Bush had a good run of a first down and a 6 yard catch too. Then slipped on 2nd and 4 with Bell hurt.

Last edited:
The problem is Mitch once again, you are looking at stats and see 9 carries. I'm looking at what happened during the game. And know that's 9 carries in 3 Quarters.

Bush hadn't fumbled yet until the 2nd. Lions did move the ball well in the 1st Quarter too but Stafford missed (Calvin drop and miss to Bush) to stall the drive. And the one 3 and out in the first quarter, Bell got the only carry. And we scored 27 points in the 2nd Quarter. 2 runs in the 3rd Quarter to Reggie is your only beef. It wasn't known Bush was going to slip until the 3rd. He is the starter and has 4.5 YPC by the way. Late 3rd they gave Bell the ball and he had 2 good runs on the good fake FG drive. Bush had a good run of a first down and a 6 yard catch too. Then slipped on 2nd and 4 with Bell hurt.

That's my point. Give it to the better back of the day. Bush has been fine but when we need a yard or two and you run up the middle I would think Bell would be a better option. This isn't about the slip or who the starter is or YPC. You need a yard, I think the bigger back is the way to go. Especially running up the middle.

The problem is Mitch once again, you are looking at stats and see 9 carries. I'm looking at what happened during the game. And know that's 9 carries in 3 Quarters.

So 3 carries a quarter is okay? When first, its raining. And 2nd, Bell is running well? That's fine if you do, I don't.

So 3 carries a quarter is okay? When first, its raining. And 2nd, Bell is running well? That's fine if you do, I don't.

With Bush as the starter with 4.5 YPC and 27 fucking points in the 2nd Quarter. Bell had a nice screen pass to help for a score. Yeah i'm fine with that. They moved the ball well in Q1 and Q2. The lone 3 and out Bell got the rush. Problem?

Giving the starting RB 2 runs to start Q3 after a 27 point quarter. I have no problem with that.

Down 3 and 10 with under 4 and 2 minutes. Timie to pass with Bell hurt too.

That's my point. Give it to the better back of the day. Bush has been fine but when we need a yard or two and you run up the middle I would think Bell would be a better option. This isn't about the slip or who the starter is or YPC. You need a yard, I think the bigger back is the way to go. Especially running up the middle.

They needed a short yardage and Bush converted one in the late 3rd with Bell out. 2nd and 4 with Bell out hurt, you give it to Bush. THat is the right call. You want LeShoure for that 2nd and 4.

Holy crap Lion lovers just stop.
We all know Matt is the best QB that the Lions have had for years but freaking 19 for 46 does not cut it... Drops aside he overthrew at least one td pass to Bush on a easy 5-10 yard throw... Stop with the Stafford Love until he leads us to some playoff victories.. Talent is one thing expectations are another thing.. Matt needs to take the next step..
Win in the playoffs period end of story..

Holy crap Lion lovers just stop.
We all know Matt is the best QB that the Lions have had for years but freaking 19 for 46 does not cut it... Drops aside he overthrew at least one td pass to Bush on a easy 5-10 yard throw... Stop with the Stafford Love until he leads us to some playoff victories.. Talent is one thing expectations are another thing.. Matt needs to take the next step..
Win in the playoffs period end of story..

Stafford played well enough to win our first playoff game. He played great. Injuries to Houston, Delmas and Spievey with a concussion derailed that. Plus a bogus ref whistle, Lions should have been up 21-7.

They needed a short yardage and Bush converted one in the late 3rd with Bell out. 2nd and 4 with Bell out hurt, you give it to Bush. THat is the right call. You want LeShoure for that 2nd and 4.

No but when both are playing I want bell for short up the middle. I'm sure there is some stat that says I'm wrong but in that situation I'd prefer Bell. That's just me.

Stafford played well enough to win our first playoff game. He played great. Injuries to Houston, Delmas and Spievey with a concussion derailed that. Plus a bogus ref whistle, Lions should have been up 21-7.

Always someone else's fault. We're the only team with problems. Playoff wins or bust. That's our new motto.

here we go again with the excuses! The Lions should have won the SB that year!

Always someone else's fault. We're the only team with problems. Playoff wins or bust. That's our new motto.

Brees against an injury riddled secondary. One guy with a bum knee not healed and one guy playing out of his mind with a concussion.

Stafford had good numbers. Your precious comp % was high, 3 TDS. 2 picks were late and one because Young fell down in single coverage.

here we go again with the excuses! The Lions should have won the SB that year!

Delmas, Houston and Best don't get hurt, they have a great shot.

And by the way. Super Bowl winner Giants didn't have anyone hurt for that Super Bowl other than Terrell Thomas.

Last edited:

And by the way. Super Bowl winner Giants didn't have anyone hurt for that Super Bowl other than Terrell Thomas.

SB, they don't get hurt and we have a shot? At the SB?

:lmao:

Delmas and Houston are healthy now and we have Bush? We just lost to Pittsburgh..

Best only played in 6 games...you can't use that excuse. Delmas is always hurt! A TEAM has guys that can step up. The Lions lost by 17 to a team that didn't make it past the next round. The Lions were going to be a one and done that year anyway.

Is Delmas all that good even when he's healthy? Does he do something more than talk shit on the field?

Back