Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers Hire A.J. Hinch As New Tigers Manager and New Coaches

The Angels fired Buddy Carlyle and Dylan Axelrod. They went to the Rays and Tigers in PD roles.

The Detroit Tigers have hired former pitcher Dylan Axelrod as their new Pitching Performance and Integration Coordinator.

The newest Tigers coordinator Dylan Axelrod was the assistant pitching coordinator with Ryan Garko when Garko was the replay coordinator for the Angels back in 2020.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2023/1...tching-coordinator-coaches-los-angeles-angels
Tigers hire Dylan Axelrod as Pitching Performance and Integration Coordinator.
The former Red and White Sox pitcher was most recently the Angels pitching coordinator.
BYBTB

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/02/07/another-quiet-december/
ANOTHER QUIET DECEMBER.
Totally Tigers

What if they threw a party and no one came?

That’s exactly what the Tigers wanted to avoid. It’s been exactly 5 years now since they hosted the annual TigerFest. An annual event at Comerica where fans could come and tour the stadium, listen to speakers and get autographs.

It always sold out in minutes.

But it all stopped after the 2019 season.

You know why. Two straight years of 98 losses back-to-back followed by 114 losses in 2019.

Not a coincidence.....

But one of the biggest factors in what happens next off-season is a person who doesn’t play or even don a Tigers’ uniform.

UNLOCKING PLAYER POTENTIAL.
Totally Tigers

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Tigers official site

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

CORPORATE CROSS POLLINATION.
Totally Tigers

HIT AND RUN.
Totally Tigers

Today, we’re going to address some great questions our reader, Jim, sent to me.
He wrote “When do we start wondering if the hitting coaches aren’t very good at their job? We rightfully praise the pitching coaches for their magic, so why not wonder if the hitting coaches are failing? Outside hitting coaches are still a thing for Tigers’ players.”

Isn’t it ironic that we know so much about Chris Fetter and his staff but almost nothing about the hitting coaches?
Part of that is because of the differences between hitting and pitching. Every pitch a pitcher throws is seen, located and analyzed but we don’t get to see every detail of a batter’s mechanics as he swings and why he didn’t make solid contact. Only recently has the tv broadcast taken to critiquing batters’ hitting skills in helping us understand the difference between success and failure.

We also see the pitching coaches throughout a game. The hitting coaches? Never. I imagine that 99% of fans couldn’t identify them in a lineup. Their work is always behind the scenes and away from fans’ eyes.
So as we delve into how to evaluate the hitting coaches, we must first understand what is now considered normal in the industry. It’s because the Tigers have been notoriously outdated in adopting what other teams consider to be standard.
For over 5 years now, MLB teams started adding multiple hitting coaches. Today, over half of all teams have 3 hitting coaches. The others have 2. Until 2023, the Tigers were the last team in baseball to add more than 1 hitting coach. They now have 3......

FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

Now that Scott Harris and some of A. J. Hinch’s coaches have a year of experience with the Tigers under their belts, now is the time to start looking at this team to see if any fundamental changes have been made.
Changes that are different than their previous m.o. And yes, there are, including some noticeable ones.
Without further adieu, here are the 5 most prominent and positive changes I am seeing....

Have a seat Tigers Podcast: A.J. Hinch: Keeping Your Head Where Your Feet Are | Have a Seat. 48 minutes.
Jason and Dan sit down with Detroit skipper, A.J. Hinch. The former MLB catcher explains why he never thought he’d be a manager, recounts throwing up after receiving his first offer, and relays his unconventional road to clubhouse leader. Hinch delves into his fascination with sports psychology and how he utilizes principles to create impactful and consistent messaging for players. How have his thoughts on lineup construction evolved over the years – or have they? Hinch also details the telltale signs of uncomfortable hitters, navigating the intricacies of pitching changes, and shares his thoughts on the 2024 Tigers. Finally, A.J. explains why he won’t be picking up water sports any time soon.

Back