Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. redsox ALCS Game 2 Thread

Oakland is not Boston... Until Jim proves he can beat teams other then Oakland and the Yankees in a Tiger uniform in the playoffs I will believe it.. We had them dead.. That homer and win feels like Gibson's homer for the dodgers to me. The A's caved after that in game 1. Up 2-0 this series is over Boston would have scored just a few runs asking questions.. Now they have life and only need to win 1 in Detroit not 2...I feel if we don't sweep its over and we will look back to yet another blown chance to win a WS.. Dude this game was over up 5-1 and Max dealing...

So what? The game is over now. Are you going to keep thinking about it for the next 48 hours? You are taking the exact opposite approach I hope the players and coaches are taking right now. Even up 2-0 we certainly would not have the Red Sox dead (see the 2004 ALCS). And Jim does not take the field against the other teams. I will agree with you wholeheartedly that I did not like him removing Scherzer from this game, but Jim did not cost us the 2006 WS, the 2011 ALCS, or the 2012 WS.

God all we will hear the next 2 days is about this historic walk off.. Holy crap jab my eyes out with a ice pick...

So what? The game is over now. Are you going to keep thinking about it for the next 48 hours? You are taking the exact opposite approach I hope the players and coaches are taking right now. Even up 2-0 we certainly would not have the Red Sox dead (see the 2004 ALCS). And Jim does not take the field against the other teams. I will agree with you wholeheartedly that I did not like him removing Scherzer from this game, but Jim did not cost us the 2006 WS, the 2011 ALCS, or the 2012 WS.

Yes.. Starting rookie Verlander in game one was stupid with pine tar vet was dealing. Pus Jim forgets to tell young pitchers that they do indeed bunt in the NL and a throw to first may be necessary.

No.. Injuries bail Jim out although we run the bases like shit due to a blind third base coach.

Yes. Base running blunders abound as blind third base coach will have his last season at third. Both 2006.2012 jims teams were flat...

Jim is a decent manger.. He just can't seem to win a WS in Detroit. He is a terrible bullpen manger.. Not sure on his replacements. Probably bad.. Both WS the Tigers were flat as a pancake... Blame who you want that is on the manager after a layoff..

There's no crying in baseball, biggunsbob. So stop.

We lost and some of you people need to stop crying that the sky is falling. It's 1-1.

I think we have to sweep in Detroit now.. Such a shame we let them off the hook with Max dealing... Hope I am wrong.. I have no faith having to win at Fenway in game 6 or 7I have just seen to many failures from my teams I root for.. I firmly believe up 2-0 this series is not going back to Boston.. So freaking frustrating...

There's no crying in baseball, biggunsbob. So stop.

We lost and some of you people need to stop crying that the sky is falling. It's 1-1.

I am just pissed... I have seen this playbook to many times... Hopefully we will sweep at home...

Sorry but going home 1-1 one way is totally different then going home 1-1 after how we lost tonight... We all know it just afraid to say it... Hopefully we will sweep at home..

Last edited:
Yes.. Starting rookie Verlander in game one was stupid with pine tar vet was dealing. Pus Jim forgets to tell young pitchers that they do indeed bunt in the NL and a throw to first may be necessary.

No.. Injuries bail Jim out although we run the bases like shit due to a blind third base coach.

Yes. Base running blunders abound as blind third base coach will have his last season at third. Both 2006.2012 jims teams were flat...

Jim is a decent manger.. He just can't seem to win a WS in Detroit. He is a terrible bullpen manger.. Not sure on his replacements. Probably bad.. Both WS the Tigers were flat as a pancake... Blame who you want that is on the manager after a layoff..

2006 WS the team couldn't hit for jack after a long layoff, and they forgot how to throw to first base. You made a nice joke there, but seriously how is that Leyland's fault? What is he supposed to do run out there and field the balls himself? You're right though it's Jim's fault he forgot to tell his pitchers "hey guys you might have to make routine throws to first! Be ready!!" The Tigers lost the series in 5 games, but starting Verlander in game 1 instead of Rogers was the difference? Even if you're right, that's hardly something that would have turned a 4-1 series loss into a series win.

2012 WS guys just didn't hit. Shutout twice in a row and looked miserable throughout. Not sure what you want Jim to do there. You don't get a team out of a hitting slump by making "rah rah" speeches or waving a magic wand.

He could very well win a World Series this year. Is Jim Leyland perfect? Absolutely not, and I do believe he made a decision tonight that cost us the game by pulling Scherzer early. Focus some of your anger on the players though because they deserve a lot. Smyly did not come through, Benoit did not come through, Hunter overran the homerun that he had a chance to catch, Prince can't field his position at first base to save his life etc.

Going to watch the Walking Dead...So I can be reminded how poorly Jim manages a bullpen... Like a freaking Zombie... Up 5-1 in the freaking eighth... And 5-0 in the game.. Only the freaking Tigers can blow that...

2006 WS the team couldn't hit for jack after a long layoff, and they forgot how to throw to first base. You made a nice joke there, but seriously how is that Leyland's fault? What is he supposed to do run out there and field the balls himself? You're right though it's Jim's fault he forgot to tell his pitchers "hey guys you might have to make routine throws to first! Be ready!!" The Tigers lost the series in 5 games, but starting Verlander in game 1 instead of Rogers was the difference? Even if you're right, that's hardly something that would have turned a 4-1 series loss into a series win.

2012 WS guys just didn't hit. Shutout twice in a row and looked miserable throughout. Not sure what you want Jim to do there. You don't get a team out of a hitting slump by making "rah rah" speeches or waving a magic wand.

He could very well win a World Series this year. Is Jim Leyland perfect? Absolutely not, and I do believe he made a decision tonight that cost us the game by pulling Scherzer early. Focus some of your anger on the players though because they deserve a lot. Smyly did not come through, Benoit did not come through, Hunter overran the homerun that he had a chance to catch, Prince can't field his position at first base to save his life etc.

Long layoff after both 2006 and 2012... Jim's teams were flat.. Why have a manager if he can't get his team up... I am just different I think a manager has a lot of input on a decision in the games outcome like reminding his players not to let Big Papi beat you with one swing of the at bat.. Beyond ridicules' that he got anything good to it.. Blame the players all you want its the manger who manages them and puts them in good spots to win. Jim was so poor tonight it was not even funny...

Last edited:
Jim will get a pass when he finally gets is team over the top and wins a world series in Detroit.. Fact is we better not lose this series or he will never live taking Max out. I hope we win the next three in Detroit...I do not think we can win in Boston in games 6 or 7.. I hope I am wrong..

Long layoff after both 2006 and 2012... Jim's teams were flat.. Why have a manager if he can't get his team up... I am just different I think a manager has a lot of input on a decision in the games outcome like reminding his players not to let Big Papi beat you with on swing of the at bat.. Beyond ridicules' that he got anything good to it.. Blame the players all you want its the manger who manages them and puts them in good spots to win. Jim was so poor tonight it was not even funny...

Yea I guess we are different then. A manager makes moves to put the team in the best position to win. The cheerleading stuff you are talking about can come from a manger, but really it should come from the players (such as Hunter and Vmart). You think it's Jim's fault that he didn't specifically tell Benoit "hey don't throw a ball over the plate to Ortiz." What if he did? You weren't on the field so perhaps that's exactly what Jim said and Benoit simply screwed it up? Even if Jim doesn't give this instruction, is Benoit some kind of idiot? You need Leyland to tell you not to throw a ball over the heart of the plate to Big Papi? Sorry but I blame Benoit for that pitch and him alone.

Leyland was fine taking Scherzer out.

His pitching carousel in the 8th inning was unforgivably retarded.

Don't take a pitcher out because he allows one runner to reach base in a fucking 4 run game.

Yea I guess we are different then. A manager makes moves to put the team in the best position to win. The cheerleading stuff you are talking about can come from a manger, but really it should come from the players (such as Hunter and Vmart). You think it's Jim's fault that he didn't specifically tell Benoit "hey don't throw a ball over the plate to Ortiz." What if he did? You weren't on the field so perhaps that's exactly what Jim said and Benoit simply screwed it up? Even if Jim doesn't give this instruction, is Benoit some kind of idiot? You need Leyland to tell you not to throw a ball over the heart of the plate to Big Papi? Sorry but I blame Benoit for that pitch and him alone.

Not less the a 10-ish days ago Jim said he did not like to bring in JB in the 8th with runners on and liked him to have clean bases. JB has done it a few times. Not sure how great it worked out but it is not a good move. Jim so over managed that inning it is not even beyond question.. Taking Vera's out is ok.. But why not leave in JS with Papi a batter away after his walk? Heck he may have let another runner on but you still have him to pitch to Ortiz? Again why does Jim have a wasted space being used by Coke?
papi is his best match up.. there can be no pitch close for papi to hit out.. none. Jim has to make that known when he gives the ball to Jb..

Last edited:
Leyland was fine taking Scherzer out.

His pitching carousel in the 8th inning was unforgivably retarded.

Don't take a pitcher out because he allows one runner to reach base in a fucking 4 run game.

Taking Smyly out was worse the Vera's I agree.. Jim was awful that inning.. I am way down.

Not less the a 10-ish days ago Jim said he did not like to bring in JB in the 8th with runners on and liked him to have clean bases. JB has done it a few times. Not sure how great it worked out but it is not a good move. Jim so over managed that inning it is not even beyond question.. Taking Vera's out is ok.. But why not leave in JS with Papi a batter away after his walk? Heck he may have let another runner on but you still have him to pitch to Ortiz? Again why does Jim have a wasted space being used by Coke?

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but it doesn't apply to what I wrote. You complained about giving Big Papi a pitch to hit, and I responded. Now you're ignoring that and going off into completely different complaints.

If you want to be mad at Leyland for the 8th inning that's fine, because he does deserve some of it. I just don't understand why you'd let the players off the hook for their performances late in the game though.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but it doesn't apply to what I wrote. You complained about giving Big Papi a pitch to hit, and I responded. Now you're ignoring that and going off into completely different complaints.

If you want to be mad at Leyland for the 8th inning that's fine, because he does deserve some of it. I just don't understand why you'd let the players off the hook for their performances late in the game though.

We have know idea what Leyland said to Jb..but before the series all relief pitchers and catchers should know not to let Papi beat you on one pitch.. just these 2 games we had him all twisted up... keep it way off the plate. Hope he chases and hits it to center.

Again all of that should be done before the series starts... You know this.. 1 or 2 runs and you are still ahead.....damn it... we had this game wrapped up jIM

Last edited:
Back