Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs White Sox Game Thread, April 23rd

actually, Fister has been on the DL all year so it is very likely Smyly would have been starting and not in the pen.

Nope.

Smyly has only made 2 starts anyways. It's likely he would still be in the pen if we had Fister, even on the DL, and we would have brought someone up to make those few starts.

Last year he made 0 starts. Because when we needed a starter to cover an injury DD went to Toledo, rather than his bullpen.

Nope.

Smyly has only made 2 starts anyways. It's likely he would still be in the pen if we had Fister, even on the DL, and we would have brought someone up to make those few starts.

Last year he made 0 starts. Because when we needed a starter to cover an injury DD went to Toledo, rather than his bullpen.

last year he went with Alverez who is no longer with the orgainization. Also, Smyly has been in the pen this year. I think he has just as many innings in the BP as innings started.

I can only think of 1 game where middle relief came in and the game was lost. A majority of the damage in the BP this year was coke, al al, Nathan late in the game.....I don't recall smyly pitching in those late game situations too much...maybe im wrong.

Last edited:
Some truth to that though I seemed to remember he started pitching late more often in the latter part of the year.

As far as Fister, you really can't assume he'd be hurt here because he's hurt there.

I can only think of 1 game where middle relief came in and the game was lost. A majority of the damage in the BP this year was coke, al al, Nathan late in the game.....I don't recall smyly pitching in those late game situations too much...maybe im wrong.

60 of 63 appearances in 2013 were from 7-9 innings. What do you classify as middle relief?

30 came from the 8th Inning on.

Is 7th Inning middle relief?

Last edited:
Some truth to that though I seemed to remember he started pitching late more often in the latter part of the year.

As far as Fister, you really can't assume he'd be hurt here because he's hurt there.

the body breaks down. I would think it is much safer to assume that he would be hurt than to say he wouldn't.

the body breaks down. I would think it is much safer to assume that he would be hurt than to say he wouldn't.

He was hurt last year but my point is that there's really no way to know. In the end I still hate the trade though if the SP we got becomes decent I could change my mind..

He was hurt last year but my point is that there's really no way to know. In the end I still hate the trade though if the SP we got becomes decent I could change my mind..

That's how I feel. It is too early to say the trade is a bust because we don't know what Ray and Krol will turn into.

It might be a wait and see. However, the predictive stats don't tell a good story.

That's how I feel. It is too early to say the trade is a bust because we don't know what Ray and Krol will turn into.

Krol has sucked so far, there's no hiding that. I hope it's an easy mechanical fix or adjustment period, because we need an effective lefty.

I'm anxious to see how Ray turns out but I hope we don't rush him to the Bigs either.

And yet for the next 2 years it will be a negative. So the only way this trade works out to be at least even, is if Ray develops into a top 30 starter for at last 4 years (to counter the 2 years we lost on Fister).

It's a hell of a gamble to risk 2 years of proven quality pitching, for a mid level prospect. Could it work out? Yes. But it's a long shot.

60 of 63 appearances in 2013 were from 7-9 innings. What do you classify as middle relief?

30 came from the 8th Inning on.

Is 7th Inning middle relief?

then I was way off lol...thanks for clearing up my completely way off base selective memory lol.

And yet for the next 2 years it will be a negative. So the only way this trade works out to be at least even, is if Ray develops into a top 30 starter for at last 4 years (to counter the 2 years we lost on Fister).

It's a hell of a gamble to risk 2 years of proven quality pitching, for a mid level prospect. Could it work out? Yes. But it's a long shot.

You also are assuming that Fister will still be a top 30 pitcher for the next 2 years. His ERA and WHIP went up all 3 years here and last I heard he's still hurt.

You also are assuming that Fister will still be a top 30 pitcher for the next 2 years. His ERA and WHIP went up all 3 years here and last I heard he's still hurt.

He was a ground ball pitcher with our (old) infield defense...are we surprised his ERA and WHIP went up?

And he's making a rehab start Sunday, expected to be back in the rotation after that. All his bullpen sessions so far have shown improved velocity and no pain.

Back