Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tired of talking about 2013 and before.....

so you agree that the best way to increase your wins is to improve your defense?

One of many ways. Reducing turnovers is a good way. Especilaly with 34 of them. The Saints did that too (8 less). And that is Payton's portion of credit he gets. Though Brees could have done that anyway without him (7 less ints). Ryan gets some, Payton gets some credit.

And the Lions did a little of everything.

Offensive coaching additions, defensive coaching additions (usually happens with a new HC anyway) and added weapons and defensive talent too (Van Noy/Ihedigbo/Jones back). Plus they get some experience growth from young players. Saints got Galette and Jordan to have big years after younger bad years. Scheme change helped them too. Hello Slay and Ansah.

You are such an idiot. You were talking about Payton's coaching being the reason. I can't believe how stupid you are

rob ryan was the d cord for the raiders when they were awful, Cleveland, and dallas.....3 horrible teams with shitty defenses. So youre saying the 1 year hes hired by sean payton he miraculously is the reason the team did a 180? really? youre really that dumb?

rob ryan was the d cord for the raiders when they were awful, Cleveland, and dallas.....3 horrible teams with shitty defenses. So youre saying the 1 year hes hired by sean payton he miraculously is the reason the team did a 180? really? youre really that dumb?

Which probably points more to the players themselves.

Didn't he turn those defenses around though? The Saints were terrible 2 years ago. Rob Ryan walks in the door last year and they look like a completely different D. That's not just a coincidence...

Didn't he turn those defenses around though? The Saints were terrible 2 years ago. Rob Ryan walks in the door last year and they look like a completely different D. That's not just a coincidence...

no not really....dallas is predicted to be one of the worst teams in the league. They were one of the worst defenses in the league when he had them. definitely not turned around. Cleveland has been the shittiest team in the league tied with Detroit for the worst record in the league over the last 6 years. they definitely haven't turned it around. Oakland....ya...haven't turned it around. So again I ask....you think it has to do moreso cause rob ryan is there? or cause sean payton came back?

He did. they bought into his plan. Jones stuck his head in where it didn't belong is what I think. Ryan is a very good coach in my opinion.

no not really....dallas is predicted to be one of the worst teams in the league. They were one of the worst defenses in the league when he had them. definitely not turned around. Cleveland has been the shittiest team in the league tied with Detroit for the worst record in the league over the last 6 years. they definitely haven't turned it around. Oakland....ya...haven't turned it around. So again I ask....you think it has to do moreso cause rob ryan is there? or cause sean payton came back?

True. His defenses in Oakland and Cleveland were bad, but in Dallas, they were pretty good. Then he turned that D into a top 10 in New Orleans.

It's a combination of both, but i agree, the presence of Payton outweighs Ryan.

Sean Payton has nothing to do with the defense.

It's Rob Ryan, a scheme switch and players. Payton did nothing for the defense. Get it through your thick skull. The scheme switch helped Cam Jordan and Galette have great years. They added Keenan Lewis and Vaccaro to the secondary.

The point is. It wasn't fucking Payton alone.

And I don't give a flying fuck what Ryan did in any other shitty team.

Last edited:

It's Rob Ryan, a scheme switch and players. Payton did nothing for the defense. Get it through your thick skull. The scheme switch helped Cam Jordan and Galette have great years. They added Keenan Lewis and Vaccaro to the secondary.

so the head coach has no influence over the offense and defense? If the Lion's D or offense gets better this year Caldwell will have nothing to do with those improvements?

so the head coach has no influence over the offense and defense? If the Lion's D or offense gets better this year Caldwell will have nothing to do with those improvements?

The defense, not very much. And certainly not the main reason for major defensive improvement. That would be the players, scheme and Teryl Austin.

Not to mention the continuous meddling of Jerry Jones. He single handedly screwed that team up.

Not to mention the continuous meddling of Jerry Jones. He single handedly screwed that team up.

Over the years sometimes I wished on having a meddling owner over the alternative.

Another example of a coach mattering for the teams defense. Bears with lovie smith. And with trestman. 17.3 ppg to 29.9

Back