Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's Good Old American mass shooting brought to you by...

they're finding out more about the Lakewood Church shooter:
Moreno’s social media profile includes an Instagram post of a donation she made to Lakewood Church. Moreno wrote, “I will honor and bless my church.” Other posts include photos on how to clean an AR-15 assault-style rifle and a 2020 YouTube video in which Moreno warns of dangerous “psychopath” teachers preying on children online.
Typical Right Wing Poster stuff! I'm sure she'd get along great with posters here like tigermud and spartanmack.

She was a member of that church. The kid shot was her kid... poor kid is going to need serious therapy if he survives. From the record, I don't know if she intended to go and shoot people or was out of her mind. Mass shooters don't usually bring their kids. They don't usually have kids, I suppose. But maybe that could be a neat thing about America: Here ANYONE can grow up to be a mass shooter.

Ohio seemed to have a lot more megachurches than Illinois or Michigan (at least among Midwest states).

I remember seeing the one with the giant statue of Jesus with his hands in the air on a trip to visit family in Cincinnati. I've seen it in other pics on the internet.
Must've been somewhere along I-75

Texas has a lot of them, and I've heard the performances at services are really wild... like arena rock concerts almost, with people flying around, and lots of special effects. And they spend a lot of money on security usually as well, since everyone has guns and is borderline insane. A really healthy combination.

I think this shooting shows that Joel Osteen probably needs to up his security budget. You can't let a lady just walk in their holding an AR! come on!

But if you do, you have to wait until she kills at least one person before you stop her!

they're finding out more about the Lakewood Church shooter:
Moreno’s social media profile includes an Instagram post of a donation she made to Lakewood Church. Moreno wrote, “I will honor and bless my church.” Other posts include photos on how to clean an AR-15 assault-style rifle and a 2020 YouTube video in which Moreno warns of dangerous “psychopath” teachers preying on children online.
Typical Right Wing Poster stuff! I'm sure she'd get along great with posters here like tigermud and spartanmack.

She was a member of that church. The kid shot was her kid... poor kid is going to need serious therapy if he survives. From the record, I don't know if she intended to go and shoot people or was out of her mind. Mass shooters don't usually bring their kids. They don't usually have kids, I suppose. But maybe that could be a neat thing about America: Here ANYONE can grow up to be a mass shooter.

According to this article, it turns out this shooter probably has a lot more in common with you than Tigermud or myself...

"Lakewood Church shooter had history of mental health issues; anti-Semitic writings uncovered, HPD says"

If you just replace "mental health issues" with "Moron" you two antisemites are like peas in a pod. Who knows, maybe she's also as racist as you.

Shockingly, there's more to this than we are being told. Apparently the shooter used to identify as male and went by Jeffrey Escalante - what is this, the 5th or 6th LGBTQIA+ involved active/mass shooter incident in the last couple years?

And according to police, the shooter had a Palestine sticker on her rifle. Yeah, I think it's safe to say, this person has a lot more in common with posters like MC than others on this site.

But what I wonder is why mainstream media isn't covering these aspects of the story - probably because it doesn't fit the narrative that the biggest threat to safety in America is far right white supremacist violence.

Shockingly, there's more to this than we are being told. Apparently the shooter used to identify as male and went by Jeffrey Escalante - what is this, the 5th or 6th LGBTQIA+ involved active/mass shooter incident in the last couple years?

And according to police, the shooter had a Palestine sticker on her rifle. Yeah, I think it's safe to say, this person has a lot more in common with posters like MC than others on this site.

But what I wonder is why mainstream media isn't covering these aspects of the story - probably because it doesn't fit the narrative that the biggest threat to safety in America is far right white supremacist violence.

Reuters is reporting it. I'm not sure what qualifies as mainstream to you though.

Woman who fired gun inside Houston church left antisemitic writings, police say

Feb 12 (Reuters) - The woman who opened fire over the weekend at Joel Osteen's megachurch in Houston had a history of mental illness and a trail of "antisemitic writings," law enforcement officials said on Monday, as their search for a motive entered a second day.
Authorities identified the woman as 36-year-old Genesse Moreno, saying she had opened fire inside Lakewood Church on Sunday with her 7-year-old son in tow.

As a motive, they said they were looking at a range of possibilities: a family dispute, a history of mental illness, and potentially an opinion about the war in Gaza, pointing out that the gun she used in the shooting had a sticker that read "Palestine." Authorities also said they found "antisemitic writings" belonging to the suspect.
Two off-duty law enforcement officers who were working security at the church exchanged fire with and killed Moreno shortly before 2 p.m. local time in the hallway of the church as worshipers were arriving for a Spanish language service.

The 7-year-old boy, whom officials said was Moreno's son, was shot in the head and remained in critical condition on Monday. Officials previously said he was five years old.
"We do have some antisemitic writings that we have uncovered in this process," Christopher Hassig, commander of the Houston Police Department homicide division, told reporters in an update on the investigation. He did not say where the writings were found.

"We do believe that there was a familial dispute that has taken place between her ex-husband and her ex-husband's family and some of those individuals are Jewish, so we believe that that might possibly be where all of this stems from," Hassig said, emphasizing that the investigation is in its early stages.
Moreno, whom Hassig said had gone by several aliases, including a masculine name, had been put under an emergency detention order by Houston police in 2016, and had a documented mental health history, according to family members.

That’s one and the trans bit is in the last paragraph and they refer to it as her using an alias - not exactly clear and not quite widespread coverage. If this person was a Christian fundamentalist with a Jesus fish on her rifle it would be on every headline of every mainstream outlet.
While 'filthy, mentally ill transgender trash' might've been more of what you're looking for, that's generally not Reuters style. Also not as relevant imo as the information that preceded it. Regardless, I feel like you'd have had the same reaction if they led with their gender choices and followed with the pro Palestine stuff. No win scenario.

While 'filthy, mentally ill transgender trash' might've been more of what you're looking for, that's generally not Reuters style. Also not as relevant imo as the information that preceded it. Regardless, I feel like you'd have had the same reaction if they led with their gender choices and followed with the pro Palestine stuff. No win scenario.
Right, expecting consistency and truth in how these things are covered and pointing out the medias bias means I hate trans people. I actually don't expect the news to cover their bathing habits or opine on what kind of person they are. The point is, there is a set of rules around reporting these incidents in the mainstream media. The desire to link these shootings to a right wing cause to bring all of conservatism into question for it's incitement to white supremacist violence is obvious. But when a leftist commits one of these atrocities, any links to ideology are swept under the rug and we're told the problem is the guns and the NRA.

The immediate reaction is to link the shooting to some kind of anti-minorty, anti-muslim, anti-LGBTQIA, anti-jewish motive then when it comes out that the shooter was not an angry racist white man but rather a member of one of those communities, the story mysteriously disappears from the media that day.

But I guess it's easier for you to simply accuse people of hate than acknowledging the obvious.

Last edited:
Right, expecting consistency and truth in how these things are covered and pointing out the medias bias means I hate trans people. I actually don't expect the news to cover their bathing habits or opine on what kind of person they are. The point is, there is a set of rules around reporting these incidents in the mainstream media. The desire to link these shootings to a right wing cause to bring all of conservatism into question for it's incitement to white supremacist violence is obvious. But when a leftist commits one of these atrocities, any links to ideology are swept under the rug and we're told the problem is the guns and the NRA.

The immediate reaction is to link the shooting to some kind of anti-minorty, anti-muslim, anti-LGBTQIA, anti-jewish motive then when it comes out that the shooter was not an angry racist white man but rather a member of one of those communities, the story mysteriously disappears from the media that day.

But I guess it's easier for you to simply accuse people of hate than acknowledging the obvious.
I mean, you said no MSM is reporting it, it took me 5 seconds on my normal news site to find it and show you. And then you moved the goal posts because they didn't mention it sooner on the article. Can't help you there dude, I guess stick to newsmax.

I just don't know what to tell you, your post history gives off extreme negativity towards trans people. It is what it is.

I guess you got me there - I said no and you proved me wrong by finding one that buried the mention of it in the last paragraph. That totally destroys the point that the coverage is different when violence is committed by a leftist particularly if they’re a member of a protected class. Good job, we have a new pedant to take Gulo’s place. What took you so long?

As for my post history, I don’t know what to tell you - actually I know exactly what to tell you. If you’re reading invective or malice into my posts, that’s on you. Pushing back against an agenda that’s in direct contradiction to science and truth and is evil isn’t hate. That’s just an excuse people fall back on because they there is no logical defense against f the agenda.

nobody even mentioned the shooting at the KC SB rally today? It has to be someone that hates Taylor Swift, right?

Well at the time she was on a plane to Australia.

So if the aim was to take her out it was a complete swing and a miss.

nobody even mentioned the shooting at the KC SB rally today? It has to be someone that hates Taylor Swift, right?
Probably because it was one of those shootings that is the fault of the gun manufacturer and the NRA or in other words, not done by a straight white guy.

Was curious how long it would take until this new law popped someone.

After 2-year-old girl shoots self, man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s gun storage law

FLINT, Mich. (AP) — A Michigan man whose 2-year-old daughter shot herself in the head with his revolver last week pleaded not guilty after becoming the first person charged under the state’s new law requiring safe storage of guns.

Michael Tolbert, 44, of Flint, was arraigned Monday on nine felony charges including single counts of first-degree child abuse and violation of Michigan’s gun storage law, said John Potbury, Genesee County’s deputy chief assistant prosecuting attorney.

Tolbert’s daughter remained hospitalized Wednesday in critical condition from the Feb. 14 shooting, Potbury said. The youngster shot herself the day after Michigan’s new safe storage gun law took effect.

A not guilty plea was entered Monday on behalf of Tolbert, who also faces one count each of felon in possession of a firearm, felon in possession of ammunition, lying to a peace officer in a violent crime investigation and four counts of felony firearm, Potbury said.

He said Tolbert is barred from possessing firearms and ammunition because he has multiple firearms-related felony convictions and drug-related convictions.

Tolbert was being held at the Genesee County Jail on bond amounts totaling $250,000, according online court records.

Back