Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

week of the Ohio State football match

That's not a hitch pass. On a hitch the WR goes about 5 yards downfield then stops and turns around for the ball.

On a hitch pass the receiver never moves past the line of scrimmage. He opens up to the quarterback at the line of scrimmage and the ball is thrown. When singled up with a db, this is usually run when the db is 10yds off. When running the play 3 receivers to the right or 3 to the left, the receiver farthest from the line of scrimmage will receive the pass and the other 2 block. This is a hitch pass. I think you are thinking of a hook pattern. ;)

To add, Deathroh, I've been reading up on some definitions and they are wrong. This has been called a hitch pass ever since I was a little kid and into college. I have no idea where they are getting these new definitions, but the curl and hook routes are just that. Somehow they are being added to the term "hitch". I must be getting old.:(

Last edited:

Still hoping the "questionable" game plan and play calling last week was partially to keep things off film for Meyer & Co. I thought the playcalling was atrocious and didn't do anything to really help the offense as a whole, or O'Korn on a smaller scale.

Watch though, O'Korn will be QB and at the end of the game we'll wonder what in the world we just saw, like after I watched UM's spread elements in Carr's last game against Florida in the bowl game.

Still hoping the "questionable" game plan and play calling last week was partially to keep things off film for Meyer & Co. I thought the playcalling was atrocious and didn't do anything to really help the offense as a whole, or O'Korn on a smaller scale.

Watch though, O'Korn will be QB and at the end of the game we'll wonder what in the world we just saw, like after I watched UM's spread elements in Carr's last game against Florida in the bowl game.

We seem to enjoy opening the playbook up against Florida. We've played Florida three times and won each game.

2003: 38-30
2008: 41-35
2016: 41-7

Damn solid average of 40 PPG.

I bought this T-shirt in 1996. I have been updating it with the results of The Game since then. I almost ran out of room. Let's Go Blue and beat the Bucks!

VAglMxF.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this T-shirt in 1996. I have been updating it with the results of The Game since then. I almost ran out of room. Let's Go Blue and beat the Bucks!

VAglMxF.jpg

U need to cross off the score of the 2010 game since OSU had to vacate the wins from that season.

On a hitch pass the receiver never moves past the line of scrimmage. He opens up to the quarterback at the line of scrimmage and the ball is thrown. When singled up with a db, this is usually run when the db is 10yds off. When running the play 3 receivers to the right or 3 to the left, the receiver farthest from the line of scrimmage will receive the pass and the other 2 block. This is a hitch pass. I think you are thinking of a hook pattern. ;)

To add, Deathroh, I've been reading up on some definitions and they are wrong. This has been called a hitch pass ever since I was a little kid and into college. I have no idea where they are getting these new definitions, but the curl and hook routes are just that. Somehow they are being added to the term "hitch". I must be getting old.:(
Then how would you describe a hitch and go?

I'm going by what I knew through playing as well. We called what you're describing a "now" pass. Obviously room for variation when it comes to football terminology though.

U need to cross off the score of the 2010 game since OSU had to vacate the wins from that season.

I don't believe that vacating wins makes sense as a punishment for things that happened off the field. It only makes sense if a team cheated at a specific game. The NCAA wants to punish college sports programs for doing things that are illegal by their definition. But, the question is, how? People are going to do scandalous crap. These days, more of the scandals come to light because it is a society where there is more information and more whistle-blowers. It would really put the hurt on if you banned that sports program for 1 to 2 years. But, you see, if that logic applied to Michigan, then the Michigan basketball scandal would have gotten M basketball banned for 1 to 2 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Michigan_basketball_scandal

Last edited:
Then how would you describe a hitch and go?

I'm going by what I knew through playing as well. We called what you're describing a "now" pass. Obviously room for variation when it comes to football terminology though.

Dude, I have been thinking about that play all night. Split wide, turn toward/open up to the qb. QB pumps once to get the cb to break on the ball and the wr flies right by him. Being 10yds off, his momentum coming forward at the 5 yd mark will basically take him out of the play and you blow right by him(unless he grabs the jersey). And depending on where the safety is playing, the wr is hit long down the sideline or at the 15yd mark inside the pocket of the safety and cb. We ran a variation of this at Ferris with the TE lining up in the slot with fullback coming from the edge to kick out the LB over top of the TE. All in all its waiting for the pass at the line of scrimmage(only terminology I've ever known). I like this discussion, maybe bamf_16 can add his expertise as a coach.

What's the grave walk? Do they go see dead buckeyes?

every year, some local insurance agent gives a tour of the grave sites of Yost, Bo, and Ufer in the cemetery up there along Observatory & Geddes. I forget what the name of it is.

he said last year when the tour got to Bo's grave, a guy in the back said "mind if I say a few words?" ... that guy turned out to be Jim Harbaugh.

Back