Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Who will be the next WR to wear #1

bamf16 said:
Look how great the receivers were that wore the #1 jersey. Edwards, Terrell, Alexander, Carter.....those are elite receivers. (Tyrone Butterfield is a bit more of a question mark IMO)

I know it's easier to impress us now after the past couple seasons, but I don't think Junior Hemingway and Roy Roundtree are better than guys like Amani Toomer, Mercury Hayes, Marcus Knight and Jason Avant. Those guys weren't ever mentioned as potential #1 jerseys that I can remember.

I don't think the next WR to wear #1 is on the roster right now.

Well said. Add Super Mario to that list as well.

I forget, but didn't Desmond turn down wearing the #1? Something in the back of my mind is recalling that.

bamf16 said:
but I don't think Junior Hemingway and Roy Roundtree are better than guys like Amani Toomer, Mercury Hayes, Marcus Knight and <s>Jason Avant</s>. Those guys weren't ever mentioned as potential #1 jerseys that I can remember.

I'm not arguing that JR and Roy deserve it, but those guys weren't mentioned as potential #1's because to that point it had never been "earned". I've accepted that that's the new tradition, but it wasn't then. If you didn't come in as #1, you weren't going to be #1. Not until Braylon petitioned for it. A guy like Toomer would have easily earned the #1 in present day.

It's not that much of a tradition; it only really goes back to Braylon Edwards.

Anthony Carter was assigned the jersey #1 as a freshman, and the first time he touched the ball, he returned a punt for a touchdown.

After Carter's days a few other recievers, notably Derrick Alexander and David Terrel would be assigned the #1 jersey.

Braylon Edwards approached Coach Carr and requested the #1 jersey, and was told he would have to earn it.

So the tradition of specifically having to earn it goes back to Braylon Edwards.

I think the jersey should stay with the WR position. It makes it something that has to be earned and it is an honor to wear. When Braylon got his he put on some of the best performances we had ever seen by a wide receiver. Super Mario would of gotten it his senior season had he stayed. I think if Roundtree has a solid season he has a chance at getting number 1 next year if not I don't see anyone on the roster who has that #1 type potential.

honestly I think #21 should be the new #1. Who would we rather emulate, Desmond or Braylon? Need I link #1's rap sheet?.....

brandonlaz said:
I think the jersey should stay with the WR position. It makes it something that has to be earned and it is an honor to wear. When Braylon got his he put on some of the best performances we had ever seen by a wide receiver. Super Mario would of gotten it his senior season had he stayed. I think if Roundtree has a solid season he has a chance at getting number 1 next year if not I don't see anyone on the roster who has that #1 type potential.

If Mario did stay he would have tarnished the #1 with Steven Threat throwing the rock..

The next player to wear #1 is a kid named Peyton. Now he's only about 5months old right now, but he was the mvp of the diaper bowl, he was the shit in that game. Just give him some time to develop.

I doubt #1 is on the roster right now.

Although, I think that Gallon has tremendious upside. Hard telling how good he could be later in his career.

Back