Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Why the Hype on MSU Defense

lostleader

Who have they played?

1. Youngstown State 2-3 FCS school
128 rushing yards

2. Florida Atlantic 0-5 (112th Passing) (111th Rushing) (115th Points scored) Only 48 total yards 22 rushing

3. Notre Dame 4-2 (32nd Passing) (30th Rushing) (44th Points scored)
MSU's only loss* ND ran for 114 yards

4. Central Michigan 2-4 (58th Passing) (94th Rushing) (95th Points Scored) Mainly a passing offense

5. OSU 3-3 (111th Passing) (48th Rushing) (86th Points Scored)
MSU shut down this Offensive power house ???

6. MICHIGAN 6-0 (89th passing) (7th Rushing) (21st Points Scored)

MSU Stat Break Down:

Yrds/G = 173.4
Total Passing = 547
Total Rushing =320 only 143 attempts against

I don't get where the experts think they have an all powerful D. I have not watched 10 minutes of a MSU game this year so I am going off paper. Their are a lot of intangibles with this game, but I am not buying the best D in the Big Ten hype. This game is in EL so that helps MSU, don't buy that the bye week helps. The thing that I think is being grossly over looked in the UM D vs MSU O. I think that will be the difference in this game. MSU D vu UM O is going to be a good match up, a draw if you will. But their are 2 sides of the ball and I think the over picture favors UM!

their d-line has been killing teams. the LBs have also been better than advertised. Say what you want, but their D is still better than ours and better than ND's. If we take care of the ball, we'll be okay. If we get into a hole early, it'll be hard to get out of.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]their d-line has been killing teams. the LBs have also been better than advertised. Say what you want, but their D is still better than ours and better than ND's. If we take care of the ball, we'll be okay. If we get into a hole early, it'll be hard to get out of.

Love the sound of realisticness.Nothing to do with this thread but sometimes the biased opinion make me wanna puke.

true, there is always the SOS factor to consider. I have watched a couple of their games though, and their D does look solid. I agree with Monster.

It's kinda like what we saw in the Minnesota game: YES, Minnesota is terrible, however, we played well regardless.

MSU's D D-serves to be D-fended until further notice, or until Michigan shreds it like Hillary's Whitewater billing statements.

Their D is good. Is it the #1 d in the country I doubt it. Many of my sparty friends keep reminding me that they are #1 in total defense right now. But as the OP states they really havnt played many good offenses. We have played 3 of the top 66 offenses so far. This game will be a close game. I believe it will come down to mistakes. They seem confident that because they stopped Denard last year this year will be easier. I think we will so a lot of the 2 QB sets this week. I am willing to bet we will also see Denard catch a TD pass.

lostleader said:
Who have they played?

128 rushing yards

2. Florida Atlantic 0-5 (112th Passing) (111th Rushing) (115th Points scored) Only 48 total yards 22 rushing

4. Central Michigan 2-4 (58th Passing) (94th Rushing) (95th Points Scored) Mainly a passing offense

MSU Stat Break Down:

Yrds/G = 173.4
Total Passing = 547

I don't get where the experts think they have an all powerful D. I have not watched 10 minutes of a MSU game this year so I am going off paper. Their are a lot of intangibles with this game, but I am not buying the best D in the Big Ten hype. This game is in EL so that helps MSU, don't buy that the bye week helps. The thing that I think is being grossly over looked in the UM D vs MSU O. I think that will be the difference in this game. MSU D vu UM O is going to be a good match up, a draw if you will. But their are 2 sides of the ball and I think the over picture favors UM!

WHo cares who they have played. I don't know what their D ranking is now but it was #1 in the country going into the OSU game and we dominated that game from a defensive standpoint. You can also ask yourself, who has UM played ?

ND shut their O down after they got ahead by 3 td's...They could have had a lot more yards, but didn't bother...

Total defense is yards. Michigan's O didn't get any credit last year for yards and there D doesn't get credit for that either. Its all about scoring. Other than ND, who moved the football at will against them, they've faced some really bad offenses. Some say that their offenses are statistically bad because MSU dominated them...thing is, their D did the same thing to OH as Toledo and Miami Fla did. Miami Fla is less than impressive.

Does this mean, I'm guaranteeing victory? Nope, just that I'm not buying into this MSU D being super, totally awesome brah like I keeping hearing from MSU fan.

greenandwhite95 said:
lostleader said:
Who have they played?

128 rushing yards

MSU Stat Break Down:

Yrds/G = 173.4
Total Passing = 547

WHo cares who they have played. I don't know what their D ranking is now but it was #1 in the country going into the OSU game and we dominated that game from a defensive standpoint. You can also ask yourself, who has UM played ?

UM has played and beat Notre Dame. Notre Dame who beat MSU by 18 points.

TheWolverines24 said:
greenandwhite95 said:

. Common opponents mean nothing.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]
TheWolverines24 said:
. Common opponents mean nothing.

Quite right, but who they've played does matter. IF Michigan played Del St 5 times, they'd have pretty good stats, but it wouldn't mean a whole helluva lot.

Worthy and Gholston have been beastly thus far.. Luckily our oline is a strength and pretty damn athletic on the left.

Hungry said:
ND shut their O down after they got ahead by 3 td's...They could have had a lot more yards, but didn't bother...

Total defense is yards. Michigan's O didn't get any credit last year for yards and there D doesn't get credit for that either. Its all about scoring. Other than ND, who moved the football at will against them, they've faced some really bad offenses. Some say that their offenses are statistically bad because MSU dominated them...thing is, their D did the same thing to OH as Toledo and Miami Fla did. Miami Fla is less than impressive.

Does this mean, I'm guaranteeing victory? Nope, just that I'm not buying into this MSU D being super, totally awesome brah like I keeping hearing from MSU fan.

Just like I don't believe the hype about the UM offense, prove it on Saturday

I guess we're going to see who's right and who's crying on Saturday afternoon.

greenandwhite95 said:
Hungry said:

Just like I don't believe the hype about the UM offense, prove it on Saturday

I won't be able to prove anything.

What exactly is this hype about the MIchigan offense? Are the fans of Michigan saying things like, "we have the no 1 offense in America?"

lostleader said:
I don't get where the experts think they have an all powerful D. I have not watched 10 minutes of a MSU game this year so I am going off paper.

So how do you know they didn't play subs late and it was those subs that gave up the yards?

It's not that I disagree with you, but you can't look at the stats and see how they've just manhandled everyone but ND, who was playing really, really angry in front of a crowd that might have actually rioted had they lost that game.

Back