Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Would you rather...

Would you rather...

• ... go to church

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • ... listen to some sick Van Halen/Rush guitar licks all morning

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I chose church.

I would rarely go to church; but Christmas Eve 2017 I was in Santa Barbara with my wife and sister in law. We went to Midnight Mass at the Santa Barbara Mission. I?m glad I went. It was kind of a cool spectacle.

I would go to church for either a wedding or a funeral.

Both sad events but still for some people I would want to share the experience.

I?ve been to more weddings and funerals in temples than churches in recent years.

That?s about it.

Not really a fun of either band.

Both came after my listening to rock music on the radio/buying albums years.

I chose church.

I would rarely go to church; but Christmas Eve 2017 I was in Santa Barbara with my wife and sister in law. We went to Midnight Mass at the Santa Barbara Mission. I?m glad I went. It was kind of a cool spectacle.

I would go to church for either a wedding or a funeral.

Both sad events but still for some people I would want to share the experience.

I?ve been to more weddings and funerals in temples than churches in recent years.

That?s about it.

Not really a fun of either band.

Both came after my listening to rock music on the radio/buying albums years.

EDIT: I guess the funerals I?ve been to lately have been in a mortuary or funeral home as opposed to a temple.

EDIT 2: Crap, I quoted myself rather than editing my self.

An additional EDIT: I guess the previous edit would technically have just been EDIT as opposed to EDIT 2.

Last edited:
I'm an Atheist, but I also hate Rush.

So, I might just sit in church and Listen to Van Halen on earbuds.

I can do so many things listening to ANY kind of music in the morning. Easy choice.

Many of you know that I attend Daily Mass. I never listen to Rush or Van Halen.

C. Both - my kids love rock music and we often listen to Van Halen (even Running With The Devil) or Rush on our way to/from Church. They also request The Clash and Queen pretty regularly.

We had to discourage my 6 (now 7) year old daughter from requesting War Pigs every time we got in the minivan - I kinda forgot the lyrics when I played it with her in the car and she loved it.

I have to give you credit for mentioning Rush for guitar. Alex Lifeson is at the top of my list of most underrated guitarists - most people think of him as the 3rd guy in the band and don't give him the credit he deserves.

Last edited:
C. Both - my kids love rock music and we often listen to Van Halen (even Running With The Devil) or Rush on our way to/from Church. They also request The Clash and Queen pretty regularly.

We had to discourage my 6 (now 7) year old daughter from requesting War Pigs every time we got in the minivan - I kinda forgot the lyrics when I played it with her in the car and she loved it.

I have to give you credit for mentioning Rush for guitar. Alex Lifeson is at the top of my list of most underrated guitarists - most people think of him as the 3rd guy in the band and don't give him the credit he deserves.

Seems a bit counter-productive to me to play music that was/is heavily influenced and inspired by the Occult (by the admission of the musicians themselves) to kids on the way to church.

Seems a bit counter-productive to me to play music that was/is heavily influenced and inspired by the Occult (by the admission of the musicians themselves) to kids on the way to church.

If you?re referring to Black Sabbath, that was one song and it?s been taken off the playlist. I don?t really pay attention to lyrics and messaging so much and I kinda forget I wasn?t alone but my wife pointed it out and it?s not played anymore. As for Rush, I?ve seen a few documentaries and read articles about them and don?t recall much if anything about such influences. The mysticism in Rush music isn't much different from what?s found in a Tolkien story and I encourage my kids to read all those books. I?m less informed about the Van Halen story and their history but that music seems to be more about partying, maybe a little more debauched than some but definitely less than others and we havent exposed them to the entire lexicon (they haven?t heard Hot For Teacher, for example). Post David Lee Roth VH is very different.

I?m not really into knowing a bands history or personal stories and like i said, I don?t pay a lot of attention to lyrics/messaging so I?m open to the possibility that I?m just unaware of these influences.

Last edited:
If you?re referring to Black Sabbath, that was one song and it?s been taken off the playlist. I don?t really pay attention to lyrics and messaging so much and I kinda forget I wasn?t alone but my wife pointed it out and it?s not played anymore. As for Rush, I?ve seen a few documentaries and read articles about them and don?t recall much if anything about such influences. The mysticism in Rush music isn't much different from what?s found in a Tolkien story and I encourage my kids to read all those books. I?m less informed about the Van Halen story and their history but that music seems to be more about partying, maybe a little more debauched than some but definitely less than others and we havent exposed them to the entire lexicon (they haven?t heard Hot For Teacher, for example). Post David Lee Roth VH is very different.

I?m not really into knowing a bands history or personal stories and like i said, I don?t pay a lot of attention to lyrics/messaging so I?m open to the possibility that I?m just unaware of these influences.

I'm saying that the music industry for decades has been steeped in occult symbolism and it displays it openly.

Last edited:
I'm saying that the music industry for decades has been steeped in occult symbolism and it displays it openly.

You know, I always kinda figured their nods to the devil and the occult were really tongue-in-cheek responses to the pastors who claimed rock and roll was a tool of the devil, burned records, and what not.

They know that the devil isn't real, but the profits they make are.

There probably are some bands that really are satanists or into the occult, like those insane Scandinavian metal bands, but they're marginal, and never had the audience that Black Sabbath, AC/DC or those legions of crappy hair metal bands in the 80's did.

You know, I always kinda figured their nods to the devil and the occult were really tongue-in-cheek responses to the pastors who claimed rock and roll was a tool of the devil, burned records, and what not.

They know that the devil isn't real, but the profits they make are.

There probably are some bands that really are satanists or into the occult, like those insane Scandinavian metal bands, but they're marginal, and never had the audience that Black Sabbath, AC/DC or those legions of crappy hair metal bands in the 80's did.

Just a little marginal and cursory investigation would demonstrate that these performers have embraced the occult so that they can, as a reward, become famous.

Just a little marginal and cursory investigation would demonstrate that these performers have embraced the occult so that they can, as a reward, become famous.

When Al Pacino played the devil in a movie, would you say he "embraced the occult" too?

When Al Pacino played the devil in a movie, would you say he "embraced the occult" too?

Keep mocking, MC. When you inhale your final breath, I hope that you have a nanosecond at minimum to repent. You will certainly do so.

fair but isn't it possible to enjoy the music without endorsing the lifestyle or the fact that the artists may have sold their souls for fame and fortune? I feel the same way about rock stars as I do actors, athletes and other celebrities or famous people (especially politicians). While I would like them to realize to some they're role models and behave as such, they're not my role models.

Plus, my kids are at the age where Dance the Night Away, Subdivisions or Rock the Casbah may very well prevent an argument on the way to/from Church or wherever else we may be going.

Last edited:
Back