Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2014 DET Offense

Maybe it won't be so bad, they should at least be slightly better at manufacturing a damn run once in awhile now when needed...less station to station albeit less base runners so it's probably all a wash..or maybe if miggy stays healthy and hits .800 this year will get it done still.

Lol

Last edited:
Maybe it won't be so bad, they should at least be slightly better at manufacturing a damn run once in awhile now when needed...less station to station albeit less base runners so it's probably all a wash..or maybe if miggy stays healthy and hits .800 this year will get it done still.

Lol

DET was last in the AL in Late/Close homeruns (16). 5 of those HRs departed with the players no longer on the team and 4 belong to Cabrera. That leaves 7.

DET was 12th in the AL in homeruns (37) from Innings 7-9 and 13th in runs. Subtract Cabrera's 9, you have 28 then subtract 12 for those no longer on the team and you have 16.

Kinsler 1 close/late HR 1 HR between 7-9 innings
Davis 1 close/late HR 1 HR between 7-9 innings
Lombardozzi 1 close/late HR 1 HR between 7-9 innings

Davis 15 SB 0 CS close/late 18 SB 1 CS between 7-9 innings
Kinsler 5 SB 1 CS close/late 6 SB 1 CS between 7-9 innings
Lombadozzi 1 SB 1 CS close/late 1 SB 1 CS 7-9 innings

We still will be the worst or one of the worst at hitting HRs in close/late and 7-9 innings. We will be better at stealing bases, but not all stolen bases equals a run.

from twitter: Rajai Davis is the only player in history to enjoy at least four seasons with more than 40 steals and fewer than 70 runs scored.

Boy im glad about all those useful stolen bases.

from twitter: Rajai Davis is the only player in history to enjoy at least four seasons with more than 40 steals and fewer than 70 runs scored.

Boy im glad about all those useful stolen bases.

Wooo. That has to be wrong. Isn't there a formula I just saw that proved speed turns into runs scored?

Wooo. That has to be wrong. Isn't there a formula I just saw that proved speed turns into runs scored?

I know, right? But i checked fangraphs!

'09: 125G, 41SB, 65R
'10: 143G, 50SB, 66R
('11: 95G, 34SB, 44R - not 40 steals, but not 70R either)
'12: 142G, 46SB, 64R
'13: 108G, 45SB, 49R

I know, right? But i checked fangraphs!

'09: 125G, 41SB, 65R
'10: 143G, 50SB, 66R
('11: 95G, 34SB, 44R - not 40 steals, but not 70R either)
'12: 142G, 46SB, 64R
'13: 108G, 45SB, 49R

I always thought that most stat guys on this board say that runs and RBI are team dependant

I always thought that most stat guys on this board say that runs and RBI are team dependant

they are, which also points out why gaudy stolen base totals often mean jack shit. whats the point of Davis stealing a bunch of bases if we cant knock him in very often? he's basically guaranteed to hit near the bottom of the lineup, meaning he'll be followed by iggy at the very least every time he plays. thats not a recipe for him scoring a lot of runs, no matter how many bases he steals.

its why i think stolen bases are super overrated.

Fuck fan graphs and WAR and whatever the fuck. I'll check back in April.

im not a fan of war either, but thats not the only stat on there (or on baseball-reference). its a great site to look up whatever stat you want, saber or otherwise. i looked up stolen bases and runs scored.

Top 10 Teams - Stolen Bases
1. Kansas City - 153 (18th in runs)
2. Texas - 149 (8th in runs)
3. Milwaukee - 142 (19th in runs)
4. Boston - 123 (1st in runs)
5. San Diego - 118 (24th in runs)
6. Cleveland - 117 (6th in runs)
7. NY Yankees - 115 (16th in runs)
8. NY Mets - 114 (23rd in runs)
9. Toronto - 112 (9th in runs)
10. Colorado - 112 (10th in runs)

Not sure if it means much, but it doesn't look like there's much correlation between the two stats.

I do think stolen bases are a bit overrated. I put more stock in the ability to take the extra base. For example going 1st to 3rd, scoring from 1st on a gapper, scoring from 2nd on a shallow single.

In that regaurd I do see this team being a lot better at and should help the run production. How many time last year did we see 3 singles in a row without a run scored?

I do think stolen bases are a bit overrated. I put more stock in the ability to take the extra base. For example going 1st to 3rd, scoring from 1st on a gapper, scoring from 2nd on a shallow single.

In that regaurd I do see this team being a lot better at and should help the run production. How many time last year did we see 3 singles in a row without a run scored?

Except all those guys that are going to do that, all are low contact rate guys and low OBP.

So again the fact that they're fast is pretty irrelevant unless they are on base, and have the guys behind them hitting as well.

Back