Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 35 - Tigers vs. Orioles - May 13, 7:05 PM, Camden Yards

LGRW_9

Tigers
1. Ian Kinsler (R) 2B
2. Torii "I'm Gonna Whoop Yo Ass" Hunter (R) RF
3. Miguel Cabrera (R) DH
4. Victor Martinez (S) 1B
5. J.D. Martinez (R) LF
6. Austin Jackson (R) CF
7. Nick Castellanos (R) 3B
8. Alex Avila (L) C
9. Andrew Romine (S) SS

SP: Drew Smyly (L)

Orioles
1. Nick Markakis (L) RF
2. Manny Machado (R) 3B
3. Adam Jones (R) CF
4. Chris Davis (L) 1B
5. Nelson Cruz (R) LF (might need a flak jacket)
6. J.J. Hardy (R) SS
7. Steve Pearce (R) DH
8. Jonathan Schoop (R) 2B
9. Caleb Joseph (R) C

SP: Ubaldo Jiminez (R)

MLB Gameday Preview: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2014_05_13_detmlb_balmlb_1&mode=preview
ESPN Preview: http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview?id=340513101

Prediction: Phil Coke comes in to do some mop-up work, is asked to "retaliate", and misses.

Last edited:
Hope JD Martinez can have a nice game tonight. Maybe he can find his power stroke again in a homer friendly park.

qfdeueiwesgiw5fhgn3u.gif

JD Martinez: .290 OBP, .647 OPS
A. Jackson: .360 OBP. .809 OPS
Alex Avila: .344 OBP, .716 OPS

Yeah, it does matter.

what I mean is on any given night those guys are pretty interchangeable. It's not like we are talking about putting Miggy in the 8 hole or anything.

what I mean is on any given night those guys are pretty interchangeable. It's not like we are talking about putting Miggy in the 8 hole or anything.

Well IMO, until JD proves otherwise he is a bottom 3rd hitter. And Jackson should be behind Victor, or leading off, he is not getting much credit but he's doing a fantastic job. Who would have though Ajax of all people would have 15 walks and only 20 K's?

Well IMO, until JD proves otherwise he is a bottom 3rd hitter. And Jackson should be behind Victor, or leading off, he is not getting much credit but he's doing a fantastic job. Who would have though Ajax of all people would have 15 walks and only 20 K's?

I hear ya. I am of the opinion that A Jax is hitting better in part because he is relaxed and comfortable hitting down in the order. Baseball is such a mental game...maybe he was pressing batting lead off. If it is working don't change it!

AJax should really be 5th, but im not gonna argue much. At least its not Kelly 5th again lols

I hear ya. I am of the opinion that A Jax is hitting better in part because he is relaxed and comfortable hitting down in the order. Baseball is such a mental game...maybe he was pressing batting lead off. If it is working don't change it!

And I am of the opinion that with "veteran" MLB hitters all of that doesn't matter. If he is pressing, then a coach or another player should just tell him to knock it off. Jackson isn't the greatest leadoff hitter, but he is head and shoulders above everyone else we have.

2014 Leading Off an inning (DET is 12th in the AL)

Avila .389 OBP
Jackson .375 OBP
D. Kelly .375 OBP
Romine .368 OBP
Kinsler .340 OBP

Hunter .318 OBP
Holaday .300 OBP

V. Martinez .256 OBP
Castellanos .250 OBP
M. Cabrera .222 OBP
R. Davis .212
J.D. Martinez .167 OBP
A. Gonzalez .167 OBP

1st Batter of the game (DET is 13th in the AL)

R. Davis .286 OBP
I. Kinsler .250 OBP

And I am of the opinion that with "veteran" MLB hitters all of that doesn't matter. If he is pressing, then a coach or another player should just tell him to knock it off. Jackson isn't the greatest leadoff hitter, but he is head and shoulders above everyone else we have.

Avila .389 OBP
Jackson .375 OBP
D. Kelly .375 OBP
Romine .368 OBP
Kinsler .340 OBP

Hunter .318 OBP
Holaday .300 OBP

V. Martinez .256 OBP
Castellanos .250 OBP
M. Cabrera .222 OBP
R. Davis .212
J.D. Martinez .167 OBP
A. Gonzalez .167 OBP

R. Davis .286 OBP
I. Kinsler .250 OBP

Yup, we saw this same stat yesterday when you posted it.

Avila .389 OBP
Jackson .375 OBP
D. Kelly .375 OBP
Romine .368 OBP
Kinsler .340 OBP

Hunter .318 OBP
Holaday .300 OBP

V. Martinez .256 OBP
Castellanos .250 OBP
M. Cabrera .222 OBP
R. Davis .212
J.D. Martinez .167 OBP
A. Gonzalez .167 OBP

R. Davis .286 OBP
I. Kinsler .250 OBP

so...just tell him to knock it off and all is well? It is about putting your players in the best position for them to have success and in turn it will help the team's success. If a player produces in the #6 hole but not in the #1 hole why would you put him at the top of the order?

so...just tell him to knock it off and all is well? It is about putting your players in the best position for them to have success and in turn it will help the team's success. If a player produces in the #6 hole but not in the #1 hole why would you put him at the top of the order?

But is there any evidence he wont produce in the leadoff spot now? Maybe he's regained confidence at the plate, I don't know, but we can't assume he's only doing well because he's batting 5-7.

Did I say it wasn't relevant?

Hey Gilligan, why don't you let the skipper handle his own affairs?

I'm sorry I did not realize you sent that in a PM. It seemed like you posted it in a public thread.

Apologies all around, troll away.

If only someone would have told Prince to knock it off last year. He would have hit 10 more HRs and been a beast in the playoffs.

Back