Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Herrmann to Iowa

Just weird.. But then Mattision coached at ND... I thought that was weird too.

I have no idea what kind of DC he would be at this point. His defenses were good for a while, then they were merely ok. He presided over a notably bad defensive season ('00). They collapsed horribly against ohio in '04, and '05. Statistically, they probably weren't that bad though.

His defenses were great when he had great talent. He didnt seem to be able to coach up his players.

lostleader said:
Not even close to a home run like Mattison.

agree. he could make a big difference there, but it's not going to be a guarantee. I'm not sure how much talent he has to work with given all their losses due to disciplinary issues.

it seems like in normal situations (i.e. not RichRod forced 3-3-5 scheme situations) a new DC has a better-than-average first year because he brings a lot of enthusiasm to the role. that may happen here. I feel like Iowa always follows up bad seasons with good ones, so 2012 could be a big year for them

DR said:
This might hint at why Carr was so gung ho about Ferentz.

maybe. but I think the words "gung ho" might be a little strong here, and of course... this is now more than four years after Ferentz was discussed as a potential replacement...

whoever wrote that article seems to have missed something:<blockquote>the New York Giants linebackers coach in question is Jim Herrmann.</blockquote>up until that point in the article, no NYG LBs coach has been mentioned. Where the hell is he coming from with this? Did this writer study alongside Mo C at ohio state?

MichChamp02 said:
DR said:
This might hint at why Carr was so gung ho about Ferentz.

maybe. but I think the words "gung ho" might be a little strong here, and of course... this is now more than four years after Ferentz was discussed as a potential replacement...

Ok, it's fair to say Ferentz was his "outside" choice though, right? I haven't read the book and didn't follow all of that as zealously as some.

But the elapsed time doesn't matter, it just shows a like mindedness with Carr in philosophy.

DR said:
MichChamp02 said:

Ok, it's fair to say Ferentz was his "outside" choice though, right? I haven't read the book and didn't follow all of that as zealously as some.

But the elapsed time doesn't matter, it just shows a like mindedness with Carr in philosophy.

there are certainly some similarities between Carr and Ferentz; both were Big Ten assistants in the 80's to legendary coaches (Ferentz @ Iowa under Fry), and both are originally more mild-mannered, soft-spoken guys from the midwest.

I always thought the comparisons were kinda superficial, but maybe there's something to it. Hermann figures, hey if I got along with Carr, I'll probably get along with Ferentz.

So we should expect Iowa defenses to become poor tacklers and play a conservative, "prevent defense" for the majority of the games?

Herrmann was terrible. Look what Ron English did with the exact same roster the year after he left. Hell, Hermann almost made English the hottest coordinator in CFB that year.

Back