Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoke is great recruiter but you

Michlady

Have to do something with them once they are here

We supposedly have recruited talent but we are struggling

Coaching?

No complaints on development on the defensive side.

On the offense, I think Funchess and Gallon have developed quite nicely. Gardner's development has been okay (and perhaps would be better if not for the half season at WR).

It's all about the O-line then, I guess. These guys are very young, and I take the experts' word that O-line is the most difficult position to develop. Despite that, it seems that something more is amiss. If these guys are/will be any good, you'd think that overall skill would make up for some of the deficiencies in experience.

Furthermore, if you're going to give all offensive responsibility to the OC - that person needs to be capable of the job. At this point it's clear that Borges is not capable of that position.

The moment Borges ran a play fake on like 2nd and 30 I was completely sure of his inability as an OC. MSU was destroying any running game we attempted and there was basically no chance we were doing anything in that situation other than passing. The play took crucial seconds to develop and caused the 2nd or 3rd sack in a row.

We're being out-coached and losing to teams with worse talent. Even more embarrassing, we had 2 weeks to prepare for this game and that's what we came up with.

I don't have any problems with what our defense did. A lot of their points came in garbage time when everyone essentially had no hope. The game was well within reach for most of the four quarters.

Last edited:
O-line has been thrown into the fire before they are ready. Take a look at the O-line recruiting for 2009-2011 and its clear why the O-line is in such bad shape. O-line will be better next year and much better the year after.

O-line has been thrown into the fire before they are ready. Take a look at the O-line recruiting for 2009-2011 and its clear why the O-line is in such bad shape. O-line will be better next year and much better the year after.

There's an excuse there for why our offensive line isn't great, there isn't an excuse for why our offensive line was unable to get positive rushing yards against Sparty and allowed, what has to be close to, a record number of sacks in a game.

Furthermore, if you're going to give all offensive responsibility to the OC - that person needs to be capable of the job. At this point it's clear that Borges is not capable of that position.

The moment Borges ran a play fake on like 2nd and 30 I was completely sure of his inability as an OC. MSU was destroying any running game we attempted and there was basically no chance we were doing anything in that situation other than passing. The play took crucial seconds to develop and caused the 2nd or 3rd sack in a row.

We're being out-coached and losing to teams with worse talent. Even more embarrassing, we had 2 weeks to prepare for this game and that's what we came up with.

I don't have any problems with what our defense did. A lot of their points came in garbage time when everyone essentially had no hope. The game was well within reach for most of the four quarters.

I think your assessment of the defense is a bit lenient. If Cook were just a bit above average as a QB, State puts up at least 21 in the first half. Our D is decent against the run but we get no pressure on the QB and our secondary always seems to have their back to the ball, or are completely out of position.

I think your assessment of the defense is a bit lenient. If Cook were just a bit above average as a QB, State puts up at least 21 in the first half. Our D is decent against the run but we get no pressure on the QB and our secondary always seems to have their back to the ball, or are completely out of position.

Seems to happen a lot. They just got lucky that the MSU QB is not very good/experienced.

I am tired of being out coached. That is something that shouldn't happen week in and week out.

Back