Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hypothetical - You Are The New Owner

lions2011

Of a brand new NFL Franchise and have your choice of any player in the NFL to pluck off another teams roster to make your "franchise" player to start your team..

who ya taking ????

Im taking Aaron Rodgers.

SLICK said:
Of a brand new NFL Franchise and have your choice of any player in the NFL to pluck off another teams roster to make your "franchise" player to start your team..

who ya taking ????

Im taking Aaron Rodgers.

i'm taking suh dammit......

DMoney1980 said:
SLICK said:

who ya taking ????

Im taking Aaron Rodgers.

Nah , you got CJ....afterall why would you pass on the "best" player in the league.

SLICK said:
DMoney1980 said:

Nah , you got CJ....afterall why would you pass on the "best" player in the league.

sure, he's the best currently.....(in my humble opinion) but i know football and i'm not an idiot. what's the use of having a great wideout if there's no one there to throw him the ball? if i couldn't get my hands on a franchise quarterback, i would draft d-line first, because if you have a good to great one......you're always in the fucking football game. hell, the lions were the greatest examples of that last year......we sure as hell didn't win early but we were always in the contest.....before we coughed the mutherfucker up.

but knowing me i would probably STILL go defensive line first anyhow even if there was a decent qb staring me right in the face. fuck it, i just wanna hurt people.....

I would suck with any Luck

Why take Rodgers if the rest of the team is going to be filled with draft picks and other teams' flotsam and jetsam?? By the time you built a team around Rodgers, he would be destroyed by concussion/injuries from being sacked frequently or near the end of the line due to age.

tongue.png

Cool question but there is more to it. Is this team an expansion team? If so, what are my key players I am looking to acquire. Because, with an expansion team I am best off trying to secure one side of the ball. So if I am able to get a couple Olineman that are really good, then I go with Rodgers. But, if the top players available are on the defensive side of the ball I may go with Revis or Willis or Suh

Offense wise id take rodgers over anyone.

But defense it might be tougher. Suh, raji, willis, claymaker. Sure there's other young defense studs if I sat down and thought about it.

Ill do a top 5 since i think anyone with half a brain should pick Rodgers:

1) Rodgers
2) Long
3) Suh
4) Willis
5) Revis

If this was a draft I'd probably go a defensive player and start there. Later on I'll get a capable QB.

Defense used to win championships until the whole game got slanted towards the pass. QB/LT/Pass Rusher most important positions now.

Great question. My first thought was also Aaron Rodgers, but I think I'd actually take Jake Long first. He's younger by a year, is a physical freak, plays a position where he's going to make the rest of the offense better, and he's less likely to suffer a career ending injury that could put your franchise out of commission.

Others in the running off the top of my head would be Suh, CJ, Ngata, Matthews, Joe Thomas, and Revis. Obviously age is a huge factor in this whole equation.

Offense: a QB that can maneuver in the pocket should it collapse: Rodgers
Defense: a legit edge rusher: Ware

Back