Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ithaca may have to be in D-5 this year

Winners of 5 of the last 6 title games in division 6. The Yellowjackets are 97-3 last 100 games and thier jv is 98-12-3 with six jv losses coming in one sesason. But with enrollment up they will be on the border of d5 and d6. With GR west catholic in d5 it will be super hard ..

http://usatodayhss.com/2016/mccabe-new-division-for-ithaca-may-make-title-run-more-difficult

Is enrollment the only reason someone moves up or down..? If it is, maybe that needs to change.

Enrollment is how they seed divisons 1-8. Top 32 are in d1. 33-64 d2. And so on down to the last till they get all 256 teams. If you play a nine game schedule you need to win 6 games to make the playoffs or 6-3. If you play a eight game schedule you need to go 5-3. Now each season there is never enough teams to fit 256. So using playoff points they take the teams with the most points from 5-4 teams . Usually around five to twenty plus teams 5-4 make it in. Then some 4-4 teams on eight game schedules make it but it's kinda rare.

I agree things should be tweaked . Too many private schools are better then their enrollment. d7 Detroit Loyola, and D8 Muskegon Catholic Central Could Win in much higher divisons along with some other private schools. Some but not many public schools could be in higher division but it's not a easy fix. I was for splitting public and private up but not so sure now. I also hat hiw they do the districts based solely on geographical decisions. I some cases it should be used for long travel. It is bullcrap that any 6-3 teams get a home game in any district then the next district nearest may have four teams in it with 8-1 or 9-0 records playing each other .I hope the mshaa adapts but you watch it will happen when it's easily preventable.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't realize so many teams made the playoffs. In the early 80's when I was in HS they didn't have so many divisions. And 6-7-8 wins didn't guarantee anything.. Even 8-1 and winning the division, where my school played, didn't guarantee a playoff spot. In-fact most likely not.

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't realize so many teams made the playoffs. In the early 80's when I was in HS they didn't have so many divisions. And 6-7-8 wins didn't guarantee anything.. Even 8-1 and winning the division, where my school played, didn't guarantee a playoff spot. In-fact most likely not.

Yup and that is why I think they changed it. To many 8-1 and a few undefeated would miss out. Plus even some decent 7-2 teams. Now maybe they went to far in letting in 6-3 and 5-4 teams but I perfer more not less. Grand rapids west Catholic plays a really hard schedule and had won titles with 4 losses . Orchard Lake st. Mary's has also won a State title with multiple losses.I don't know what to do about teams like Muskegon Catholic Central . If you look in their past they have won the state B title when there was just four classes. Now in division 8 it takes a Monumental upset to beat them. I sort of believe that some private schools should have to play up one division or two divisions but I'm really not sure.

Last edited:
Yup and that is why I think they changed it. To many 8-1 and a few undefeated would miss out. Plus even some decent 7-2 teams. Now maybe they went to far in letting in 6-3 and 5-4 teams but I perfer more not less. Grand rapids west Catholic plays a really hard schedule and had won titles with 4 losses . Orchard Lake st. Mary's has also won a State title with multiple losses.I don't know what to do about teams like Muskegon Catholic Central . If you look in their past they have won the state B title when there was just four classes. Now in division 8 it takes a Monumental upset to beat them. I sort of believe that some private schools should have to play up one division or two divisions but I'm really not sure.

The one thing I have with private schools, if they still do it .. recruiting. A remember a guy that lived just a few miles from me - I lived in Brighton, him in Hartland - he played for CC I believe. Went to Michigan afterward.. Another guy I knew went to Brother Rice. It makes it so hard for these public schools. Probably why after HS being a HS football fan wasn't for me..

Last edited:
The one thing I have with private schools, if they still do it .. recruiting. A remember a guy that lived just a few miles from me - I lived in Brighton, him in Hartland - he played for CC I believe. Went to Michigan afterward.. Another guy I knew went to Brother Rice. It makes it so hard for these public schools. Probably why after HS being a HS football fan wasn't for me..

Yeah I agree I have a hard time rooting or private schools because they do have a advantage over public school teamsystem. But that said east grand rapids won 5 state titles in a row recently and some said they stretched the boundaries on getting kids enrolled. Not sure though.

Back